Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak total shot counter

HI everyone

Just to let everyone know that FITNESS golf shows the total number of shots your skytrak has made to date when you connect to the software.

This is really handy info to know, especially when it comes to buying or selling your unit used.

It can be used as an odometer to determine the resale value.

If i ever sell my unit to get Skytrak 2 i'll include this figure with my selling price, and i suggest that anyone buying a used skytrak should request this info too.

A unit with 5k registered shots is worth more than a unit with 25K shots registered if both are selling for $1300.

I discovered my NEW skytrak already had 5000 shots registered before i received it, it works like magic, but I was a little pissed off when i discovered this at first.

regards
    HappyG

I can't understand for the life of me why that would matter for the resale value. Its not a car or something else where components get worn out or "used and abused". The Laser doesn't get worn out. The cameras are not getting "slower with use" . The only thing that can determine its resale value is how much better or worst a new version will be. Yours works like magic after 5000 shots and it will work like magic after 50,000 as well. When you buy a used laptop you don't ask how many hours its ran for. Or buying a used digital camera you don't ask how many pictures were taken. Its sort of irrelevant.

Comment

• andygg1986
      andygg1986 commented
      Editing a comment
      There have been more than a few people whose laser curtains have failed. Unless it is still under warranty (I have not heard of it going that quickly), it sounds like a several hundred dollar repair. On a $1300 item, that's almost 25% of the total price. I wouldn't say that there is a magic number where it is going to break, but there has to be a curve of number of shots vs likelihood of failing, and I would bet that the curve goes up as the number of shots increases.

Also, all electronics fail at some point. Foresight's HMT has LED arrays. Most people assumed since it wasn't a flash bulb, they would never need to be replaced. Yet at least a couple of guys on here have been hit with a $500 bill for that. I have had to pay a couple hundred bucks for a bluetooth module replacement on my GC2 as well, which you would think would never wear out. It's one thing if you are talking a $10 repair bill, but no repairs in the golf simulator market are cheap.

• Bobsjohns
      Bobsjohns commented
      Editing a comment
      Our laser curtain failed after less than 2k shots. Skytrak did warranty repair the curtain free of charge.

Another thing to consider is the battery life. The more charge cycles on the battery, the less time it's going to hold a charge. So the shot counter is at least somewhat relevant.

Originally posted by Kenny Zawodny View Post
    I can't understand for the life of me why that would matter for the resale value. Its not a car or something else where components get worn out or "used and abused". The Laser doesn't get worn out. The cameras are not getting "slower with use" . The only thing that can determine its resale value is how much better or worst a new version will be. Yours works like magic after 5000 shots and it will work like magic after 50,000 as well. When you buy a used laptop you don't ask how many hours its ran for. Or buying a used digital camera you don't ask how many pictures were taken. Its sort of irrelevant.
    This is entirely untrue. When you buy used high end digital cameras you absolutely do care about the number of photos taken. It is very relevant for the value of the camera and the life expectancy of all of the parts. Also for computers especially SSDs there is a limited about of read/writes that it can complete in a lifecycle so it technically would be relevant. Also for gaming computers we care about the overclocking of CPUs and GPUs as it shortens the life expectancy and this would not be relevant just by looking at the computer or basing value off the fact that it turns on. Thanks OP as this was something that I had been looking into as i completely agree that shot count is important or else why would a warranty metric from the manufacturer be 50,000 shots. Are you saying you bought your Skytrak new from Skytrak and it came with 5,000 shots registered?

Comment

• Kenny Zawodny
      Kenny Zawodny commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive never heard of anyone wanting to know how many pictures a camera has taken. Ive sold and bought quite a few. I just sold an $1800 Sony to a camera store a year ago and they never asked me that. Overclocking a cpu is apples and oranges to a sky trak monitor use. I would laugh at you if you asked me how many balls i've hit using the skytrak. That's Absurd. Would you also ask me how long my watch has been turned on too? Or how many DVD's ive watched on my blu ray player for sell lol? You can't even find out how many hits have been used unless you're one of the 200 people on earth using the fitness program.... So you ask me and i say "uummm i don't know"..... lol whats next you buy me the fitness program so we can find out? That theory makes absolutely no since what so ever. Why doesnt someone just email Skytrak and ask them at what point/how many hits does the Skytrak start "fading in quality"......Its an electronic. It is going to fail at somepoint for some reason. it wont be because you jut hit your 12000th shot.

• HappyGilmore102
      HappyGilmore102 commented
      Editing a comment
      HI Bkirkley09

I bought my skytrak new from an online retailer in the uk, it registered as new and Skytrak gave me a new unit warranty, but when i tried the fitness golf demo it said my unit already had 5K registered shots when i had only hit about 1K it said 6K had already been hit.

My skytrak came in skytrak packaging, but it wasn't factory sealed when i received it, so it could have been a demo unit, i really don't know.

regards
      Happy G

How can we tell the number of shots are Skytrak has taken if we don’t have Fitness Golf?

