SkyTrak "Ofline" measure appears to be left-biased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak "Ofline" measure appears to be left-biased

I bought my SkyTrak in January this year and after using it at the driving range a couple of times was finding that when I was hitting shots that were on target that the ST was reporting that they were "offline" by ~10 to 20 yards to the LEFT of target...and shots that went ~10 to 15 yards to the right of target were being reported as on target...so consistently a left bias.

I raised this with SkyTrak and they collected and tested the device, it passed all of their tests and they advised that the device was working correctly. However they tested this indoors and not at a range where you can see the ball land.

Since my SkyTrak was returned I've found the same problem even at a different range with decent Srixon golf balls.

This morning I was getting a lesson off my Pro and he confirmed that despite using alignment sticks to confirm where we were aiming that the readings were still offline.

Has anyone else experienced this issue when using the SkyTrak outside as its one of the key metrix and I don't have confidence with the numbers as a result?

Doesn't that just mean that it is not aligned correctly? Or am I missing something? Also, did you align parallel to unit or using laser dots? Metal case, plastic case or none?

Comment

I use a metal case but did take a few shots out of the case and the "offline" results were consistent. SkyTrak have advised that the metal case should not affect measurements so this should not be an issue?!

I don't use laser dots to align - I've heard of this feature but understand that it is no longer used?

Agree it does sound like an alignment issue and if I move the SkyTrak so that it is not parallel to the ball to target line I can get the "offline" reading to be more accurate to what I'm actually seeing...but surely having the SkyTrak at an angle will fix the "offline" issue but cause other measurements to be skewed as a result?

Interesting to see that 100 people have viewed this but only 1 response which in a good way suggests that I am very much in the minority and that this is an isolated issue...or you're all playing inside and oblivious

Comment

I have only used my SkyTrak inside. For my SkyTrak, the laser alignment are very accurate. My last shot will leave a dimple mark on my impact screen so I can tell exactly where it hit. My SkyTrak does not have the left bias that your unit seems to have.

Comment

If you search alignment problems there will be quite a few posts about it. Particularly with case.

Anyhow, as far as i know, simply rotating ST until visibly verified straight shots are read as online will give accurate numbers. In fact that is how i align indoors.if the shot is straight, and the ST reads it straight, it is aligned for all practical purposes. If you get a chance, try indoors without case, ensure level and do what cintigolfer suggested. You could also try the dots. Some report perfect alignment with dots, but not with edge of unit.

When testing alignment,, no need for full swings. I use 50 yard mini punch shots, and hit the string i hang as target line on most shots.
          Last edited by Morini; 02-18-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I still worry that having the ST at a slight angle to align the centre will skew other numbers but I'll give it a try.

How do you switch on the red dot laser alignment? Is it just a case of switching the settings between left and right handed player pls?

Comment

My laser alignment dots are significantly off and I would caution anyone using them for alignment. Skytrak actually took away the ability to align that way for a while because of its inconsistency.

Comment

Skytrak’s stance is that its best to align to the body....since the lasers can get out of calibration. BUT some of us...including myself find that when we align to the lasers.....even if it offsets the body....shots end up more accurate.

My suggestion is to do some simple testing yourself. If you’re hitting at home....even into a plain net. Align the dots with a mark,bow,tape on the net....and see where the ball hits vs the displayed path...shouldn’t take long to figure out if your unit is more accurate with the lasers vs body. After that....just align with either the body or dots....depending on what your findings are.

Comment

I’ve got the exact same left bias, used it on the range and consistently had shots reading 10-20yds left of actual

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not alone! How long have you had your ST? Do you use the metal protective case? What are you planning on doing to sort out your issue?

What I've taken from the advise above is that we need to align the SkyTrak based upon where you see the ball landing. This means that you don't need to use alignment sticks or the laser dots...but my worry about this approach is you fix one issue and so surely skews results for other measures!

Comment

Originally posted by N54TT View Post

Skytrak’s stance is that its best to align to the body....since the lasers can get out of calibration. BUT some of us...including myself find that when we align to the lasers.....even if it offsets the body....shots end up more accurate.

My suggestion is to do some simple testing yourself. If you’re hitting at home....even into a plain net. Align the dots with a mark,bow,tape on the net....and see where the ball hits vs the displayed path...shouldn’t take long to figure out if your unit is more accurate with the lasers vs body. After that....just align with either the body or dots....depending on what your findings are.

to add on to my original post. I’m not sure that the FMJ(metal case that skytrak now sells), allows you to offset the skytrak in the case. But if you don’t keep your skytrak set up in one spot, are constantly picking it up and using it in different areas....it can be more tricky once you have done the above testing....to quickly align it again. I don’t keep my skytrak permanently placed in my garage and take it to the range sometimes. But thanks GarySlatterwhite and his design of the skytrak Armour case, I did my testing so that the displayed shots are accurate to where I was aiming and hitting the ball...and again My Skytrak ended up being offset in the case. So now no matter where I bring my skytrak I just throw an alignment rod on the holder of the Armour case visually align that (remember skytrak is tested parallel to display of actual shots, BUT offset in case) and shots are spot on to where the ball is hit. This was verified when I hit using trackman and used the new alignment with armour case to parallel of trackmans center alignment....and shots were spot on....both in aim and ball data.

