Avoiding the driver and use a Driving Iron

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stilllearnin
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2019
    • 1

    #1

    Avoiding the driver and use a Driving Iron

    Hey guys

    Just got back into golfing and despite a full season under my belt I can't seem to figure out my driver or fairway woods. I started looking up other options and came across this article on the best driving irons for high handicaps (thatsagimmie.com/best-driving-irons). I joined the forum because it said that some players use driving irons to replace their driver or fairway woods if they're better iron players.

    It seems kind of confusing to find trustworthy golf info so I thought I'd post here to see if that makes sense or if I should just keep working on my driver and woods until I get the hang of it?
  • aja
    Super Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 689

    #2
    Keep working on your driver and woods...

    Read the article that you quoted - it says that the driving iron is one of the hardest clubs to hit. Basically you are talking about a 2 or 1 iron. Those are very unforgiving irons. There's a reason a lot of the iron sets being sold leave out the 3 and 4 irons these days...

    And in case you haven't heard it: What did Lee Trevino do when there was a Lightning delay during a round? He held up his one iron to protect himself from Lightning. Why? Because not even God can hit a one iron!

    Go and get a lesson. And ignore the golf instruction on the internet.

    I couldn't hit my driver straight, Kept hitting "outside in" which results in a wicked slice. Read every piece of advice and it was all useless. Saw one clip of a PGA pro showing the proper swing, and that made a lot of difference. Here it is: https://www.pgadigitalgolfacademy.co...g-path-001817/

    Comment

    • Laboroflove
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2016
      • 168

      #3
      aja Have to agree with aja. Take that two or three hundred that you would spend on the driving iron and get some professional instruction. Best thing I’ve ever done for my swing. Even pro’s need a coach, so do you. Trust me it’s worth it.

      Comment

      • Lamania
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2019
        • 3

        #4
        I buy used sets while training or searching budget proposals for example here https://golfclubguru.net/best-value-...ovement-irons/

        Comment

        Working...