Looking to build a SkyTrak simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build a SkyTrak simulator

Looking to build an in home SkyTrak simulator setup. Unfortunately my initial plan of utilizing the finished basement for setting up an overall entertainment area has been shot because the 9’ ceilings are only 8’7”….

With that being said I have a few questions about the build.

1) Would you all recommend purchasing a predesigned setup from an online retailer or piecing together a swing bay myself?

2) Which simulation software would you go with? I was leaning towards the one time purchase of TGC 2019, is that my best bet?

3) How much should I anticipate spending on a computer that is sufficient to play TGC 2019?

Thank you for any tips or recommendations on a good sized financial investment.

1 - I think piece together as it’s much better value.

2 - Picking one I would go with TGC2019 given the sheer course volume. That said, I also have Creative Golf 3D and really enjoy it. Each have their strengths. CG plays more realistically around/on the greens IMO, though the rough is very punitive at times.

3 - I think you’ll be able to find a solid model under $1,000. I’m not sure how much the chip shortage is impacting this right now but generally the deals have been there.

Hope that helps!

Comment

1. Hundreds of folks have used our DIY enclosure instructions successfully: https://gunghogolf.com/articles/diy-...reen-enclosure
      2. TGC 2019 and E6 Connect would be my first two picks. We compare and contrast their features at https://gunghogolf.com/articles/tgc2019-vs-e6connect
      3. A Windows gaming PC with a GTX 1660 or 1660 Super graphics card is perfect for HD resolution - best deal on Amazon right now is this Dell 1660 Super for $899: https://amzn.to/3lPSFmx
      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

Originally posted by GungHoGolf View Post
        1. Hundreds of folks have used our DIY enclosure instructions successfully: https://gunghogolf.com/articles/diy-...reen-enclosure
        2. TGC 2019 and E6 Connect would be my first two picks. We compare and contrast their features at https://gunghogolf.com/articles/tgc2019-vs-e6connect
        3. A Windows gaming PC with a GTX 1660 or 1660 Super graphics card is perfect for HD resolution - best deal on Amazon right now is this Dell 1660 Super for $899: https://amzn.to/3lPSFmx

thank you for the extremely detailed feedback, I appreciate it. Now that the basement ceilings are lower than intended I might be going with a retractable screen setup. If I jump on TGC would you go ahead and pay the $895 for lifetime access?

Comment

• bubbtubbs
          bubbtubbs commented
          Editing a comment
          That's entirely up to you, but when a few years of renting is the same as owning, it seems like a pretty obvious choice.

Originally posted by GungHoGolf View Post
        Walmart has a HP with a Ryzen 5 and a 1660 super for $599 if you can find one in the store. It's listed quite a bit higher if you buy it online.

Comment

TGC 2019 is the one to get. Imo, it's much better than E6. Sheer number of courses alone makes it a no brainer. And it's also future proof due to it having a very capable course designer.

Comment

1. Piece together from various online sources, this way you can get the look you want for your space. I had room for a large mat, but wanted a basic size screen. Save your $$ for the best projector you can afford. Take time and lay out your space efficiently, as that's usually your limiting factor. I like the combination of a decent projector AND a large curved monitor to the PC, right next to where I swing.

2. TGC 2019 one time purchase. This is a no brainer IMO.

3. Don't go cheap on the PC. I Buy Power has decent packages with graphic cards that are plenty powerful. Most of the PCs they sell are plenty over powered for TGC 2019 so it runs seemlessly.

Good luck!

Comment

Will this laptop get the job done for me? Looks like it checks the important boxes, but I don’t really know what I am looking for. 1660ti and intel core i7?

Comment

• aussiebenny
                aussiebenny commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, that is more than enough for TGC 2019 at full max settings.
                Basically, i5 or higher and 1660 or higher is all you need.

Building your simulator bay is the way to go and you just improve it over time. I used archery netting and it shows very little wear.
              I love TGC2019 and ProTee are a great company with very good support.
              You might think of building your own computer. It is not difficult and allows you to easily maintain it. You can easily add more than one screen and have more than one video card if you want. Laptops are good but hard to maintain. They are not that reliable for a variety of reasons. Your are paying for things you do not really need, like the small screen that is not much use. You also get a lot of bloatware from whatever make the laptop is.
              I have added a projector but I often just use an old 52" TV I have also connected up.
              I have a small free standing, carpet covered board that protects walls from shanks!

Comment

• Brettster
                Brettster commented
                Editing a comment
                lazyjack - I would like to see those 'small free standing, carpet covered boards' you use to protect walls from shanks. What size are they, and do you have any pics? I've been looking at netting extending about 5 feet out on sides, or black curtains on side-walls to protect from those errant shots. I am also considering that for above my net, as my gambrel barn roof is that odd/triangular shape from about 7'6" to 10' and I will need to protect that - I was out testing in the yard with a 10'x7'high net and skied a driver over it into the neighbors yard... It made me realize how important it is to have the right protection before even swinging in my new sim...

Also, can you tell me where you purchased your archery netting? I've heard that's a good way to go, but most prices I find are almost as much as buying a decent impact screen... What size is your archery impact netting?

jpinkardvt - yes, you are on the right track... you're better off piecing it together on your own, and Ron's GungHoGolf - How To Build Your Own DIY Enclosure is a great start! I would add a few things... first, if you're planning on leaving your swing bay setup, and it will also be for entertainment, you may want to consider mounting eyebolts directly to the 2x4 studs in the walls, if they are in a spot that is helpful for you... I will be doing that in my Simulator Shed setup, but the walls are not finished, which will allow me to place 2x4's in exact places along the left/right walls so I can get as close as possible to the wall (allowing me more hitting length in my setup). I can send you pics, but likely I will be documenting the whole thing up here as I finish this long project for me.

That's another story you describe about having a lower ceiling. I've considered my setup in my family's previous home 1.) in basement (too small, knee wall present), 2.) 2nd floor addition (too expensive), which finally caused me to start looking for a new home for my family, which we moved to a few years back, and partially because it offered 3.) a 16'x12' Gambrel Roof barn/shed with a 10' ceiling, that will be perfect (though a little small in length/width, but still doable). So, consider all of your options, there may be a spot that will fit you perfect, or you may be able to make it workable, such as digging in your basement, or raising the roof in your garage.

lazyjack - Great to hear from you, as I will be finishing up my ProTee setup in my shed, and I also own TGC2019, so looking forward to playing all the courses. You're right ProTee is top-notch support and one of the best when it comes to Sim Support... @jpinkardvt- follow lazyjack and his recommendations with computers. You will want a decent gaming computer 'desktop' with a high-powered graphics card (likely NVidia 2060, or something similar). I purchased a Lenovo Legion Computer with a 2060 card about 1 year ago for $700.

Then, get setup with TGC2019, as it offers more courses (a fairly easy to use 'designer' mode where you can design your own courses) and many online events.

Good luck moving forward, use these forums for excellent recommendations and tips on designing your own Simulator...

Comment

Working...
              X