Getting properly fit for lie angle etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting properly fit for lie angle etc

So full disclosure... I'm not a good golfer. I played with a big-box store set of irons for about 12 years, then "upgraded" and got "fit" at a golf galaxy for a bargain set of TM RBZ irons 4-PW, about 6 or 7 years ago. Perhaps the fitter realized I was just a horrible player or he just didnt care as he was trying to get me to buy this set, but, after talking to a few good golfers, and a few reputable fitters, they all said the same thing... My lie angle was far too upright for my hand/swing positions. For years, I had a horrible swing and would open the club face and spray them out right all the time, then last year with the help of Skytrak and playing much more golf, got my swing a bit better and started to maintain that face path and keep it presenting square to target, but now I'm either drawing or pulling shots to the left too much.

My buddy has a set of older Mizuno forged wedges that he had fit to him and I tried them. First impression was, "These are Blades, I'm screwed and not going to be able to hit them" but to my surprise I was hitting them about the same distances as my gaming irons, but what i noticed was my flight path of the balls were fairly representative of where I thought I was aiming myself to. His PW was like a precision instrument in my hands. I was keeping the majority of my shots in a 5-yd dispersion. I just assumed its because these clubs were just so much higher quality then mine... Then I looked closer...

Comparing my club to his, I noticed that at address, my toe was pretty high up in the air whereas his Mizuno was almost dead flat... I showed this to a fitting friend and he instantly said that those clubs are less upright than mine... So I asked if they could bend mine down to fix it. He said, "I might break them since they are cast" He recommended a full fitting and new clubs...

So now, I'm either going to buy new clubs or possibly try to get my buddy to sell me his old Mizuno's and sacrifice some distance when I'm not hitting out of the middle (Which I'm fine with, as I'd rather be straight and short, than long and way off target)

Moral of this story
    Get fit by a reputable and skilled Golf Club Fitter and budget for clubs that either can be adjusted, or they can order you a set that is meant for your lie angles, or else you will spend years like I did tring to adjust your swing, face path, etc.

You can test the lie angles yourself with much better accuracy then just basing it on address position which has no real correlation to angle at impact. Put a vertical line on the ball with a dry erase marker and put in on the ground with line vertical and facing the clubface. Then hit a shot, the mark will transfer to the club and if it's vertical on the face, lie angle is fine, if it's tilted, then you would need a different lie angle on the clubs. I think if it's toward the toe, you need a flatter lie and vice versa for upright. Cast can be bent, but there is some risk. Also, when testing, don't hit into your good screen, put up a sheet or something since the mark will transfer to the screen on impact.

Also, club type is such an individual preference that blade vs game improvement is somewhat overblown. For example, my middle son just started playing late this summer and is totally hooked. His current ability screams game improvement clubs however, he literally cannot hit them well at all. He hit's MB's way better and way more consistent.
    Last edited by wbond; 11-20-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I actually did that... My line is pointing outward towards the toe, which confirmed my theory about lie angle at address. I was also able to test it with my pitching wedge by standing much more upright and forcing an address that seemed super unnatural to me... It straightened the line up considerably, but I literally felt like I was going to fall over after every and my hands/arms were pushed way high.

Personally, when I go get my clubs there are going to be 3 factors when looking at them:
      1. Price needs to be somewhat reasonable
      2. Perfomance (I'm happy with my yardages, I don't need more distance really) I don't care about being shamed by my buddy who carrys 150 with his PW where I struggle to get my 9i to 145. If I'm consistent then Let it be.
      3. Looks. If i could afford and play with those new Wilson Pro Staff Blades, I'd buy them in a heartbeat... They are dead sexy

Comment

• wbond
        wbond commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, blades are definitely the best looking clubs out there.

Not sure where you are located, but I have high regard/recommend Club Champion as a fitting and building service.

The time spent, the chance to hit every brand/model you could imagine, the combination options (even grips), talk about an absolutely custom fit set!!

Ended up costing me +$275 over an off the shelf stock set at PGA Superstore...which compromises on shaft selection, and requires me to regrip (I do it myself, but still $75-100)

Took 6 days from fit to delivery.

😎👍🏼

Comment

• skwierczynski
        skwierczynski commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to Club Champion also. Glad I did cause now im getting 30 - 40yds more with each club in my bag. I'm a 12 handicapper so every yard helps

I'm in Connecticut and we have quite a few good fitters here, however I didnt know that years ago when I bought my RBZ's. There is a fitter in CT called Chris Cote's Golf Shop and they are a top 100 fitter year over year and I plan on getting fitted by them. I went to them to get fitted for my Bettinardi Putter, and my experience was just so enjoyable. Everyone there, at both locations are super nice and just really you feel like you are working with a good friend or family member.

