TGC course design questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC course design questions

Sorry this may have been asked already. I still have not pulled the trigger on TGC yet. This might do it for me though.

Questions for The Golf Club (TGC) users. Especially to the ones that might have tried the design option on the sim.

Can you design a course that resembles a local course in your area?

Is it difficult or time consuming?

Do you have to make it public?

I play on the GC Am tour and I like to practice the courses I am going to play. I was thinking what if I put the courses I am going to be playing on my simulator?

Is this possible?

Would it be too much trouble?
    I am also not looking for perfection. Doglegs, bunkers, and general course layout would be just fine.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mdsypher; 12-27-2018, 02:36 AM.

Yes u can design a local course. I just bought tgc about a year ago and designed the local course we play in our league. I have had some league guys play it on my sim and they said it was really good. General course layout, bunker, water, tee locations etc. gives the feel of playing on same. U need to use google earth for measurements etc. watch crazy Canuck instruction videos Google tgc RCR's for hints on how to do it Designer is not easy to use. I have just enough skill to do what I wanted. I probably put 30-40 hours into doing it. Elevations are tough but my course is relatively flat so not a tough one.

I would wait wait for tgc 19 though otherwise u will need to port from tgc 1 to 2 then to 2019. U have to publish it to play on sim though but not an issue just name it some obscure name an call it beta. Nobody will bother playing it if that's what u want

Comment

• Mdsypher
      Mdsypher commented
      Editing a comment
      Fhacker thanks for the response! That was exactly what I was looking for! If I can design the courses I will be playing that wiyhelp a lot. Like I said I am not looking for perfection just a general layout.

A top notch course takes a good designer 100 hours.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

mthunt. I would 100% agree with u for a top notch course. My "replica" would not be considered top notch at all, it was only for playing some practice/fun rounds on. For example green complexes are definitely not the same elevations or breaks of the real course. But the hole distances and placement and size of greens are relatively close to actual and the fairway size etc is fairly close with most of same hazards of the real course. Some greens are close but none are real exact. So for hitting tee shots and approach shots to greens it does approach reality. I was hitting some of the same bad shots I hit in real life from tee and approach and having similar bad results. Was not too worried aboutt green breaks etc as putting on a sim is not too realistic IMO.
      In addition to the hours above, I may have an additional 20-30 hours just watching videos, reading forums on designing etc. and then doing a practice hole or two.

Comment

• Mdsypher
        Mdsypher commented
        Editing a comment
        Fhacker that is how I would be using it. Since I have not purchased TGC yet I am unsure whether to buy it now or wait for the new version. If there was at least a “soft” date when they were going to release it then that would help. Also I may not qualify for free updates since I would be purchasing it so late in the year. That is the way I understand it from ProTee on another thread. I waiting on a response from them. Thanks for your input! Very helpful!

I can do a replica that isn't top notch in 20-30 hours.
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Mdsypher. As to release for date for 2019, we are all waiting for that. The last I read I think here was no later than PGA show at end of January. Hope it's before then. I would think buying this year u would still be ok for the update. Anything other than that would not be good PR for Protee and not in sync with their superb customer service to date.

Comment

• Mdsypher
          Mdsypher commented
          Editing a comment
          @Fhacker.Thanks! I did the chat with Skytrak yesterday. They told me they had not made a decision on price for TGC2019 yet. Even for lifetime memberships. I just wish the powers to be would just say the new version will be out sometime in the first qtr(or whenever, approximately) and lifetime members will not have to pay or will have to pay X amount. To me that doesn’t seem to hard. Thanks again!

• Fhacker
          Fhacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Have u seen the new thread about alpha testing and upgrade from protee posted this morning. If u go the referenced site it's pretty clear Protee will give upgrade for free if u purchase current version now. You are talking about Skytrak above. All I can say about them charging additional for a free upgrade from the software producer would be not a smart move on their part. They already charge $100/yr for any simulator use on their hardware.

Fhacker thanks again! I will look that up. Your input and info have been very helpful!

Comment

I'd be interested in how you get on. I'm considering spending time on my own local course, see how close I can get it with Google earth, drone fly over photage and of course the ability to laser anything I need to.

Is purchasing TGC2019 via steam the best way to aporocha?

Comment

2019 allows you to import TGC2 courses so if you don’t want to lay out the dough, buy TGC2 and create there while you wait for 2019 sim
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt