Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Gary Satterwhite winning the TGC 2017 Summer Tour - PGA Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2017 Summer Tour - Wyndham Championship with 2 rounds at Tobacco Dunes Golf Club ProTee : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...m-championship
See more
See less

Rickie Fowler's 43.5 inch driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickie Fowler's 43.5 inch driver

I have found it hard for average joe to get a shorter driver shaft because of the changes in swing weight and flex points and all that stuff. I have not been able to demo a short driver staff. My driver swing speed is 99-102 MPH so a stiff shaft is what works for me. Wondering if a X-Stff 3-wood shaft (43.5 inches generally) would play like a stiff shaft with a driver head?

I'm a newbie for the most part so I can't add much to this. I would say though that my next driver shaft with fitting will be 43" or so. I have been chocking up on my driver to meet this length for the past year and it has worked out well. Certainly has made me strike the ball better and cut down on slices.

Comment

Originally posted by JROOKS View Post
      I have found it hard for average joe to get a shorter driver shaft because of the changes in swing weight and flex points and all that stuff. I have not been able to demo a short driver staff. My driver swing speed is 99-102 MPH so a stiff shaft is what works for me. Wondering if a X-Stff 3-wood shaft (43.5 inches generally) would play like a stiff shaft with a driver head?
      For the most part they are the same shafts to start with and the tip is trimmed differently for both, so if you had a tip trimmed shaft for a 3 wood it would be much stiffer than the same shaft that was tip trimmed for a driver. Even if you trim the a driver shaft from the butt you need to add weight to the head and the more weight you add will also affect the feel and stiffness of the shaft - and just remember x,s,r are different among companies and there is no standard, so someone's r-flex could easily be s-flex or more in someone else's shaft or even between models in the same company

Comment

Mxwoodman has the gist of it. Though many 3wood shafts are heavier to start with (overall weight not swing weight).

Here is a handy article that should give you a guide; https://www.golfworks.com/manipulating-shaft-flex/a/14/

You may find you need to get an Xstiff, butt cut it, then add some yarn/cotton balls to the head till it feels right. That should get the flex,feel,weight right. Though you may find that you need to take 2" off the butt, tip it .5" and then add "x" grams to the head.

Comment

You can also go with an ultra-lightweight grip which will help offset the decreased shaft length by add 4 to 5 swing weight points back.

Comment

If you have a golf show coming near you, see if you can find old shaft pulls. Makes for great trial and error at a cheap cost. A "good" driver fitting is well worth the money. Trying shafts at different lengths and seeing the impact pattern is quite beneficial. I had an R11s when they first came out and the damn thing was almost 46". My current driver is just over 43.

Comment

Working...
            X