Comment

• HappyGilmore102
      Editing a comment
      HI

Just download the free fitness golf demo and when you connect to skytrak all your units information will be displayed on screen including total shots hit to date.

re
      HappyG

Kevin_C from what ive googled you can't. Theres no reason to unless you are just curious OR using it for fitness. This notion someone would use that number to claim the resale value lol.... stop it! But since we are here what is the magic number the OP is setting his Kelly Blue Book at haha? How does he know there is much difference between 5000 and 25000 hits with this? What if Skytrak came out and guaranteed 1 million hits?! And it took 5 years to hit 25000 balls?

andygg1986 I agree with everything you said. i never said the electronic wouldnt quit but it wont be because of swings. There is no magic number or zone as far as Skytrak has ever said where your product will start failing. Its not a car where you know at 175,000 miles you can start expecting a lot to go wrong and the value is worth nearly nothing. This guy is making it sound like he knows anything about the difference of 5000 shots and 20,000, enough to think he can charge or buy one differently because of it. Like i said to the other guy. Would you ask me how many dvd's i watched on my dvd player for sale? How many hours on my PC monitor? How long my cell phone for sale has been turned on or how many pictures ive taken with it?

Comment

HI Everyone

Geezzzz, people need to chill.

You don't have to buy Fitness Golf, you can download the DEMO for FREE, it will show you all your skytrak info in the connecting screen, including TOTAL SHOTS HIT.

Maybe it matters or maybe it doesn't, but I'd feel more comfortable paying 1K for skytrak with 20k shots than 1K for a skytrak that has 50k hits.
      In fact I'd pass on a unit with 50k + hits and rather just buy a new unit, unless it was certified refurb by skytrak with a warranty.

I'm not an engineer or anything but I do think skytrak uses some sort of led flash or something and my long life led bulbs fail regularly at home despite being long life.

Skytrak repairs are not that expensive from what i've seen. There is a repair cost breakdown somewhere on this forum, so people could still buy a well used unit and get it repaired when if fails at a reasonable cost.

I will included my total shot count number with the asking price if I ever sell my skytrak.

Hopefully this will never happen with skytrak 2 being an add-on (fingers crossed).

People should just do what suits themselves, if you don't mind buying a unit with 50k + shots, GREAT, good for you, do what you want.

Happy Skytrakking
      Happy G

Comment

HappyGilmore102. I just dont understand where the numbers you are using are coming from with no baseline for value. 5000 shots is less than 14 hits a day for a year. For some thats 2 or 3 holes a day. If you never download the Demo or saw the fitness then the shot count would never be an issue to someone. I have to believe its because shot counts have absolutely nothing to do with skytrak longevity or consistancy.

I can guarentee a red l.e.d. flash is not comparable to a 40 watt led bulb. Led's are generally meaured in hours of use. If an led has life expectancy of 300,000 hours and skytrack is using it for a second or split second per hit you can see why it would be laughable to think theres a difference in "wear and tear".

Theres just no basis for the subject because 20000 to you might be nothing to me but your trying to change market value on it with no statistical bearing. Just sort of a made up theory about whats considered "too used". Ofcoarse its your money you can spend how you want but it would be annoying if
        people were asking me how many shots ive taken when it doesnt matter at all and i have no clue. And then offering less because of some made up number they have for what they want to spend based on irrelevant shot numbers.

There is no warranty on "hits" because there is no number that warrants one. If my skytrak had 50000 hits whats its value? $900? 80000 hits $400? Though right next to each other all perform the same? Just makes no since to me. There would have to be a history of a number associated with product failure for you wheel and deal with me on a purchase. Other than that its just another electronic being sold.

Comment

• bkirkley09
          bkirkley09 commented
          Editing a comment
          Directly from the Skytrak website...so why list 25,000 shots as a warranty metric if the parts do not wear out?

What does the warranty for SkyTrak cover?
          The Basic SkyTrak Warranty is for 6 months or 25,000 shots, whichever comes first. An Extended Warranty that covers an additional 6 months and 25,000 shots can be purchased for $99 within thirty days of the original purchase date of the SkyTrak unit.

Camera usage:

The shutter, however, is like the engine of a car and eventually it will reach the end of its lifecycle and fail to actuate properly. At this point the camera is rendered non-operational and you’ll either be paying for an expensive repair (easily $400-500) or if you’re a very brave do-it-yourselfer you can typically find replacement shutters on eBay for around $100 (but you’ll be responsible for taking apart your sophisticated and tiny-part-packed camera and conducting the repair yourself).

In light of how catastrophic and expensive a shutter failure is it’s worth both checking the shutter count both on cameras you own (to get a rough estimate of how much life is left in the camera) and on used cameras you’re considering purchasing (after all a premium camera at rock bottom prices isn’t such a deal if it’s 20,000 shutter cycles past the average failure point).

bkirkley09 "past the average failure point". But that's my point. WHAT is the average failure point of a skytrak? We know on other DSLR's based on reviews and experience. And how does skytrak expect us to know 25000 hits is before 6 months lol? we have to download the DEMO?! Still makes absolutely no since to me. The life cycle of a shutter has to be massive with Skytrak. They are assuming you MIGHT hit 25,000 balls in 6 month or 960 balls a week. How many people you know taking 25,000 pictures with a camera in 6 months. Yet thats only 182 hit balls a day for 6 months.

