Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

Tips to minimize shot delay?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tips to minimize shot delay?

    I just picked up a skytrak. My shot delay on the app in Windows 10 is about 3 secs. With TGC it's about 5-6 secs. I'm using direct connect with a usb wifi adaptor and my pc connected to the internet via ethernet. My computer specs are:

    AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 Ghz
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 970

    Any thoughts on best bang for the buck way to reduce the shot delay?

  • #2
    My shot delay with TGC is about 5 seconds I think. I just got use to it. Or you can spend 4 times the cost of the skytrak and get it in real time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks penrose. I tried the ES16 out which was supposed to have no delay, but returned it b/c it wasn't quite ready for prime time. I then considered getting a GC2, but the value for skytrak is so compelling that I had to give it a go. I read that Seth said the practical limit for the shot delay was 2 seconds which I could definitely live with. I was wondering if beefing up the processor in my computer, a solid state drive and/or upgrading the video card to the new 1070 GTX would get me closer to said limit. I also read that someone had success with directly connecting to usb 3. I figure that I could do all of these things and still have money left over vs. GC2. Any thoughts? Maybe I should PM Seth directly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by iskuo View Post
        Thanks penrose. I tried the ES16 out which was supposed to have no delay, but returned it b/c it wasn't quite ready for prime time. I then considered getting a GC2, but the value for skytrak is so compelling that I had to give it a go. I read that Seth said the practical limit for the shot delay was 2 seconds which I could definitely live with. I was wondering if beefing up the processor in my computer, a solid state drive and/or upgrading the video card to the new 1070 GTX would get me closer to said limit. I also read that someone had success with directly connecting to usb 3. I figure that I could do all of these things and still have money left over vs. GC2. Any thoughts? Maybe I should PM Seth directly.
        Are you happy with your skytrack so far? I ask as I was in the same boat as you with the ES16 and returned mine on Monday and ordered the GC2. I almost went the skytrak route but was able to somehow justify (to myself) spending the extra money. I will just be happy to use my sim room without any issues that I build about a month ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey Jeff. It's unfortunate with the ES16. Very promising hardware and really good people.

          So far so good with the skytrak. Maybe there will be a GC2 in my future, but for now the skytrak seems close enough for my skill level. The good news is that I have a little extra money in my pocket to try to grind down the shot delay time as much as possible.

          Comment


          • Rcrosley51
            Rcrosley51 commented
            Editing a comment
            You may want to consider a computer upgrade to a I9 with a pumped up video card at least an RTX 2080. Using the i9 setup, with 64gb ram and a pumped up video card my delay is no more than 2 sec in TGC 2019. In the Skytrak software the delay is about only 1 second. That is with all advanced graphics settings maxed out.

        • #6
          Originally posted by iskuo View Post
          Hey Jeff. It's unfortunate with the ES16. Very promising hardware and really good people.

          So far so good with the skytrak. Maybe there will be a GC2 in my future, but for now the skytrak seems close enough for my skill level. The good news is that I have a little extra money in my pocket to try to grind down the shot delay time as much as possible.
          Agreed on the ES16 and their staff! I hope the software side gets worked out.

          Glad to hear it with the skytrak and will look forward to hearing how much you can reduce the shot delay!

          Comment


          • #7
            Best I can get is right at 3 seconds with the Skytrak app or jnpg. That's with a 4790k, 16gb ram, an ssd, and a gtx970. I'm plugged into a usb 3, but I have no idea how the other guy got anywhere close to 1 seconds or less. (Maybe he didn't actally time it). For reference, gc2 is about 1.3 seconds.

            Comment


            • #8
              Thanks TorchRedBob. That's exactly the feedback that I was looking for. I'm willing to upgrade my computer if it'll speed things up, but it sounds like you already have 3 of the 4 things that I could possibly upgrade and it's pretty much the same. Your cpu is a 9.2 out of 10 vs mine at 5.1 according to cpu boss.

              The only thing that could possibly improve then is the additional time for TGC (5-6 secs) vs. just the app (3 secs). Anyone with a beefy PC use TGC?

              Comment


              • #9
                Gc2 always seem to have really slow ball flights to me. They may be instant when you hit but the flight time takes awhile. I've only used them at stores though. But I've timed from contact to the ball actually landing and even with the skytraks 3 second delay they had very similar overall times because skytrak seemed much faster actual flight time.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by keithpbz View Post
                  Gc2 always seem to have really slow ball flights to me...
                  The GC2 doesn't show any ball flight!

                  Besides, TGC renders the ball flight for both Skytrak and GC2 so would be the same for both.

                  Unless you meant either (or both) the Skytrak range or the Foresight FSX software doesn't render in realtime? It's standard for simulation software to work in real time coordinates so either scenario would be pretty weird. But I wouldn't put it past Skytrak or Foresight. It certainly would be an interesting finding if true.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    One thing I liked about WGT was it would display calculating shot - it would be nice if TGC did this or displayed something in the corner of screen so we know it was processing.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Have any skytrak owners tried both TGC and JNPG? Is JNPG pretty consistently 3 secs vs TGC at 5 secs?

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I have both and can time it but I don't think there is much of a difference I'd say both are 3 seconds if that

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by FaultyClubs View Post

                          The GC2 doesn't show any ball flight!

                          Besides, TGC renders the ball flight for both Skytrak and GC2 so would be the same for both.

                          Unless you meant either (or both) the Skytrak range or the Foresight FSX software doesn't render in realtime? It's standard for simulation software to work in real time coordinates so either scenario would be pretty weird. But I wouldn't put it past Skytrak or Foresight. It certainly would be an interesting finding if true.
                          I have never used simulation before. I was talking only about the range software for both.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            What is the determining factor for how long the delay is after you hit the ball until you see the shot on the screen with GC2 and TGC? Is it a function of the TGC program itself or the speed of your computer?? I know it takes longer with a flop shot and is a lot quicker with a driver...............I get a solid 50-50fps

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X