SkyTrak Short Game Correction - TGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak Short Game Correction - TGC

This has been discussed before, but with many new members, I think it could be talked about some more. I have been extremely frustrated with spin numbers around the greens when playing TGC. Outside of 30 yards the ball seems to spin a lot. Inside 30 yards you get the 1200/1300 spin numbers and the ball rolls out terribly far. If you're short sided (guilty), you have little chance of getting it near the hole with 1200 spin. I was this close to selling most of kids toys to be able to buy a GC2. That would have been a huge blow to my conscience until the GC2 arrived.

Then I was reminded (can't remember who) of the "short game correction" setting. When turned ON, you'll rarely/never get missed reads with short chips (5 - 8 yards), however you can expect those dismal spin numbers out to 25/29 yards and in my opinion makes the game feel awful. After switching "short game correction" to OFF, I can get more realistic spin numbers around the greens and it's sooo much more enjoyable.

You'll have to go ahead and hit the short chips to get them to read and that will be an adjustment if you've been playing with the setting ON. The ball will check though, which is nice. I've had no problem with 6 yard chips once adjusting my approach to the shot. I took a screen shot of a 15 yard chip that I hit while playing yesterday and want to share. Look at that spin!!!

completely forgot about this after i rebuilt my pc. been struggling. turned it off and much happier. i get zero no-reads on short chips. was losing 3-4 strokes a round easily.

Comment

I did the same thing thinman. Can't even remember why I turned it on. I'd be leading "the tour" had I not turned it on. Lol! I kid I kid...

Comment

What does tgc default to for these settings?

Comment

• Lgnir
          Lgnir commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it defaults to on, as I haven't messed with it until today when I set it to off. Not one chip was missed during my round.

Good question dborden0. Can't say. My guess would be the ON position. There's an important patch that has also been brought up this week as well. I'd say run the patch and see what you come up with. The patch allows more green config adjusment.

We have created a quick TGC Patch for those who want to play around with the Green Configuration. This patch will update the server component to version 3.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by GarySatterwhite View Post
          Good question dborden0. Can't say. My guess would be the ON position. There's an important patch that has also been brought up this week as well. I'd say run the patch and see what you come up with. The patch allows more green config adjusment.

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...guration-patch
          Thanks! Going to update now and play with this. Hopefully this makes putting more realistic!

Comment

• Lgnir
            Lgnir commented
            Editing a comment
            I failed to mention that I did not have one putt not read after turning it off. I even had a 7 foot putt that I figured I was either going to have a non read due to hitting it so softly, or (once again) blast it by the hole hitting it hard enough for the SkyTrak to read. I was shocked when I "tapped" it, and (because of bad aim), left it 4 inches away. I an extremely happy with how this is working now!

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Really shocked that you have non reads on putting. I never get them. Are you on USB or wifi?

• Lgnir
            Lgnir commented
            Editing a comment
            It was when I was hooked up USB, I'm in network (wi fi) mode now.

I'm telling you guys, the short game correction to OFF is a game changer for me. I put up another good number in the tourney earlier and I literally got up and down from everywhere. Incredible the difference it has made. Had two 8 yards chips. Just a good aggressive 60 degree flew to 6 yards and checked up just below the hole (no missed reads). Had one 3 yard shot from the frog hair and putted it in. Anyone putted from the rough? I need to try that because unless I have 4/5 yarder from the deep rough I don't see myself having any issues with any shots around the greens.

Still plan on doing some more testing, but loving the results rights now.

Comment

• Lgnir
            Lgnir commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't putted from the "rough", but I have been on the fringe and the system had me chipping, so I just hit the "P", went into putting mode, and made a few nice lag putts. I've really been enjoying the game more now.

I turned off short game corrective, and my pitches are still running like crazy, and short pitches are now not reading. Any other recommendations on the other settings? I set green stimp to 5. Maybe I'm just used to slow greens here in Oregon...

Comment

• inorkuo
            inorkuo commented
            Editing a comment
            what ball are you using?

dborden0 - did you run that patch as well? My settings are 6 stimp, 1 firm, and 3 speed. Other things to consider are ball (biggie) and mat. Also, be sure and check the spin reading.