Again...Skytrak’s official stance is to align to body...but my testing and others have shown that not to be the case for everyone. Skytraks alignment is one of its flaws IMO....but a little experimenting with your unit and it is still the best Bang for Buck launch monitor out there.

Not sure he sells it anymore though.
                      https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...skytrak-armour
                      Last edited by N54TT; 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

N54TT thanks for replying. I think what you're saying is that your Skytrak sits in its unofficial armour case but slightly off parallel. As this is always consistently off parallel, when you go to the range you have confidence that all you need to do is align to the metal case as the SkyTrak is already aligned slightly off parallel.

If this is correct then I don't believe that this is an option with the SkyTrak metal case as there are 3 screws that you need to affix the SkyTrak with and their position is permanent.

Also I assume "align to body" means align to SkyTrak case...and not me as a golfer?

Comment

• wbond
                          wbond commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Try just using one of the screws if the unit needs to be skewed from the face of the metal case. Or use a dremel and open up the screw holes on the bottom of the case.

Originally posted by N54TT View Post

to add on to my original post. I’m not sure that the FMJ(metal case that skytrak now sells), allows you to offset the skytrak in the case. But if you don’t keep your skytrak set up in one spot, are constantly picking it up and using it in different areas....it can be more tricky once you have done the above testing....to quickly align it again. I don’t keep my skytrak permanently placed in my garage and take it to the range sometimes. But thanks GarySlatterwhite and his design of the skytrak Armour case, I did my testing so that the displayed shots are accurate to where I was aiming and hitting the ball...and again My Skytrak ended up being offset in the case. So now no matter where I bring my skytrak I just throw an alignment rod on the holder of the Armour case visually align that (remember skytrak is tested parallel to display of actual shots, BUT offset in case) and shots are spot on to where the ball is hit. This was verified when I hit using trackman and used the new alignment with armour case to parallel of trackmans center alignment....and shots were spot on....both in aim and ball data.

Again...Skytrak’s official stance is to align to body...but my testing and others have shown that not to be the case for everyone. Skytraks alignment is one of its flaws IMO....but a little experimenting with your unit and it is still the best Bang for Buck launch monitor out there.

Not sure he sells it anymore though.
                        https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...skytrak-armour
                        I don't know if this just my case or what but I if the Skytrak is all the way to the left in side the metal case I will get no reads 9 out of 10 times. That makes sense, but If I center it the case so that the three LED lights are inside the cutouts (specifically designed for the lights!) I get misreads here and there and it seems like the shots go offline more than usual. I found the best place, again in my situation, is to put the unit as far to the right side of the metal case as possible while maintaining the flush alignment inside the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyTrakSpiderman View Post
                          N54TT thanks for replying. I think what you're saying is that your Skytrak sits in its unofficial armour case but slightly off parallel. As this is always consistently off parallel, when you go to the range you have confidence that all you need to do is align to the metal case as the SkyTrak is already aligned slightly off parallel.

If this is correct then I don't believe that this is an option with the SkyTrak metal case as there are 3 screws that you need to affix the SkyTrak with and their position is permanent.

Also I assume "align to body" means align to SkyTrak case...and not me as a golfer?
                          Yes..exactly. Even out of the armour case I found that for the displayed flight to be accurate to where actual ball was hit....it was always more accurate aligning the laser dots than the body of the skytrak...which cased the body of the skytrak to be off parallel. The metal Skytrak Armour case lets me mount the skytrak unit itself, off parallel in the metal case.

Not sure what you’re referring to in “align to body.” All I do now is place an alignment rod on the groove of the Metal Skytrak Armour Case and align that parallel with my target line.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	795151BE-C955-4D3B-A5AA-10F5B44BE199.jpeg
Views:	1662
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	145726
                            Originally posted by BogesMalone View Post

I don't know if this just my case or what but I if the Skytrak is all the way to the left in side the metal case I will get no reads 9 out of 10 times. That makes sense, but If I center it the case so that the three LED lights are inside the cutouts (specifically designed for the lights!) I get misreads here and there and it seems like the shots go offline more than usual. I found the best place, again in my situation, is to put the unit as far to the right side of the metal case as possible while maintaining the flush alignment inside the case.
                            What case are you referring to? Armour, FMJ, officially skytrak metal?

the Armour lets you mount the body of the skytrak flush with the top half of the metal case....and then both as a unit can be mounted off parallel with the Base of the Armour. That way there is no way for the case to impact the cameras FOV
                            Last edited by N54TT; 02-20-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X