skytrak tilt and roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skytrak tilt and roll

hey all, I've read most of the posts on here and even when through gungho's set up suggestions
    here's my problem..
    if I set my tilt and roll to 0 and I put a level on it, its out about 1/4 inch @ a foot = it shows it being 6 degrees out if I level it with a level
    any thoughts?
    my main problem is, its way to easy for me to draw the ball and in real life I can only wish I could

I don't even know what tilt and roll are. I did a lot of reading also in the beginning. I try the short chip shots and as long as they appear straight to the screen and they fly straight on the sim I consider it good. I used to move my unit forward and backwards depending on if I was hitting driver. While doing this I would just eyeball it. It never seemed to give me any grief. I can draw, hit straight or fade. Seems amazingly accurate to me.
    The only time I feel like something is off is after 6 beers and I am driving the ball as hard as I can trying to draw it. Seems really hard. I've even stood with a very closed stance and aimed at the right, but the club path is straight, or slightly left. My swing with a driver is not super fast (ball speed max around 160).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas MacEwan View Post
      I don't even know what tilt and roll are. I did a lot of reading also in the beginning. I try the short chip shots and as long as they appear straight to the screen and they fly straight on the sim I consider it good. I used to move my unit forward and backwards depending on if I was hitting driver. While doing this I would just eyeball it. It never seemed to give me any grief. I can draw, hit straight or fade. Seems amazingly accurate to me.
      The only time I feel like something is off is after 6 beers and I am driving the ball as hard as I can trying to draw it. Seems really hard. I've even stood with a very closed stance and aimed at the right, but the club path is straight, or slightly left. My swing with a driver is not super fast (ball speed max around 160).
      Tilt is the amount that the unit is tilted forward (toward you) or back (away from you). Roll is the amount that the unit is tilted toward the screen or away from the screen (right or left when facing the unit as opposed to front and back for tilt).

On the Skytrak home screen click on the little level in the bottom right corner of the screen and that will open up your tilt and roll measurement. Adjust the screws as needed until tilt and roll are both showing 0 degrees.

Tilt and roll have nothing to do with the alignment. It only deals with how level the unit is. Your Skytrack can still be pointed way left or way right of your target line and show 0 degrees of tilt or roll because tilt and roll are completely separate from alignment. I think this is where Phoenix is getting confused but his post was a little hard to understand.

Comment

• kirkemg
        kirkemg commented
        Editing a comment
        Any suggestions on how to adjust it when using metal case but not the screws? Hitting surface is already level with ST so i cant use the screws.

• 3on3putt
        3on3putt commented
        Editing a comment
        kirkemg -- If tilt or roll is not 0, then one side of the Skytrak is not level with the hitting surface. Therefore, the screws should be used to even it out. Does that make sense? If you aren't using the screws but your unit is uneven, then either your hitting mat is uneven or the surface that the Skytrak is sitting on is uneven.
        Last edited by 3on3putt; 03-09-2021, 10:24 PM.

To the best of my knowledge:
      • Tilt/roll is unrelated to alignment.
      • There are no false draws/fades on Skytrak due to setup errors. If it draws, it is real. This is the case because spin axis is derived mostly from the ball rotation in the y axis from one sensor relative to the other. As such the amount of tilt has no bearing, and roll only minor.
      • Skytrak corrects for tilt/roll errors up to 5 degrees. In this case, the question is whether the IMU is accurate or not. 6 degrees is huge, and is a above the ability to correct. If the IMU is inaccurate, VLA will be inaccurate.
      Last edited by Morini; 01-27-2021, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Morini, that is my concern as well
        the alignment is good, I followed gunghos's set up and the skytrak ended up sitting 1or2 degrees open from perfectly parallel but shows short chips and puts going straight when I hit them straight
        I am indeed getting more left spin than I feel like I should and wondering if there is something wrong with my unit. I honestly see no difference if I keep it 6 degrees out on the tilt or have the unit perfectly level. however, if I put the unit to read 0s in tilt and roll then the laser is about 12.5 inches away from the unit because its tipped back to far.

Comment

Mine is the exact same way, I've had my skytrak since 2016 and it's been that way since I bought it. Additionally, to align it, my case sits way to the left. Finally, I can't charge my skytrak and use it at the same time, apparently due to static electricity. I gave up asking official skytrak for help/guidance. Seems like the quality controls for assembly are questionable.

Originally posted by Phoenix920 View Post
          hey all, I've read most of the posts on here and even when through gungho's set up suggestions
          here's my problem..
          if I set my tilt and roll to 0 and I put a level on it, its out about 1/4 inch @ a foot = it shows it being 6 degrees out if I level it with a level
          any thoughts?
          my main problem is, its way to easy for me to draw the ball and in real life I can only wish I could

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix920 View Post
            Morini, that is my concern as well
            the alignment is good, I followed gunghos's set up and the skytrak ended up sitting 1or2 degrees open from perfectly parallel but shows short chips and puts going straight when I hit them straight
            I am indeed getting more left spin than I feel like I should and wondering if there is something wrong with my unit. I honestly see no difference if I keep it 6 degrees out on the tilt or have the unit perfectly level. however, if I put the unit to read 0s in tilt and roll then the laser is about 12.5 inches away from the unit because its tipped back to far.
            My unit also sits slightly open in order to read straight and I've heard that this is the case with others as well. So the fact that you need it to sit slightly open to read straight is not unheard of. I always make sure tilt and roll are set to 0 and then I just hit a few chips over the putting cup I have near my screen and will open or close the angle of the Skytrak as needed until they read straight. I don't bother to align it every time I use it but I do it every 3-4 times I play probably. It's usually very close and only needs a very small adjustment.

Hitting off a mat can have a tendency to promote a draw. I have a very slight draw in real life and a much bigger draw in my simulator. Again, not at all unusual and you will hear a lot of people claim that Skytrak has a draw bias. I don't know if it really has a draw bias or if it's just the result of hitting off a mat. Not sure if users of other launch monitors experience the same thing or not. What kind of mat do you have? Some mats tend to be very "grabby" and can shut the face down at impact more than grass does.

Comment

• Phoenix920
              Phoenix920 commented
              Editing a comment
              even happens to me off a tee, and in real life.. I cant draw the ball this a pen and paper
          Working...
          X