Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan's SkyTrak (from Xswing Golf) vs. U.S. SkyTrak (from SkyGolf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan's SkyTrak (from Xswing Golf) vs. U.S. SkyTrak (from SkyGolf)

Was requested by other members of this forum to post this. Wanna see if anyone else (besides my friends) who have purchased and used the SkyTrak unit from Japan's Xswing Golf can share with the rest of us their experience with Asia's version of SkyTrak and the software developed by Japan's Xswing Golf?

SkyTrak Japan developed by Xswing Golf is so much more advanced it's crazy:
    - iPad app that works with newly designed range background
    - already has fully functioning PC simulator with course play
    - provides various device protectors and leveling stands
    - with full local support in Korea, China and Hong Kong already
    - and all at roughly same price but in Japanese Yen and in their local currencies in the above-mentioned countries

I called them and they said they are much more advanced because they launched the SkyTrak product earlier than their U.S. counterpart SkyGolf (and am told only difference between the two are the firmware in the unit itself and of course the software). I have recommended Xswing Golf's Japan SkyTrak to friends in Asia who have bought - they love it, zero software issues and full local customer support.

I don't know if there is contractual agreement between Xswing Golf, SkyGolf and the actual developer of the SkyTrak unit (Rapsodo Pte Ltd - which is a Singapore company) that Xswing Golf is not allowed to market their product in U.S. or Europe? If there are no restrictions, I don't see SkyGolf being able to compete against Xswing Golf but I could be wrong (and hope I am wrong since I own the U.S. SkyGolf version of SkyTrak).

Below is link to SkyTrak Japan (though in Japanese if you just open using Google Chrome and hit translate on top you will get site translated into English) and Xswing Golf's website:

http://xswinggolf.com/skytrak.html (has English)

It almost seems like this company in Singapore invented and distrubutes the LM unit and companies like XSwing and SkyGolf buys it and tweaks the basic app. I don't know, it's just a guess. It all boils down to firmware and software. No changes will be made to the hardware. This means anyone can make it an XSwing or Skytrak unit with the right firmware/software. I've been with Vector for a long time and I know that these guys know how to create a good launch monitor. I have faith in these guys but damn, it's taking a really long ass time. As an early adopter, this 2k unit sits in my garage hardly used, that's the main problem. They had said that an android app would be released soon which I should've taken with a grain of salt. In the end, I remain hopeful with lessons learned.

Comment

doublebogey, Rapsodo is the hardware team. We here at SportTrak worked very closely with them to develop the hardware, image processing, etc. We then worked with Expand the Room to design and create the software. We partnered with SkyGolf to be our sales and marketing channel, which includes customer support, to form SkyTrak. Can't really comment on the Japanese folks, other than what you posted. Obviously as you can see, it's a very complex web of partners, hence why it has taken time to iron out some kinks. I can say though that despite a frustrating start, things are actually improving in a big way. The SkyGolf team is becoming more and more familiar with our product and launch monitor technology in general, we are bringing on several sim partners, and we have since changed software development teams and are on the verge of some really cool stuff. I know what you're going to say, "you're still waiting"...and I understand. But I hope you can see the complexity of this machine and I ask you to please hang in there just a little longer. We are still learning some new ropes through feedback from our current customers, many of which are you guys, and I plan on delivering on my word.

Comment

Thanks for this info Seth. Was just curious about who does what in this complex web of SkyTrak partner/developers.

Comment

"and we have since changed software development teams and are on the verge of some really cool stuff."

Sounds great!
          I hope that includes some advanced features for a driving range type app that has functions like the TM combine or something else that make practice more fun and productive.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyTrak_Seth View Post
            Yeah guys, the two are NOT interchangeable. We will have 4 sim options available here in the state by the end of summer (think next month!). New app update coming very soon too. Some of the other stuff you mentioned I just can't comment on now, but I can say this summer will be a turnaround point point for us.
            Reviving this thread to see if there is any updated information. I am currently living in Japan but bought my ST unit in the US and am now enjoying it with TGC 2019 software. I have a friend here in Japan who is also interested in buying a ST unit and wants to be able to use with TGC 2019 since I am currently designing several of our local Japanese country club courses.

In this post a few years ago you say that the two units were not compatible, is that still the case? Is there no way to load the US firmware onto the Japanese hardware? Here in Japan they offer two versions of the hardware, a mobile version and a PC version. Both are wildly over-priced compared with what you can get in the US. He wants to be able to play sim on TGC 2019 but wants to pair with his own laptop and doesn't need the computer, their software or 27 inch monitor that they package with it for an extra $2000. It seems that mobile version is also compatible with PC but I am wondering whether or not it would be possible to load TGC 2019 with it or not.

Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
            Japan
            Tochigigaoka Golf Club
            Konosu Country Club (L)
            Olympic Country Club R&H
            Olympic Country Club F&R
            Olympic Country Club H&F
            Olympic National East (L)
            Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
            Shonan Seaside CC

US
            Torrey Pines North Course - L
            Torrey Pines South Course - L
            Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
            Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
            Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
            The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
            Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
            RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
            River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
            Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

Hi!
              newly joined the forum, just started playing golf :P

I wish I had read this thread before... I live in Japan and just yesterday I received my Skytrak from Amazon Japan, except I didn't know that it would not be compatible with the official SkyTrak apps and various golf simulators...
              And since I opened it and tried it with my ipad, and activated the SkyTrak Asia2 app, Amazon will not even refund me 100%, they said they would refund 50% if I send it back ...
              So now I'm stuck with the japanese version, with a software that seems stuck years behind the american version ...

The only good news is that the japanese support today told me they plan to release the support for E6 Connect on ipad this April. So at least I'll have access to one simulator without having to buy their super overpriced Desktop PC...

For now I'm only going to use Skytrak at the range, as I don't have enough space at home, but I'm looking for a bigger apartment/house where I could set it up in a room, at that point I'll get the E6 Connect as well..

Comment

Originally posted by alexpedini View Post
                Hi!
                newly joined the forum, just started playing golf :P

I wish I had read this thread before... I live in Japan and just yesterday I received my Skytrak from Amazon Japan, except I didn't know that it would not be compatible with the official SkyTrak apps and various golf simulators...
                And since I opened it and tried it with my ipad, and activated the SkyTrak Asia2 app, Amazon will not even refund me 100%, they said they would refund 50% if I send it back ...
                So now I'm stuck with the japanese version, with a software that seems stuck years behind the american version ...

The only good news is that the japanese support today told me they plan to release the support for E6 Connect on ipad this April. So at least I'll have access to one simulator without having to buy their super overpriced Desktop PC...

For now I'm only going to use Skytrak at the range, as I don't have enough space at home, but I'm looking for a bigger apartment/house where I could set it up in a room, at that point I'll get the E6 Connect as well..

Welcome to the forum. That's a really a shame that you didn't see this thread earlier. I almost made the same mistake that you did. You might try selling it on Yahoo auction or Mericari and then trying to get your hands on a US version of SkyTrak. I am sure that you could get close to 100% of your money back if you sold it as New. E6 Connect on iPad is not great quality for sim (compared with TGC2019). That being said, if you are only going to be using it at the range, it is probably not a bad option since it would be a little hassle to set things up at the range. I was playing WGT on the ipad for a while and it was fine for what it was. TGC2019 is a game-changer though and I have been trying to build quite a number of Japanese courses on it. One caution I would make about SkyTrak at the driving range is that you will probably see a significant loss of distance using range balls.
                Japan
                Tochigigaoka Golf Club
                Konosu Country Club (L)
                Olympic Country Club R&H
                Olympic Country Club F&R
                Olympic Country Club H&F
                Olympic National East (L)
                Taiheiyo GC - Gotemba
                Shonan Seaside CC

US
                Torrey Pines North Course - L
                Torrey Pines South Course - L
                Scarsdale Golf Club (L) - NY
                Montauk Downs - LiDAR - NY
                Golf Club Fossil Creek L - TX
                The Tribute (LiDAR) - TX
                Boca Raton Resort & C (L) - FL
                RB GC & Resort v2 (L) - TX
                River Creek Park Golf Club (L) - TX

Others:
                Bali National Golf Club 3

Comment

Originally posted by sirish19 View Post

Welcome to the forum. That's a really a shame that you didn't see this thread earlier. I almost made the same mistake that you did. You might try selling it on Yahoo auction or Mericari and then trying to get your hands on a US version of SkyTrak. I am sure that you could get close to 100% of your money back if you sold it as New. E6 Connect on iPad is not great quality for sim (compared with TGC2019). That being said, if you are only going to be using it at the range, it is probably not a bad option since it would be a little hassle to set things up at the range. I was playing WGT on the ipad for a while and it was fine for what it was. TGC2019 is a game-changer though and I have been trying to build quite a number of Japanese courses on it. One caution I would make about SkyTrak at the driving range is that you will probably see a significant loss of distance using range balls.
                  Thanks for the reply! Yes maybe Yahoo Auction or Mercari is a good option... and in the future I might try to get a european/us version if I can, but at this point I'll wait until I have a house with enough space to put the simulator at home. I'll use the JP version at the range for now and resell it later at used value (still more than what amazon would give me now)...

Yeah I used it yesterday at the range for the first time and I noticed the issue with the distance with range balls :P the distance is actually close to what another portable launch monitor gives me (a Yupiteru GST 7), to which I usually add 15-20 yd to get a "course distance"... What I'm most interested about now is the shot shaping, I have a lot of issues with slicing the woods (:P), and at the range I was not able to see the whole flight to understand how big of a slice I was doing... and then the course punished me :P
                  I've seen on some online video reviews that maybe the shaping on Skytrak could be a bit exagerated, but that's good I think, so if I can learn to keep the dispersion controlled on skytrak it will be even better on the course I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X