DIY Superspeed Training sticks for under $50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Superspeed Training sticks for under $50

I’ve been thinking about trying these for a while but the price seemed a little much for a shaft with a weight at the end. So I came across another thread about making your own and figured I’d give it a shot. I ended up making these for under $50. Shafts (Adams/Grafalloy wood shaft sku 710430) were from diamond tour golf and it was $25 for three shafts including shipping. I had some leftover grips that I got on clearance, I think they were under $1.50per grip. The weights and screws were $18. I had to buy a 100 pack of the washers, if you can find it in the 50 it would lower the price even more. No need to cut shafts since they were the correct length already. The fender washers shown fit nicely over the shaft with not much play. I epoxied the washers onto the shaft and together and then epoxied the screw and smaller washer to the end to hold it all in place. Then I added a little bit of lead tape at the end to get it to the exact weights of the superspeed set. I then taped over the weights with the color to match, except for the green, had to use white instead. Not bad for a quarter of the price, we’ll see if I actually see any results in hitting it further. I know what my max ballspeed is so if it goes up, that’s all that matters.

Specs
    Light Club 45" 255 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 10x 5/16 washer)
    Medium Club 45" 290 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 13x 5/15 washer)
    Heavy Club 45" 335 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 17x 5/16 washer)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_13456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	219719
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C32352B8-BEBB-4A1F-B326-D8E921CBDAE4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	219720 Click image for larger version  Name:	522B7EC4-B93F-4066-82F7-1A79E1A87640.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	219721 Click image for larger version  Name:	9E1564B3-E484-454E-BA97-CEB16080FA82.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	219722 Click image for larger version  Name:	51F6E270-24DD-49AF-B953-1E14609F8DAF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	280.5 KB ID:	219723

Attached Files
    Last edited by wbond; 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM.

Very cool project!

I am confused a bit on the screws and the smaller washer. How did you epoxy these to the shaft? I am guessing you put epoxy on the screw threads and the head of the screw to the smaller washer then put this inside the base of the shaft?

Either way I appreciate you posting this as I was just searching for the other product similar to what these end up doing and for this price... if it works would be awesome!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Burtgolf What i did was first find a washer that was close to a snug fit to go over the shaft, that's the one with the 5/16" id. Then i had to hold those in place while swinging and i didn't want to rely on just epoxy between the washer and shaft, so what i did was find a screw that was close to snug to fit inside the shaft. The smaller washer fits over the screw without much play, and then the larger washer butts up against those. The process was to prep the shaft like you would if you were inserting it into a clubhead, then put some epoxy on the prepped shaft and the bottom side of the washer and continue placing washers on the shaft until you have them all installed. Then put epoxy inside the end of the shaft and on the screw itself and insert all the way until it's seated. To stop the washers from being pushed up the shaft, i just wrapped some tape around there temporarily to hold them in place.

So screw inside of shaft, smaller washer to have it centered on the screw, then the large washers to reach desired weight.

Comment

• Agent 87
        Agent 87 commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks as though you took a some care in making these.They look great. I was thinking of making my own as well. Do you mind telling me how you arrived at the stated weights?

Agent 87 I followed the weights of the superspeed sticks. They were stated somewhere.

Comment

Is the overall weight after everything is done the weights on your first post?

Comment

Hi wbond - This is a great post, which I had not seen before. Thanks to Daddio for bumping it into today's posts!

I have a couple of questions:

i) as with above question - is the weight the total weight including shaft and grip, or the weight of the washers / bolt only?
          ii) is the suggestion that these should all be driver shafts? I ask because I have a few spare fairway wood shafts, and I was wondering if it could be done with either shafts of varying lengths, or cut them all down to the same length?

Comment

Daddio GoldenSim The weights listed above are the overall weight of the club. Here are the specs from superspeed.
            Green "Light Adult" club 45" 255 grams
            Blue "Medium Adult" club 45" 290 grams
            Red "Heavy Adult" club 45" 335 grams
            Here is a quote from them.
            This SuperSpeed swing trainer is optimized for players who play a standard weight men's driver with an overall weight between 275 and 300 grams.

Comment

• GoldenSim
              GoldenSim commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I feel another project coming on

Originally posted by wbond View Post
            Not bad for a quarter of the price, we’ll see if I actually see any results in hitting it further. I know what my max ballspeed is so if it goes up, that’s all that matters.

I never got a chance to make this, glad it came back up. The shaft I have is solid at the bottom so did not know what I could do to get the washers to stay on it without the fear of them flying off during one of the swings I have done some research and found there was a huge study on this years ago (overspeed training) and it was found the middle weight was all that was needed for the study group that had the most improvement. I have been doing the protocols with just a shaft with a grip, then flipping it over where the grip is at the bottom then swinging my driver and have not seen any improvement .. actually have lost ball speed probably more to lack of center contact than anything else. But is is good for a quick cardio workout too

Really interested if you have seen any improvements in ball speed?