Comment

• dborden0
            dborden0 commented
            Editing a comment
            You nailed it. I have been using some Calloway superhot balls I bought at Costco, and they are very low spin. I'm only getting about 3000 backspin with these, and I wad getting much higher backspin numbers before this. I will have to do another test with different balls.

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes!!! Do that test. I have played golf for 20 years and the most eye opening thing for me with SkyTrak is back spin with different types of balls. I get 10,000 spin on my normal prov1/snell soft golf balls with a full 56 degree wedge. It's a 100 yard shot for me. Grab a hard top flight ball or similar and I can't break 4,000 spin on a full shot! Wow!

Hard balls won't grab the club and run up the face causing higher launch and VERY low spin. One of the things that can't be denied on Skytrak is ball testing.

I'm still really frustrated with the short chipping situation on TGC and SkyTrak.

I applied the green correction patch to TGC, and turned OFF short chip correction. That's great for greenside chips around 10-20 yards from the pin, and I can stop them within a few yards of landing using urethane balls and my 60 deg wedge. But when chipping from 9-10 yards or closer, it's nearly impossible to get SkyTrak to read the shot, so what usually happens is I try 4-5 times with no luck, then switch to Putter and either hit with my putter or with the wedge (and get zero spin and crazy roll).

Does anyone have hints on how to get ST to pick up these very short chips, say 2-6 yards of carry, when short chip correction config is OFF?

SkyTrak_Seth, is a "short chip mode" in the works that will help us out here? It's a glaring weakness in an otherwise beautiful product marriage with TGC.
          - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Technique. Deloft your highest lofted wedge, and hit through it aggressively. Get it to read first, then slowly work it back. Don't be afraid to hit it too hard. If you've been bumping and running with the no spin setting it will be an adjustment for sure. This has worked well with my experience.

Highly frustrating which is why i wish ProTee United could implement a switch to turn off and on the short game mode within the game. When it's less than 9 or 10, I need it on so i don't hit it multiple times to register and when it's above that, have it off since it will read the spin correctly.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't argue with that. 10 yard cutoff would get us A LOT closer to ideal. A toggle would solve all issues.

I realize that I'm trying to work around the problem and that doesn't necessarily help everyone.

We have both modes already, make both an option. Shouldn't be that hard...

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. With the hardware limitations we are at a disadvantage, and this could help alleviate some of it. I would actually like to have them reduce to 10yds as well. It would be better then. I leave it on only to avoid the frustration of having to hit multiple shots. I miss a lot of greens shortside so I have to chip alot from that short distance. Then when i get than 16-20yd shot it sucks trying to guess the rollout with very minimal spin.

Sorry man, but I would like to know if it's possibile to not use the correction and when u are inside 10 yds put it on putter mode and try with your wedge. What's happen?

Comment

• GungHoGolf
            GungHoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you can turn off the correction in the TGC config file, but you have to restart TGC - so it's not something you can easily toggle on and off in the middle of a game. And yes, you can put the shot in Putting mode anytime by selecting the putter, and then use your wedge to hit it, but you'll get 0 spin, so it will roll forever (something like 2-3X the carry distance, depending on your green speed settings, in my experience with my 60).

Im in the camp of leaving the correction ON, and learning to chip accordingly. I find it too annoying with chips under 10 yds. To each his own! I did however, turn off the putting correction. I find that has helped with the right bias some..
          Last edited by BadEddieKit; 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• GungHoGolf
            GungHoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards leaving the short chip correction ON - it sucks to only get around 2K rpm on every chip under 20 yards, but at least it's predictable (about same rollout as carry) and I'm not hitting 8 no-reads in a row. BUT, what will suck is being 15 yards off the green with only 4 yards to work with - with the correction OFF, and in real-life, that's a doable shot (15-16 yards carry, 5K spin, 3-4 yards rollout). In TGC with correction ON, that might be an impossible shot.

• BadEddieKit
            BadEddieKit commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed.. That scenario you are talking about is more rare, while chips under 10 yards are a little more frequent. There is no right answer, only preference. Hopefully they will come out with a fix for this, but I think the skytrak is amazing, even as it stands now!
        Working...
        X