Could be confusing and inequitable though. Driver ball speed of 130 on gc2 and SkyTrak are likely similar but if SkyTrak has boost now its giving them an unfair advantage.
5% Boost Protee Rules
Collapse
X
-
I'm in the no boost camp. I have had a skytrak before I bought my GC2. I know the differences between the systems and while their is a slight deviation in numbers it really has had no effect on my scoring. My concern with the philosophy allowing boost is that in golf no swing is perfectly consistent and we have to adjust our game to our swing and playing conditions. Even in a real life tournament we have all seen where groups with different starting times get more favorable conditions. You just have to play the ball as it lies. Also most of the courses are not over 6,800 that we play on the tour.
In my opinion, the bigger issue in fairness is that shots outside of the fairway are not penalized enough. Watching some of the ghosts and seeing people taking lines that no one would take in real life cheapen the experience.
Nonetheless, I still find the sim a great way to keep my swing in the off season while having some fun competition.
Comment
-
Completely agree with cheapening the experience. It’s just bomb and gouge with no course management. Boost incentivizes distance and minimizes accuracy and course management. In these ultra short competitive rounds I’ve resorted to just hitting 2-6 iron off the tee so i can have a somewhat realistic approach into the green. Almost every par 4 is 360 and shorter and it’s just drive and chip. Albeit very entertaining and fun experience. Just think it’d be more fun and competitive without boost.Originally posted by nickm52 View PostI'm in the no boost camp. I have had a skytrak before I bought my GC2. I know the differences between the systems and while their is a slight deviation in numbers it really has had no effect on my scoring. My concern with the philosophy allowing boost is that in golf no swing is perfectly consistent and we have to adjust our game to our swing and playing conditions. Even in a real life tournament we have all seen where groups with different starting times get more favorable conditions. You just have to play the ball as it lies. Also most of the courses are not over 6,800 that we play on the tour.
In my opinion, the bigger issue in fairness is that shots outside of the fairway are not penalized enough. Watching some of the ghosts and seeing people taking lines that no one would take in real life cheapen the experience.
Nonetheless, I still find the sim a great way to keep my swing in the off season while having some fun competition.
Comment
-
Straight putting patch fixed a big issue. The only place i see the skytrak being an issue would be the short game, there is a disadvantage there. You either have to have the short game on so it reads all the time and deal with the rollout due to spin or turn it off and you may have to hit over and over until it reads. If you have over 150mph ball speed, you can be losing some there as well, but for the most part the courses are still playable under that speed.
Originally posted by simmb View PostThose that have made the move from Skytrak to GC2 would you say it has improved your scoring regardless of boost? I would say on a good day Skytrak costs me anywhere between 2-6 shots per round, on a bad day it can be in double digits.Last edited by wbond; 11-12-2019, 07:03 PM.
Comment
-
If they could make a level of rough that actually penalizes you, there would be a big difference in strategy. The more accurate drivers of the ball could compete with the bombers of the ball.
Comment
-
Yeah I usually just play away from hazards and O.B. many times aiming for the rough but that's how i play outdoors too.
-
really? you think a spin penalty is not possible? i think it incredulous that HB could make a golf game in this day and age where they completely disregard the fact that in the rough you will undoubtedly get some spin penalty, more often than not when i'm playing IRL i'll and i'm in the first cut or semi rough i don't chose an extra club, but i do factor in a spin reduction.
-
-
Originally posted by Fantastish View PostIf they could make a level of rough that actually penalizes you, there would be a big difference in strategy. The more accurate drivers of the ball could compete with the bombers of the ball.
Right. Links courses have no defense at all. The high grass should effect the ball like trees.
Comment
-
High grass sure but generally the links courses ive played give ample room to stay away from it.
The biggest defense ive found is wind on them. When it's blowing it's tough. One hole comes to mind 150yd par 3 I was trying to get to with a 230 yd carry hybrid. Oh boyeee!
Arcadia Bluffs michigan I think it was hole #16
-
-
For what's worth I vote no boost until we can regulate it. I realized everyone on here and that plays TGC are all honest and on the up and up. However, there are the outliers that will cheat to win a 'game'. We have all played with the guys that miraculously always find their ball in the deep rough or the guy that fluffs the ball up for each shot. I imagine there are guys in the sim world that would make their boost greater than 5% or make there spin correction better than allowable
. Until we can regulate and make it a clean slate for everyone, then NO Boost for you!
