Club distance????

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ron Patterson Golf
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2016
    • 29

    #1

    Club distance????

    Set up my skytrak but my clubs are so short??

    I hit my 7i on the course 170 pretty consistent but on sim it's not even going 130.
    Driver is 100 yards short also.

    could it be my mat? It's a old cce type mat you can put tees in
  • Ron Patterson Golf
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2016
    • 29

    #2
    Also...

    I didn't take the screen protector wrap things off the unit cause there was a note in the package that said to leave it on.

    could this be the problem?

    Comment

    • jmasella
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2016
      • 6

      #3
      You most definitely have to remove the plastic wrapping off the camera lens. Also make sure its aligned properly and at the same height as your hitting surface.

      Comment

      • erikh5014
        Member
        • Jun 2016
        • 87

        #4
        I didnt remove the thicker plastic cover on the front of mine. I messaged skytrak and they said leave it on. Also dont worry about the distance it will get there. I started out carrying my 6 iron 140 swinging out of my shoes and now im 185-190 carry. Its just swinging indoors even if you dont realize it. Make sure the unit is perfectly level and that the mat is also level so you are getting good VLA readings. Give it a month and then post your numbers.

        I went through the same thing. Now i feel stupid for blaming the skytrak.

        Comment

        • Snax
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2016
          • 8

          #5
          I am realizing how Important setup is. It could be the mat, i am current investigating this aspect as it appears to be my issue. I just compared my skytrak beside a trackman and the numbers were very close. Slight variance on my 3 iron and driver but they were very close. Check the ball speed and rpm, to ensure you are hitting it solid.

          Comment

          • hardboiled
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2016
            • 24

            #6
            I was blaming my skytrak too for short distances until I took the unit outside to the range. Was amazed at how accurate it was. Definitely was an issue with indoor swing vs normal swing

            Comment

            • frackh
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2016
              • 231

              #7
              There is a plastic "sticker" cover that comes shipped with the Skytrak that need to be removed. Then below that is a permanent protective "film" that you should NOT remove. Then underneath that is the actual tinted window that hides the sensors. The sticker has a tab you can grab to remove, the film does not.
              The indoor swing is a weird and real phenomenon that takes a while to go away, some days I get my normal yardage, some days I'm about 20-30 yards short.
              Last edited by frackh; 02-18-2017, 07:18 PM.

              Comment

              • StanMI
                Super Member
                • Sep 2016
                • 775

                #8
                I have one of the mats you can stick a tee in and one you can't. The mat you can stick a tee in I'm lucky if I can hit a 6 iron 130, the other materials I'm about 170 with the same club.

                Comment

                • SomaPLR
                  Member
                  • Mar 2016
                  • 66

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ron Patterson Golf View Post
                  Set up my skytrak but my clubs are so short??

                  I hit my 7i on the course 170 pretty consistent but on sim it's not even going 130.
                  Driver is 100 yards short also.

                  could it be my mat? It's a old cce type mat you can put tees in
                  You need anywhere between 124 -127 (depending on backspin) mph ball speed to carry a 7 iron 170 yards...just an FYI

                  Other than that, as said, it could be a multitude of factors such as hitting inside your house, mat issues, you don't think you hit the ball as far as you think you do etc. Almost always its a combination of the 3. People do need to understand that there is a subconscious effect swinging inside and it's not the SkyTrack. SkyTrack is typically accurate to 3-4 yards +/- to a Trackman. I hit the ball further than the majority of touring pros and it still effects me to this day with driver while I'm inside (while irons were fine after a month or so). Click image for larger version  Name:	GC2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	106871
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	STdriver.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	106873






                  GC2 outside 304 carry 329 total
                  SkyTrack inside 277 carry 300 total

                  9 mph ball speed less
                  Last edited by SomaPLR; 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • ironFrank
                    ironFrank commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If a ball starts with 124 mph, 21deg launch angle (typical for a 7 iron) and 4000 rpm backspin it goes 200 yards carry with no wind. 110mph, 3000 rpm backspin is reaching to 170 yards carry.

                    You can try that here: http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

                  • SomaPLR
                    SomaPLR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    7 irons don't spin 4000rpm, they spin about 7000rpm with that level of ball speed - there's no way possible to get a 7 iron to 4000rpm spin playing a tour ball with swing speed like mine, it defies the laws of physics. Go look at PGA trackman data, the average pro spins their 7 iron about 7100 rpm.
                    Last edited by SomaPLR; 03-03-2017, 08:17 PM.
                • MainStGolf
                  Advanced Member
                  • Feb 2016
                  • 458

                  #10
                  Mats definitely make a difference. The CCE is probably one of the most penal on shots that are even slightly mishit. The other thing that can make a difference if you are using the SkyTrak range is the elevation setting. You can adjust the elevation up or down accordingly to get IRL numbers if you truly feel you are swinging the same. This fixed my issue.

                  Comment


                  • OnInTwo
                    OnInTwo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I changed my elevation to match my distance, because after a week of hitting it, I feel as if my distances are still 20-30 yards short. Easy fix. I am anywhere from 115-124mph on my driver swing, and will occasionally catch one 350 out on the course--it was everything I could do to get it near 300 on the ST. I know it's easy to say we all over-estimate our distance and all, but I don't feel like my ST is accurate. I also have to wait at least 10 seconds on my shot lag.
                • 4rightmike
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2017
                  • 23

                  #11
                  Had mine side by side with Trackman the other day. I only hit irons, but everything was within 5 cards for carry distances to one another.

                  Comment

                  • wbond
                    Ultimate Member
                    • Oct 2014
                    • 3489

                    #12
                    Did you find any correlation on this from short to long irons? Short off 1-2, mid off 2-3 long off 3-5, etc? Curious to see how it compares to the GC2 test that another member did. If i remember right, it looked like the larger variances were at the ends, driver and lob wedge.
                    Originally posted by 4rightmike View Post
                    Had mine side by side with Trackman the other day. I only hit irons, but everything was within 5 cards for carry distances to one another.

                    Comment


                    • SomaPLR
                      SomaPLR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm doing it against Trackman at Miles of Golf when I go thru my iron fitting next week. I should know more then. I don't believe the gent in the video had his lined up real well...it's hard to do with Gc2.
                  • Monovision
                    Member
                    • Jul 2016
                    • 89

                    #13
                    Had the same issue at first. Indoor swing subconscious could be part, but I bet it's the mat. I also have a CCE, and it REALLY punishes ANY amount of fat contact. For me, that's a good thing. Now my distances are exactly what they should be. I'll still have the occasional session where I just can't make good contact, but I've learned to trust the Skytrak.

                    Comment

                    • wbond
                      Ultimate Member
                      • Oct 2014
                      • 3489

                      #14
                      SomaPLR good place to get fit. I had a driver fitting there, can't remember who i went with, might have been Alan. Another good place is a guy out in Fenton, probably the best fitting i've ever had. Probably because he was the builder, so it was way more thorough than Miles, Carls or even Pure Impact Studio when that was open.

                      Comment

                      • ironFrank
                        Member
                        • Nov 2016
                        • 56

                        #15
                        Originally posted by SomaPLR View Post

                        You need anywhere between 124 -127 (depending on backspin) mph ball speed to carry a 7 iron 170 yards...just an FYI

                        Other than that, as said, it could be a multitude of factors such as hitting inside your house, mat issues, you don't think you hit the ball as far as you think you do etc. Almost always its a combination of the 3. People do need to understand that there is a subconscious effect swinging inside and it's not the SkyTrack. SkyTrack is typically accurate to 3-4 yards +/- to a Trackman. I hit the ball further than the majority of touring pros and it still effects me to this day with driver while I'm inside (while irons were fine after a month or so).

                        GC2 outside 304 carry 329 total
                        SkyTrack inside 277 carry 300 total

                        9 mph ball speed less
                        It is not only the ballspeed.

                        My 7 iron (Titleist 716 CB, True Temper Steel Shaft) now has 35* Loft and I hit it 160 yards
                        My 8 Iron before (Callaway CF 16, Recoil 760, Graphit) has had as well 35' loft and I hit it 160 yards as well.

                        You cannot tell it cause there is no rule how much loft/ lie a club must have. From manufacturer to the other they are different.

                        The ballspeed is too less to tell. Backspin is an important issue as well. An 8 iron with 7k backspin will travel ten yards shorter than one with 2k backspin.

                        What you MUST do is to

                        - maintain the settings in session settings. humidity, Temperature, height
                        - level the unit properly
                        - let it be in the right height
                        - use balls with a solid logo pointing to the lens
                        - use a real golf mat and not some green from the farmers shop
                        - use impact tape on your club to see if you really hit it on the sweetspot (inside , that is mostly an issue)

                        and.... get used to it.

                        Comment

                        Working...