Comment

• wbond
              wbond commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I have definitely hit with a higher ball speed than ever before on my driver and four wood. The problem though is now I hit it in both directions which I never have in my life and it’s horrible. No matter what I could only hit a draw for past 25+ years now it can go right and really right. Or left and really left. I think It’s also made me more inconsistent. Very difficult to play when you don’t know how far it’s going or where it’s going.

• GoldenSim
              GoldenSim commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmmm - interesting feedback. Thanks wbond And it makes sense. Maybe this project goes on the back burner again... I have enough issues

wbond what your saying is the EXACT issue I am having, I am all over the place either way left or way right and more often way right. I too used to have a very predictable draw with the occasional hook. Now its no clue aim down the center and hope.. Weird part is I still have a nice draw with the irons and hybrids .. just got off the SkyTrak about an hour ago and quit even trying to hit driver, I got a 17 degree hybrid that I am hitting about the same ball speed as driver but I know its going to start right and come back towards the center..sucks for par5s and long par4s but better than OB left or OB right!

Now I am thinking time to stop doing the protocol and just go back to being happy with whatever my driver will give me with center contact and HOPE I can get some type of control back!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I find the same thing with my irons, draws are no problem. However, I'm really struggling with distance consistency throughout the bag. I also believe that indoor swing comes and goes with me.
              Originally posted by Burtgolf View Post
              wbond what your saying is the EXACT issue I am having, I am all over the place either way left or way right and more often way right. I too used to have a very predictable draw with the occasional hook. Now its no clue aim down the center and hope.. Weird part is I still have a nice draw with the irons and hybrids .. just got off the SkyTrak about an hour ago and quit even trying to hit driver, I got a 17 degree hybrid that I am hitting about the same ball speed as driver but I know its going to start right and come back towards the center..sucks for par5s and long par4s but better than OB left or OB right!

Now I am thinking time to stop doing the protocol and just go back to being happy with whatever my driver will give me with center contact and HOPE I can get some type of control back!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Burtgolf
                Burtgolf commented
                Editing a comment
                I was questioning myself on the indoor swing as everything from 17 hybrid and down are pretty spot on minus the over draw on some of them. Seems like its just 3 wood and Driver that I am having issues with currently. Was hitting everything pretty good before starting this great search to increase swing/ball speed. So if your thinking your indoor swing comes and goes that would make sense if that is what this current situation is.

I’ve been thinking about trying these for a while but the price seemed a little much for a shaft with a weight at the end. So I came across another thread about making your own and figured I’d give it a shot. I ended up making these for under $50. Shafts (Adams/Grafalloy wood shaft sku 710430) were from diamond tour golf and it was $25 for three shafts including shipping. I had some leftover grips that I got on clearance, I think they were under $1.50per grip. The weights and screws were $18. I had to buy a 100 pack of the washers, if you can find it in the 50 it would lower the price even more. No need to cut shafts since they were the correct length already. The fender washers shown fit nicely over the shaft with not much play. I epoxied the washers onto the shaft and together and then epoxied the screw and smaller washer to the end to hold it all in place. Then I added a little bit of lead tape at the end to get it to the exact weights of the superspeed set. I then taped over the weights with the color to match, except for the green, had to use white instead. Not bad for a quarter of the price, we’ll see if I actually see any results in hitting it further. I know what my max ballspeed is so if it goes up, that’s all that matters.

Specs
              Light Club 45" 255 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 10x 5/16 washer)
              Medium Club 45" 290 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 13x 5/15 washer)
              Heavy Club 45" 335 grams (screw, 2x 1/8 washer and 17x 5/16 washer)

Click image for larger version Name:	image_13456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	219719
              Click image for larger version Name:	C32352B8-BEBB-4A1F-B326-D8E921CBDAE4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	219720 Click image for larger version Name:	522B7EC4-B93F-4066-82F7-1A79E1A87640.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	219721 Click image for larger version Name:	9E1564B3-E484-454E-BA97-CEB16080FA82.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	219722 Click image for larger version Name:	51F6E270-24DD-49AF-B953-1E14609F8DAF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	280.5 KB ID:	219723

wbond any interest in selling these? I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Comment

wbond as a follow up have you got your control and consistency back since you stopped using them?

Comment

It's slowly coming back, but no where near yet where i'd like it. Before, i hit only a draw no matter what. Wondering which way the ball is going to go is never fun.
                  Originally posted by pwade3 View Post
                  wbond as a follow up have you got your control and consistency back since you stopped using them?

Comment

No my kids still use them.
                    Originally posted by Liveonce View Post

wbond any interest in selling these? I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Comment

It's slowly coming back, but no where near yet where i'd like it. Before, i hit only a draw no matter what. Wondering which way the ball is going to go is never fun.

We’ll, I guess I will live with my 230 carry draw and just be happy with that. I was really close to building or purchasing the speed sticks. I’m getting to old anyway. I might move to a hot climate at 4000 elevation to make myself feel better. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Comment

• wbond
                        wbond commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, I would consider that a perfect shot. A ball moving left to right has never crossed my mind until using these, getting back to that confidence level is what i'm after. No doubt though, it will add speed, whether you are able to control it is the issue, if you are, totally worth it. Unfortunately for me, i could not.
                    Working...
                    X