Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please post your lighting setups for use with Optishot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please post your lighting setups for use with Optishot

    Really honing in on my simulator setup and need to determine the best lighting to use with my Optishot. My setup is in the basement with next to zero ambient light. I have a 10' x 10' x 10' netted enclosure that I had to trim down a few inches due to ceiling height of 9' 8". I have an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 730HD on the way, it will be set back at about 15' and directed onto one of Coreys impact cloth screens. Working on building a stance platform that I can set the sensor pad into. About the only remaining piece is lighting. I have seen several different setups and some use a floor mounted lamp directed to the sensor pad, while others are using an overhead light of some sort. I would like to use an overhead light as i can recess it into the joist area above, as the ceiling is currently unfinished.

    So, feel free to chime in with what lighting recommendations you have!!

  • #2
    Hey madspeed. I posted a picture of my setup in the the General Questions thread. I can't really speak for the recess lighting, sorry. For me, any standard CFL bulb works well. I also have the best results if the only light in the room is that of the projector and the CFL bulbs. Directly overhead like you're planning should work really well because it will almost completely eliminate and problems with shadows.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your input, I'll take a look at your pic

      Comment


      • #4
        Ah, I did see your pic earlier! That looks like some pretty direct lighting. Is it necessary to have a spot light directed at the sensor pad?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by madspeed View Post
          Ah, I did see your pic earlier! That looks like some pretty direct lighting. Is it necessary to have a spot light directed at the sensor pad?
          Different people have different results honestly. I don't know that it's necessary. CatMan for instance doesn't use any direct lighting, the only light in his sim room is from the projector. That setup is just what gave me the most consistency.

          Comment


          • #6
            Welcome to the club Madspeed , Here's my lighting set up that works great and gives the hitting zone a spotlight.
            [URL="http://Www.onlinegolftour.net"]Www.onlinegolftour.net[/URL]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Maxxx View Post
              Welcome to the club Madspeed , Here's my lighting set up that works great and gives the hitting zone a spotlight.
              I like the seamless cutout approach with the mat, Maxxx. Like I stated in my response in the general questions thread, wish I had the balls to try that. Might give it a shot eventually. I'm jealous of your ball dispenser as well, I remember reading in the Ottawa golf forums how you modified it. Btw... your youtube videos are basically the reason I bought an Optishot. Haha. It was your "3 holes at Firth of Forth" video I think. I didn't know it was you until we started the league. I think Dancin' Dogg owes you some form of a commission. Haha

              Comment


              • #8
                Speaking of golf ball dispensers.... i was fortunate to pick one of these babies up from a pro Shop that was closing down a couple of years ago. It is totally awesome!!! This is not my video, but one i found of the same machine in action.

                Hacker Helper is proud to introduce new and innovative Driving Range products designed to enhance their facilities and their revenue. With the Automatic Golf...


                www.titaniumgolf.com - Automatic Golf Ball Dispenser runs on rechargeable 12 volt battery, light weight and portable, holds 125 balls and automatically tees ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by madspeed View Post
                  Speaking of golf ball dispensers.... i was fortunate to pick one of these babies up from a pro Shop that was closing down a couple of years ago. It is totally awesome!!! This is not my video, but one i found of the same machine in action.

                  Hacker Helper is proud to introduce new and innovative Driving Range products designed to enhance their facilities and their revenue. With the Automatic Golf...


                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0f4JO-qwQ
                  That is sick! Make sure to post a picture of your completed setup.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    will do, hope to find time within the next few days to build my stance platform

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks dude ! I'm glad the videos did some good. I was itching to play online for a long time. The more our army grows the better
                      Originally posted by Vincent_Vega View Post

                      I like the seamless cutout approach with the mat, Maxxx. Like I stated in my response in the general questions thread, wish I had the balls to try that. Might give it a shot eventually. I'm jealous of your ball dispenser as well, I remember reading in the Ottawa golf forums how you modified it. Btw... your youtube videos are basically the reason I bought an Optishot. Haha. It was your "3 holes at Firth of Forth" video I think. I didn't know it was you until we started the league. I think Dancin' Dogg owes you some form of a commission. Haha
                      [URL="http://Www.onlinegolftour.net"]Www.onlinegolftour.net[/URL]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here's my setup. I have a monster tee turf with cutouts for the sensors. I actually have two Optishots and one for the lefty and one for the righty. You will see in my pics I have to offset the Optishot because if directly in the center the wall would be a little too close in your back swing. So I have a A/B USB selector switch so it's as easy as hitting a button to activate the left or right Optishot.

                        I have two lights mounted in the ceiling that I leave on while playing. These lights have a CFL bulb in them and works very well. I've tried with one light on, or both on, and the results seem to be the same.

                        A good tip to cut out your turf for the sensors is to get your Optishot aligned where you want it. Then take electrical tape and lay it on the sensors with sticky side pointing up. Then roll the turf gently over the optishot. Press down and roll back. You should now have the tape where the sensors are aligned. Now take a marker or something and draw around the rectangle of the tape. You will want to use a box cutter that is very sharp to cut it out. You will want to make your cut out quite a bit bigger than what was marked with the tape. Your better off bigger than smaller cut outs (to eliminate turf interfering with the readings). After you make your cut out then you will want to use a scissors to trim back ALOT of the turf so its a little rounded edge on the top. You will trim a lot off if it's the monster tee turf.

                        Also recommend a NUM Keypad and mouse pad near your setup so you don't have to walk back to the computer all the time for switching clubs or direction.

                        See next post for pictures. Having issues posting pictures. Receiving errors.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.JPG
Views:	7276
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	22229
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG
Views:	6896
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	22230

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here are more pics
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2381.JPG
Views:	6532
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	22234
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2382.JPG
Views:	6656
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	22235

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here are more pics
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384.JPG
Views:	6736
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	22239
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2385.JPG
Views:	8237
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	22240

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here are more pics
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.JPG
Views:	8204
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	22243
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2409.JPG
Views:	6627
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	22244

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X