I dont believe a skytrak and DSLR can be compared. Like a car and motorcycle can't. Its just hard for me to compare to a DSLR because they are used differently. They aren't used for long exposures, putting strain on the camera. They arent banged around. There just isn't a basis to waste someones time buying or selling a skytrak on a fictional number and then trying to bring someone down on price because you think you know something (not you personally just people in general). Because like im saying and you pointed out, there isn't an "average failure point". SkyTRAK_Seth anwsered this same question 2 years ago on here

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-shot-lifespan
        Last edited by Kenny Zawodny; 01-07-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• HappyGilmore102
          Editing a comment
          HI Kenny

I'm not trying to force people to drop the price on anything. Your asking price is your asking price.

Personally I wouldn't buy a used Skytrak with more than 50K shots unless it was skytrak certified refurb.
          That's just me, if that's stupid, well fair enough, i'd rather just buy a new unit.

If i was selling, i'd included total hits with my asking price.
          It may mean nothing, but i might sell my unit faster.

You guys are way too smart for me, so I'll call it a day.

Regards
          HappyG

Someone who owns a golf simulator business using skylarks should chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore102 View Post
          HI everyone

Just to let everyone know that FITNESS golf shows the total number of shots your skytrak has made to date when you connect to the software.

This is really handy info to know, especially when it comes to buying or selling your unit used.

It can be used as an odometer to determine the resale value.

If i ever sell my unit to get Skytrak 2 i'll include this figure with my selling price, and i suggest that anyone buying a used skytrak should request this info too.

A unit with 5k registered shots is worth more than a unit with 25K shots registered if both are selling for $1300.

I discovered my NEW skytrak already had 5000 shots registered before i received it, it works like magic, but I was a little pissed off when i discovered this at first.

regards
          HappyG
          I really doubt that the Fitness Golf software is displaying the total shots recorded by a users SkyTrak unit. The reason I say this is that I just opened my Fitness Golf program and it says I have taken 783269 shots in the 2.5 years I have owned my Skytrak (my back hurts but it doesn't hurt that much). I also just hit an additional 20 shots and this number didn't change. I suspect Volia software who integrated the Fitness Golf software with the SkyTrak hardware (as well as many other SkyTrak software partners) mistakenly listed this number as "shots taken". I have an email in to Seth to check a SkyTrak unit from his end that is connected to a computer with Fitness Golf installed, to see if he has any idea what this number actually represents. If not, I will contact Volia to see if they know.

Comment

fitness golfer yes i would be very interested as well. Where the OP says

"A unit with 5k registered shots is worth more than a unit with 25K shots registered if both are selling for $1300."

Is what is throwing me completly off. I wish someone from Skytrak or anyone with inside knowledge could confirm that. Its hard to believe the shots are relevant because again. We dont even really have access to official "shot counts". Atleast not easily.

Comment

Seems simple enough...Skytrak warranty limits by time and shot count. So Skytrak thinks it matters.

And the more it matters the less I'd expect the counter to be easily available. For the same reason Foresight started hiding their shot counter on the GC2.

Comment

FaultyClubs Just because they have a shot count warranty doesn't mean it has anything to do with wear and tear. Just means you have until 25k shots to return it if something fails. Warrantys for anything are for faulty "fluke" break downs or manufacturing issues. The debate isn't whether or not there is a chance for a component to fail. Its are things inside the unit wearing down. Making 50k shot unit less valuable than a 20k shot unit.

A component can fail after 8k shots or 250k shots. The warranty will of coarse cover the 8k shot unit. But it clearly didn't fail from too much use just a faulty piece. MY question is when the unit with 250k shots fails is it because of wear or because of a failed component. Seems that it uses lasers and a lens to capture the pictures so we should be talking high 100's of thousands if not millions of hits. But for some reason 50k seems to be the standard at which people are considering "not buying used". Sucks for anyone trying to sell a used unit that's had it longer than 12 months. 50k hits is peanuts.

Comment

Can't you see your total number of shots on the SkyGolf360 website as one of the 'leaderboards' is total number of shots, of which the 1st place is IndoorGolfClub in Berlin with 198,583 shots!!!!

Mine says 2,242

Andy

Comment

AndyF From what i can tell that is only when you use just the skytrak range. It has nothing to do with when you are in TGC playing rounds or any other simulator. People hit balls on TGC ranges as well. So those numbers are not accurate as to what the Skytrak has done in total. Under my leader board it won't show any scores. And there isn't an all time. Just today, this week, and this month. And i don't trust that site anyways. 12/17/2018 it shows i hit 60 balls in a 161 hour and 45 minute session. Almost 7 days lol. Then a couple 1 minute sessions and 45 second sessions. We cannot take that website serious

See attached pictures.

Comment

Working...
                    X