Protee sensor mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protee sensor mat

Anyone have problems with their fiberbuilt Protee sensor mat falling apart? I've had my system since August and have already burned through two sensor hitting mats. The thin strip of turf behind the tee area has completely disappeared on both sets.

Protee is supposed to be sending me a new one when they get a shipment in, but sounds like Fiberbuilt is jerking them around on deliveries. They originally told me mid November, then mid December, mid January...now mid February. I'm still able to play with it but it makes it a pain to get the ball set correctly and just looks crappy.

Mine fell apart after a few days of use in the same area you described. I have a support ticket for a replacement but was told the same thing about delays from Fiberbuilt. To make the turf usable, I ended up ordering a longer rubber tee holder to replace the short one provided by Protee. It set the ball flush with the surface and made ball placement really easy.

While waiting on a replacement fiberbuilt mat, I decided to try a JagManJoe Turf top from Arsene golf. It comes with a 3/8" acrylic plate to cover the sensor openings which is nice as my sim is setup in the garage and stuff was always falling in. There is no tee holder but I can't swing a driver in my space so I never need to tee it up. I'm pretty happy with the new mat.

I think I still would prefer the fiberbuilt mat if it would last. It feels better for well struck shots, especially ones that would result in a divot on grass. However, I found that fat shots were quite punishing. I think what happens is because there is no turf behind the ball due to the sensor cutouts, if you come in fat, the club face will strike the somewhat vertical face of turf and it is not super comfortable.

Comment

• PROTEE UK
      PROTEE UK commented
      Editing a comment
      We made and tested other types. Its white important where the ball is played from as the tee position is a measured point. Maybe mark it 16.5cm from the ball track otherwise ball speed could be affected and club speed

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      I've always wondered about that PROTEE UK - I know Gene up here (who I bought one of my used ProTee units from), has a post showing him hitting from different spots on the mat, with iron shots it looks like? Is that ok and does that have a similar effect on ball speed/club speed?

I noticed the rubber tee I have will have to be placed below the (tee hole) in from underneath (on a newer ProTee unit - later than 2018), and not sure why - is it supposed to be like that? This is also a used unit... which I've not hit off of yet, but I do have the rubber tee, and I always thought the rubber tee could be pushed down from the top, then a wooden tee, or plastic tee placed into it to get the exact same height as I play IRL?

I think the 'Gene Unit' has the rubber tee permanently mounted in the hole (not sure if it's glued in - or what), but I don't think I would want to do that with the newer unit... That older 'Gene unit' also has the plastic plexiglass cover with it, and 3 or 4 more hitting turfs, which none appear to be as forgiving as the Fiberbuilt. So, my last question... what is the average life we should expect from the Fiberbuilt mat that is 'screwed on' to the ProTee sensor? And, should I consider having an extra one around - or is there quite a delay from when it starts to have fibers coming out and making it unplayable?

• PROTEE UK
      PROTEE UK commented
      Editing a comment
      Brettster, The ball should be hit from the tee position only as it is a meausred point. Hitting from eleswhere would not be as accurate.
      rubber tees are inserted from the underside, usually very tight but due to tee holder size tolerance, some are tighter than others. I tend to add a 1 inch slice of pipe foam(lagging) into the base hole also which stops the tee from ever slipping if it is not a super tight fit. Best tees to use are Flexhead tees, they lock into the tee holder, dont break and cant fall into the mat. if you read the comment about the tee being lower than the turf in this thread it expalins why its not flush. plexi glass covers are not advised over the sensor mat. Mats last dependant on use and strike type. I have one here 5 years old! Generally they are very robust and have been for years now. usually replacements are readily available but like with many things, Covid has slowed some things up.

What tee holder did you order? I was looking for some but couldn't find any that were similar. I got a couple but they were junk and broke almost immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbrandt17 View Post
      What tee holder did you order? I was looking for some but couldn't find any that were similar. I got a couple but they were junk and broke almost immediately.
      I ordered some cheap ones from amazon:

I used the 1.75in one and made a spacer underneath to keep the tee flush with the top of the turf. It held up pretty well over the few weeks I used it.

Comment

• PROTEE UK
        PROTEE UK commented
        Editing a comment
        We did this also with a longer tee holder in test but having the tee holder flush allows grass to be trapped between club and tee holder and pulls turf. The tee sits just below to allow the turf to flex on impact.
        Modifying anything could cause damage and is advised against. There is a reason for how it is set and much testing over the years has been done with various options.
        The tops usually last a good while but unfortunately it seems some from the current batch were defective and have to wait for new ones to be made and sent.

• impliciter
        impliciter commented
        Editing a comment
        PROTEE UK, I only added the longer tee because I couldn't use the mat due the deterioration within a few weeks of use. Without the longer tee, the ball would just fall back into the sensor hole. It was essentially unusable. I look forward to getting a replacement turf top when available.

I wonder if a turf top without the tee holder cutout and fibers removed would be more durable. Then, birtees or something similar could be used.
        Last edited by impliciter; 01-20-2021, 11:58 PM.

I tried to use birtees but it caused misreads so I stopped. I saw some older posts where someone made a grass type plug that would allow real tees to be inserted and they placed that where the tee holder goes. Seemed like a good idea but the person who made them is out of business.

Comment

When I had my protee I ordered some of those tees that had grass on the top and you could stick a tee in them. That solved the problem and worked well. I ordered them from the p3pro sim website. Not sure if that website is around anymore as they went out of business. Here is what it looks like. I have 4 of them sitting around here.

Comment

• Brettster
          Brettster commented
          Editing a comment
          those are awesome jhp016s any chance I could get one?

• TeeDeck
          TeeDeck commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually had that grass plug and it fell apart within a month or so. Know my sim are in a commercial setting, but it was not very durable for what I paid for them.

Jhp016s If you wanted to part with those I'd happily buy them. I haven't been able to find anything like that for sale.

Comment

Yah. PM me your address and will
          send them. You should go on alibaba and send a pic to some golf tee manufacturers and see if they can make them.

Comment

My email is rbrandt17@gmail.com

I think I sent you a PM, but not sure as I've never used that function on here.

Comment

If I could ask when did you guys order your protee systems? I have two of my buddies that are interested in the system, but I do not want to have them purchase a faulty hitting sensor that they will have to deal with all the time. I have two protee systems myself that I have not had the problems with that you guys are talking about, but I purchased back in 2017-18. Thanks for the input....

Comment

I purchased mine in August of last year.

Comment

Just looking for advice here. I just replaced by Pro-tee with a different system and am looking to sell my sensor mat and camera, both about 2 years old. Is there a place on this forum to buy and sell, or is this website just for advice.
                  Thanks in advance,

Comment

Thanks, Brettster!

Comment

I received my fiberbuilt replacement sensor mats from protee ( Netherlands to Ohio 3 days, thank you protee) yesterday. I will be replacing my old with new tonight, any suggestions, tips on how to do this? They say it easy but I can not find instructions. Thank you in advance.

Comment

MikeMyers - I have mine down in the basement ready to install in my shed. What it looks like is that are 20-25 screws (torx head in my 2019 or newer model), around the edges of the underside of the sensor. Looks like those screw off and you would then remove the old and place the new one down and screw it tight. Does your new Fiberbuilt have screw holes around edges?

Also, I have an older sensor (2015-2016 or so), with the same/similar screws around the edge, and then several other different kind of mat/types that were stuck down to that surface directly without using screws, but after the original Fiberbuilt was unscrewed and taken off.

Let us know how the new mats work for you... I may need to replace mine at some point in the future.... Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X