What ball type do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ball type do you use

After using Skytrak for 2 or 3 weeks now, overall I'm happy with the unit, but my numbers are still 15 to 20 yards short of what I see on the course. I think some of that may have to do with hitting off a mat, which allows me to strike down on the ball more than I would on the course, thus creating more spin loft. I actually did work on this during a few sessions and was able to reduce my spin numbers, which increased my 7 iron carry with Skytrack from 132 carry to 152 and on the course from 145 to 165.

Using a 7 iron, I have the following spin numbers

ProV1 - 7500 rpm
    Rockflite or similar - 6200 rpm
    MG Tour C4 - 7500 rpm
    Taylormade Penta TP3 - 10500 rpm

Do you guys think that the Penta really spins that much more, or do you think Skytrak has problems picking up spin with that ball? I still think Skytrak's algorithm penalizes too much for spin, but probably not a big deal if I use all the same balls.

So my question is, what balls do you currently use and are you happy with the results?

I used the Pro v1 for years as everyone does, but recently moved to Bridgestone 330RX/S to suit my slower 95mph swing speed.
    I want to use ST to help me identify the best ball for my game, I've asked for ball tagging as a feature request so that I can make the decision based on 100s of balls over several days rather than a point in time how I'm swinging that day decision.

Your results demonstrate there can be stark differences. I haven't done enough testing yet to provide any numbers yet but plan to.

Comment

• rbarthle17
      rbarthle17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Until they do that, you can still get what you want easily enough. Just be regimented about it, like hitting only 10 balls at a time with each ball and use the same rotation of balls. It's not as easy as clicking a button but it can be done.

Wow, I use Pro V1x (as I have for years), and am currently averaging about 5,000 revs with my 7 iron.

I've always presented a pretty neutral loft to the ball, without a particularly high (negative) AoA, and shallow divots, but those spin numbers look high, I think PGA Tour average is about 7,000, if memory serves me right.

Comment

From tonight's range session (range balls) my 6 iron averaged 6108rpm, my AoA is no doubt too steep & my launch is too high avg 16 degrees.

Comment

what kind of ball speed you getting with 7 iron. Also launch angle. If launching a little low then higher spin would help stop the ball. Around 7000 is good average for 7 iron but really depends on speed and launch angle.

Comment

Anyone getting high launch angles but normal distance. For instance I was hitting my 8 iron with 25 degrees launch angle with 155 carry. Seems like that launch angle is pretty high. Spin around 6000. I'm a 6 handicap and have a high ball flight it not a scooper. Spin usually in the 7000s

Comment

Originally posted by keithpbz View Post
            what kind of ball speed you getting with 7 iron. Also launch angle. If launching a little low then higher spin would help stop the ball. Around 7000 is good average for 7 iron but really depends on speed and launch angle.
            I didn't hit any 7 irons but it will be in the same ballpark. I get the right amount spin I just hit way too high. My 6 iron == a pro's 8 iron. ST is great at demonstrating this to me. My driver was too low even though I thought it was too high before I got ST opposite for my irons. ST has already fixed my driver see average stats in image (incredible yardage gain with range balls). Irons are a bit harder for me to fix.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well done, really impressive improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHogan View Post

I didn't hit any 7 irons but it will be in the same ballpark. I get the right amount spin I just hit way too high. My 6 iron == a pro's 8 iron. ST is great at demonstrating this to me. My driver was too low even though I thought it was too high before I got ST opposite for my irons. ST has already fixed my driver see average stats in image (incredible yardage gain with range balls). Irons are a bit harder for me to fix.
                I believe a pros 8 iron would reach the same max height as their 6 iron.

Comment

My original post was aimed at what balls people were using with SkyTrak and if they are happy with the results. I noted for reference a few different balls types and spins. I don't trust the numbers for the TP3 balls. Maybe it's something to do with the color or paint. There is a whole range of balls one can use, from brand new prov1's to old yellow range balls, with marks and without. Heck, at Golfsmith, their GC2's seem to give decent numbers with old worn smooth balls.

Comment

I only use pro v1x's. Have experimented with others and this ball fits me best. Have tried pro v1's, nxt tours, Bridgestone 330's, and even the cheap E6's that came with the skytrak. I mark them all the same, black line thru the putting lines. And always face line at 12 o'clock position when addressing the ball. Line faces just behind skytrak. If your setup is same for every shot then that will help eliminate any factors. I use only indoors with a real feel mat. I very rarely have weird results.

Comment

Working...
                    X