Comment

Getting fit can be different and even will be different when using different fitters. Some fitters believe in changing lie angle from what might be considered optimal in order to improve ones ball flight. That is if ones ball flight tends to be right and/or a fade, a more upright lie may be in order. On the other hand, if ones ball flight tends to be left and/or left to right, a flatter lie may be in order. So, I would say it's important to know your tendencies and how the fitter fits clubs before you go in.

Comment

You know Its one of those things... I am going in for a full bag fitting after Christmas. I told my buddy who I shoot with and play golf, and he basically was like "Why? You are not good enough and don't play enough to warrant spending in the neighborhood of $2K on clubs..." I felt a little defeated when he said that, because yeah I'm not that good, but I've improved massively ever since getting my Skytrak. I can tell you I really hate my clubs. I just do. Even hitting his old blades made me feel better and more confident than i do with my RBZ's. I also saw no detrimental effects going from my cavity back to the Mizuno Blades he had.

I mean, I know buying a new set is not going to make me that much better. I'm committed to practice and trying to get better. One area I know I need a new club is my Driver... I'm gaming an old SLDR with a graphalloy 65g pro launch stiff. I feel like my old Nike Sq driver was more forgiving than this thing.

Any opinions or observations about this?

Comment

First, a lot will be just purely about confidence and personal preference. If you prefer the look of blades vs oversize GI clubs you will probably, on average, play better with them. Getting fit will help if you need adjustments on any of the following, lie angle, length, shaft weight, grip size, etc. The SLDR was not a forgiving club and wasn't a good fit for many people. More than likely the Nike driver was more forgiving. I'd say go through with it, it certainly won't hurt. Once you know your specs, you can then search for clubs to match. Don't forget about a putter fitting as well. I went through the Edel fitting and it was eye opening to see perception vs reality on aim.
            Originally posted by SkeetShooter View Post
            You know Its one of those things... I am going in for a full bag fitting after Christmas. I told my buddy who I shoot with and play golf, and he basically was like "Why? You are not good enough and don't play enough to warrant spending in the neighborhood of $2K on clubs..." I felt a little defeated when he said that, because yeah I'm not that good, but I've improved massively ever since getting my Skytrak. I can tell you I really hate my clubs. I just do. Even hitting his old blades made me feel better and more confident than i do with my RBZ's. I also saw no detrimental effects going from my cavity back to the Mizuno Blades he had.

I mean, I know buying a new set is not going to make me that much better. I'm committed to practice and trying to get better. One area I know I need a new club is my Driver... I'm gaming an old SLDR with a graphalloy 65g pro launch stiff. I feel like my old Nike Sq driver was more forgiving than this thing.

Any opinions or observations about this?

Comment

Thanks wbond I actually did already go through a putter fitting for my Bettinardi putter. I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. I really want to hit those Wilson Staff Pro blades that came out... Just to see what its like. Plus they are sexy as hell. haha

Comment

Just an update on this. Had my fitting on Friday last week and wow... Really what a great experience. Now I know what a fitting should be like. Unfortunately we ran out of time to get a full bag done, but that's OK. My fitter really wanted to give me every chance to try clubs that I wanted with the correct shaft. So first off. I came from a standard Lie, standard length, and standard stiff shaft on my TM RBZ irons. After just a few swings, the fitter remarked that I had not been correctly fitted previously based on swing speed alone (Let alone lie angle)

Went directly into X-Stiff shafts, and settled on I think (I have to look once I get them) on KBS C-TAPER 130G X-STIFF through all my irons and into my wedges (Only purchased a 54, but I think I'm going to get a 58 as well.

As far as brands, I tried Mizuno 919 series, Callaway Apex Forged, Taylor Made 790 AND 760. I really wanted the 790's, after hitting a few shots with each of these, I ended up with the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal irons. This was a surprise for me as I was really thinking that I could go smaller head and have tighter disperson (The 760's actually were really close to the results of the Mizuno's, but I didn't like the sound and they were a little short (I have a tendency to hit the very bottom few grooves on most irons)

The Mizuno's were just really nice. Good feel (for me at least) sound, looks, price. It was a winner. Moving into wedges. I tried the Mack Daddy 4, Ping Glide 2.0, Mizuno, and the Volkey's... Started with the Volkey's and were immediately impressed. Mizuno's were a close second, and then it was Callaway and dead last was the Ping... Felt way too light and just blah.

Going back next week to get fit for fairway woods and a Driver.

If you are in CT, get fit at Chris Cote's in Portland, CT. My fitter was Joe and he was great! Can't recommend them enough!

Comment

Working...
                X