Comment
-
Ya. Lots of people.Originally posted by Iquinn4 View PostSome people use boost that don’t need it... you know who you are
My Courses:
World Par 3's by mthunt
Toronto GC (L) mthunt
Burlington G&CC by mthunt
Weston G&CC by mthunt
London Hunt Club L mthunt
Park CC Lidar mthunt
Sunningdale GC Robinson L
Sunningdale GC Thompson L
Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
The National GC L mthunt
Mississaugua GC L mthunt
Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
Markland Woods CC mthunt
Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
Magna GC L mthunt
Barrie CC L mthunt
mthunt Range
Comment
-
Here are my thoughts.
1.if you own the Gc2, regarded by most as the most accurate indoor launch monitor out there and you're using boost then you're just taking advantage of a rule made for people without your superior technology when you shouldn't be honestly.
2. I've seen guys with 165-170 and higher ball speed hitting bombs on skytrak so if you're hitting it 150 mph and saying you're getting shorted IDK if that's the case at all.
3. Most people don't even know how far they carry a club on average until they spend lots of time on a launch monitor. They think because they roll a driver out to 250 that that's their yardage when in fact they carry it 230 or something. Almost every single person who I've brought to my sim has complained that their yardage seems way short yet somehow mine is perfect go figure.
4. Putting is a different animal. The skytrak sucks at short putts giving you random 3 degree offline readings. Plus we are all putting off different mats and materials, we are not on the same greens when we play but we do all tee off from a tee above the mat making it equal as can be.
5. If you live in the Andes at 22,000 feet and carry your driver 450 yards, when we play at pebble beach in a tournament, guess what, your 22,000 foot elevation doesn't make it to California with you. I get you wanna match your real life distances but do that on your practice range and take it to the real course with you, it's not really a valid excuse to use boost IMO.
just my opinions. I don't care what they vote on or decide, I don't use boost merely because I want to know the truth about how far my ball goes and take that outdoors with me to help improve my game a bit. Straight putting I don't care about either, I think that's more fair for everyone honestly and I don't use that either and I don't really notice much of a difference but I have GC2 which is fairly accurate but not perfect either when putting.Last edited by Jwheels9876; 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM.
Comment
-
Are you on drugs?!? Haha hope you feel better soon!Originally posted by Jwheels9876 View PostHere are my thoughts.
1.if you own the Gc2, regarded by most as the most accurate indoor launch monitor out there and you're using boost then you're just taking advantage of a rule made for people without your superior technology when you shouldn't be honestly.
2. I've seen guys with 165-170 and higher ball speed hitting bombs on skytrak so if you're hitting it 150 mph and saying you're getting shorted IDK if that's the case at all.
3. Most people don't even know how far they carry a club on average until they spend lots of time on a launch monitor. They think because they roll a driver out to 250 that that's their yardage when in fact they carry it 230 or something. Almost every single person who I've brought to my sim has complained that their yardage seems way short yet somehow mine is perfect go figure.
4. Putting is a different animal. The skytrak sucks at short putts giving you random 3 degree offline readings. Plus we are all putting off different mats and materials, we are not on the same greens when we play but we do all tee off from a tee above the mat making it equal as can be.
6. If you live in the Andes at 22,000 feet and carry your driver 450 yards, when we play at pebble beach in a tournament, guess what, your 22,000 foot elevation doesn't make it to California with you. I get you wanna match your real life distances but do that on your practice range and take it to the real course with you, it's not really a valid excuse to use boost IMO.
just my opinions. I don't care what they vote on or decide, I don't use boost merely because I want to know the truth about how far my ball goes and take that outdoors with me to help improve my game a bit. Straight putting I don't care about either, I think that's more fair for everyone honestly and I don't use that either and I don't really notice much of a difference but I have GC2 which is fairly accurate but not perfect either when putting.
Comment
-
For me, the 5% is huge because I live in Denver and the 5% gets me close to my outdoor distances (it's probably 6% actually).
Comment
-
True but he plays this as practice for his game outdoors. I get it. He isn't playing in Florida. He is playing in his Denver cave and outside his cave in Denver weather permitting.Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 11-14-2019, 10:08 PM.
-
I think for many it's real competitive and many call it cheating even though it is in the rules of this game. Im not speaking for thunder but have experienced this phenomenon quite heavily on discord. Its the so called purist that can't use 5% but doesn't want you too either. The same fella that isn't so pure to not accept 6ft gimmies or turn straight putt patch off.
-
Comment