Home Theater -> Golfsim retrofit
Collapse
X
-
Making progress The black flooring is 3/4 rubber. The turf is rubber backed putting turf.
Leave a comment:
-
This is part of the while basement repair - new floor color. Just thought I'd share some of the larger job.
Leave a comment:
-
Looking good. We just ordered our simulator today. Went with a 10X15.5 carls place enclosure. That screen size calls for a 16:10 ratio, however after looking at the actual viewing size, we ended up going 16:9. 16:9 is the native size for movies and we wanted a dual-purpose space similar to yours. We also found it difficult to find a good all-around projector capable of shooting 16:10. We went with the Optoma ZH450ST which is technically capable of 16:10. This was the best compromise we could find for size, price, and lumens.
Hope it all works out for you! excited to see it all finished!
Leave a comment:
-
Well, the SigPro premium screen is ordered. 155x99 with a 150x94 (16:10) projection area.
Ordered the flooring Turf. 23' x 15' roll from Practice Sports - model Grand Slam.
I think I'm now going to get the BenQ AH700ST.....I think 4000lms will be bright enough given my testing with prior projects and for sub $2k, I'm saving a bit. This will allow me to the get the TruGolf Multi-Sport cam for my wife.
Hopefully will have some more pictures sooner.... waiting on contruction progress on the rest of the basement now.
Leave a comment:
-
Yeah. Really depends. I chose a native 16:10 Panasonic initially because at the time the space was mainly going to be for golf sim and that is what the golf sim gurus were recommending. That and the particular projectors being recommended were ideal for distance to screen vs golfer (so you're not blocking the bottom of the screen in your follow through) and it was very bright. In my case, I have lots of windows in my sim room and wanted to be able to get a decent image even in the middle of the day with curtains open.
I see the BenQ is a laser projector. So likely plenty bright. But since you're in a basement brightness may not be as important as it was for me. But you probably know you also have to put the projector in a location where it's close and high enough that you won't hit it with your swing and, in your follow through or even just addressing the ball, you're not blocking the bottom of the screen. That's annoying. So a shorter throw projector with lots of lens shift is typically required.
Leave a comment:
-
So I'm still torn between getting the benq lk936ST for the 4k and mounting position and something like the panasonic PT-VMZ61 or PT-VMZ71. (16:10 1920x1200). The 61 is certainly bright enough and seem like maybe a $200-ish difference.
The panasonic will work, but will be mount a few feet futher back than the BenQ.
The screen is a SIG pro premium custom with a viewable area of right at 94 tall x 151 wide.
Thoughts to sway me one way or another?
The benefit of sticking with 1080 size is that all the current AV equipment is 1080 vs 4k so I would not have to upgrade that to take advantage of the 4k BenQ
W
Leave a comment:
-
I also like to geek out on this as well. I can't say that having a simulator has helped my actual on course golf either :-)
-
By the way. My room also doubles as a theater. I have my golf sim projector and a JVC RS-2000 right behind it for movies. Golf sim projector is a Panasonic with native 16:10 and bright enough for simming even during the day time. But the JVC is for TV, concert, and movies.
Leave a comment:
-
Just noticed this thread while looking up posts from another member so I'll chime in. You may have already decided on this though. I built my home sim bay in my guest house a couple years back. My recommendation is to go with a native 16:10 image/projector. The added height does help unless you just have a massive impact screen. Mine is 13'W x 8' tall. I was limited by width as my space is 14' W x 23' D. Ceilings are plenty high at 13'. I'm hitting from 10' back and wedges still hit the top of the impact screen rather than the black border above the screen though it wouldn't matter if it hit the border above either. I have a foam panel ceiling to protect from "problem shots". Feel free to ask any questions. I like to geek out on this stuff. All my bros/golf buddies just want to hit balls. They have no idea what it took to get it to where it is.
Good Luck. Looks like a really nice space.
Leave a comment:
-
This is exactly what I had planned on doing. Any idea where you are going to get the foam from? Seems like I will have to stack foam layers. Not sure if there is anything wrong with that?
-
Thanks!!! That is good feedback to hear. I've watched a lot of videos and of course there are a range of opinions! :-)Originally posted by english1969 View PostThis is the turf I'm going to use to cover the hitting area floor. GrandSlam foam backed turf:
Get the ultimate turf solution with steel-spike resistance and UV-inhibitors. Durable, shock-absorbent, and versatile, perfect for batting cages.
As of now, I'm planning to use a SigProSofty at a depth of 2 3/8 inches so I'm going to build up the floor with Rubber/Eva firm foam at a heigh of 1.75 inches. This plus the height of the turf (5/8) matches the height of the sigpro.
The alternate is the go with the carl's place advanced divot hitting strip that is a little less thick.
Any thoughts on the best divot hitting strip?
Thanks,
WE
Leave a comment:
-
english1969 I have the 4'x10' Sigpro Softy with the hitting insert and honestly, I couldn't imagine a better sim experience. I'm sure that there are other good mats/strips on the market but I can say with certainty that this mat/strip is amazing! Good Luck!
Leave a comment: