Course simulation in ST direct mode with internet access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course simulation in ST direct mode with internet access

Our house is very long and thin, so getting a solid wifi signal is a problem. We have a wifi network in the middle of the house fine, but for the extremities we have tried boosters etc. but all to no avail. Our solution has been to use the internal electric power lines for internet - this works very well and gives stable and solid access. My golf cave is right at the end of the house, and the PC that I use is plugged in directly (via an ethernet cable and an internet power adapter) to a power socket. Speeds are not massive, but I get 13 MBPS download and that seems fine.

QUESTION: can I run TGC, JNPG etc with ST? All the ST documentation that I have seen assumes that "having access to the internet" and "having an available wifi network" are synonymous. It does not address the case where there is good internet, but no wifi connection.

Seemingly I can only connect with ST in direct mode, not network mode, but my PC always has full internet access. One example: most of the ST documentation says that if you are only connected in direct mode then your data will not be synced with skygolf360 - but mine always syncs just fine anyway in direct mode (of course, because my PC has good internet access).

Has anybody encountered this? (Note - one obvious solution would be to use an adaptor to set up a local wifi network in my golf cave to connect in network mode. The trouble with this is that is that this new wifi network causes interference with the main wifi network in other bits of the house.)

"The trouble with this is that is that this new wifi network causes interference with the main wifi network in other bits of the house."

Why do not you set the second wifi AP to another channel to not disturb other wifi connections?

Comment

Hi, have you tried USB mode? Plugging your Skytrak into the PC. I don't have my skytrak set up anymore but I was in a similar situation (no Wi-Fi but a wired connection to PC in outbuilding) and never had trouble connecting to either the skytrak app or Jack Niklaus Perfect Golf. Maybe I'm wrong but worth a try.

Comment

I have my pc on wired internet and my ST connected via USB. Works great for me both with ST application and TGC. I switched from wifi to wired internet because I lost connection a lot when playing TGC with ST and PC on wifi. I had to close TGC and reset ST all the time. Some people have reported less problems when on wifi but for me it’s the other way around.

Comment

Always make sure you Windows Energy profile is set to HIGH PROFILE - Maximum performance. In the advanced settings make sure the computer is not allowed to lower WIFI signals to save power or to suspend USB (active suspend). Saving energy is great to save the planet, but it won't do any good to your SkyTrak connection.

Comment

I use the house wiring for signal and an extra wifi connector for the gaming computer and SkyTrak....the wifi connector plugged into the house wiring Ethernet connector. It works great. Of course my ATT dsl and its modem drop out on occasion...crappy service to me, but the only choice. The house wiring signal actually goes through one sub-box to the main box and back out to another sub-box...but it works, using Netgear 1200.

Comment

Thanks to all for helpful replies. I have found that even a bespoke wifi for my golf cave on a unique channel causes interference on our other wifi network - at least that's what everybody in my house tells me.

A long mirco USB to USB cable is now on its way to me as I type - I wil try this and also make sure that my Windows Energy profile is correct. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by skytrakali
                Thanks to all for helpful replies. I have found that even a bespoke wifi for my golf cave on a unique channel causes interference on our other wifi network - at least that's what everybody in my house tells me.

A long mirco USB to USB cable is now on its way to me as I type - I wil try this and also make sure that my Windows Energy profile is correct. Thanks!
                Let us know how the USB connection works out for you. I all of a sudden lost the ability to connect in Network mode (I suspect a Windows update), and direct mode is a little slower IMHO, so I thought about the USB mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ProTee United View Post
                  Saving energy is great to save the planet, but it won't do any good to your SkyTrak connection.
                  Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X