SkyTrak offline read accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak offline read accuracy

Hi All. This is specific to the amount of curvature my Sly Trak gives off. I saw a review by AliTaylor Golf and he had a Trackman vs a Skytrak side by side.

One of the shots, the TM was dead straight - while the ST registered the flight where the shot was 33 yards offline (draw/hook).

My main purpose for using the ST at home is to get ball flight/ball shape figured out - but this kind of deviation is just crazy.

Is there a specific setting for Skytrak to calibrate this? Click image for larger version

Name:	1617706746984912.JPG
Views:	673
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	328585
    Last edited by sc524; 04-06-2021, 12:12 PM.

Do you have a link to the video? It's hard to say without knowing some more info.

Comment

TRACKMAN Vs SKYTRAK : GOLF LAUNCH MONITOR CHALLENGEIn this launch monitor challenge Ali puts Trackman against SkyTrak. In his coaching and videos Ali uses th...

Here it is.

Comment

He had the Skytrak way too high. Shots at the edge of field of view will have crazy side angle and spin axis (if they read at all). So few of the reviewers know how to set skytrak up properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Morini View Post
          He had the Skytrak way too high. Shots at the edge of field of view will have crazy side angle and spin axis (if they read at all). So few of the reviewers know how to set skytrak up properly.
          OK - i will try to remove the legs of the protective case. I tried mounting it on the floor but the mat was about 1.5in thick so I used the legs to bring it to level - I might have adjusted it too high. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Some things I noticed...

1. From the way he was talking about Skytrak measuring club head speed, I'm not totally convinced he understands how Skytrak arrives at its club head speed numbers. That alone makes me question the entire video.

2. When he started hitting driver, he moved the Skytrak back and said he was "moving it back because the ball is now on a tee." There is no reason to be moving the Skytrak when going from an iron to a driver. All you need to do is move the ball position back slightly. And there's very little chance that it was aligned correctly after he just hastily moved it like that. Again, evidence that he does not know how to properly use a Skytrak.

3. He has the Skytrak set to side spin instead of spin axis. That's fine, but it should be noted that it's now separating the backspin and side spin which accounts for the lower spin numbers on Skytrak as he goes into the longer clubs and starts getting more shape on the shots. He should set the spin to axis for more easily comparable spin numbers.

4. He doesn't appear to be pointing the logo of the ball at the Skytrak, which is recommended for best results. I was not able to see the red dot on the video for some reason so I'm not sure where he was placing it but at the very least he didn't seem to be using the logo.

5. Skytrak appeared to be set up too high.

6. Skytrak does not take spin decay into account, which explains some of the increased curvature.

7. Radar units like Trackman are not ideal for indoor spin. While Trackman is pretty much the gold standard for launch monitors, indoor spin is the one area I would hesitate to trust.

8. Of course Trackman is better than Skytrak. It's 8 times the price.

As Morini said, in so many of these Skytrak vs. other launch monitor videos the host is not using the Skytrak correctly. Just read the comment section of the video to see how many people pointed out these same things.
            Last edited by 3on3putt; 04-07-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Good points. The reason I was curious was because most of my shots with the ST (after using it for about 3days) was all draw biased. I play off a 5 now and I have fairly decent amount of control over my ball flight. 9/10 my ball will fade/slice. That 1 time it doesn't, it will most likely be a straight pull to the left.

My ST results were giving me 75% of the shots going way left with the shot shape giving me as much as 43 yards of draw (or hook actually). I can't hit a draw to save my life - and now I'm hitting them 75% of the time? I really doubt that.

Then I came across a discussion here about 'INDOOR SWING SYNDROME' so maybe this is all it is.

I'll have to give ST a bit of a go before deciding to give up on this completely.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Comment

I am seeing bigger draws then I would expect and more frequently. I'm a pretty straight hitter with an ugly slice that I have worked on, now I try for a more in to out path on purpose because I can't stand the site of another slice. I also notice that I can hit straight shots if I just aim a little right of center. I can't aim right of center and bring the "draw" to the middle. I can also hit pure straight shots up the middle so I am baffled by my SkyTrak. I've only had it a few weeks though. My buddy is a fade machine. He hits fades. My turn and wammi "draw/ hook". I aim off the right side on everything in TGC. If I am in it good though I can hit perfect shots so I think it's the Indian here. (I'm an11). Despite the numbers though when I actually play the SIM I am in the same spots as I find myself in real life 😂.

Comment

• sc524
                  sc524 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven't had a chance to play the sim myself as I am still in the build process (hitting off a net now).

The bigger draws might be because of the lack of spin decay as some members have pointed out. Apparently, ST doesn't take spin decay into consideration so it just keeps drawing/slicing if you put a certain spin to the ball - at least when I hit a 50 draw - I can say it was just lack of spin decay! HAHAHAHA.

In any case, I would suggest looking into "indoor swing syndrome" as well if you are (like myself) a new indoor golfer. It seems to make sense and it might give you some needed inputs as well.

Happy golfing!

• sc524
                  sc524 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is your fade machine friend a new indoor golfer like yourself? Or he has experience with this type of 'golf'?

Originally posted by sc524 View Post
                Good points. The reason I was curious was because most of my shots with the ST (after using it for about 3days) was all draw biased. I play off a 5 now and I have fairly decent amount of control over my ball flight. 9/10 my ball will fade/slice. That 1 time it doesn't, it will most likely be a straight pull to the left.

My ST results were giving me 75% of the shots going way left with the shot shape giving me as much as 43 yards of draw (or hook actually). I can't hit a draw to save my life - and now I'm hitting them 75% of the time? I really doubt that.

Then I came across a discussion here about 'INDOOR SWING SYNDROME' so maybe this is all it is.

I'll have to give ST a bit of a go before deciding to give up on this completely.

Thanks for all the inputs.
                Indoor swing syndrome tends to flatten swings, which can promote a hook.

Certain mats can grab the leading edge and shut the face down and cause hooks.

And as has been noted, skytrak does not have spin decay. However, the tgc ball flight algorithm does have spin decay, so any hooks in tgc are not due to a lack of spin decay.

Are the draws and hooks consistent with shots hit off a tee as well as off the mat? Try hitting irons off a short tee to see if the results are different. If so, you might have a grabby mat.

Comment

Buddy has zero indoor swing experience.

One reason why I think it's me. Last night I set a SkyTrak range target at 155 and it was the smallest. Went 0-50. Was about to quit golf. If the hole was at the left yardage marker I would have had 30-50. Took a second and paid a little more attention to my grip. Held my club like a hammer in my left hand(lead). My mind was blown. 5-20 hits, the others are much much better, it was easier, 8 - 10 yards higher ball flight, better miss pattern. More backspin from 4500-6500. No hooking. No kidding the numbers don't lie.

Mats can be hooky. Then I was holding the club shut thinking it would get caught in the mat. Had to pick it clean or get beat up. I usually only hit 10-30 balls at the range for a quick warm up before a round and always hated mats mostly. Using a Fiberbuilt flightdeck for the past week. It's not the mat now. Still battling little pains from a we bit of overuse too so that doesn't help.

I'm trying to pace myself a bit better. Also, can say the Fiberbuilt is nice on the body and that's most important.
                  Last edited by Needsmoreeagles; 04-08-2021, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X