DIY Floor Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Floor Controller

I got tired of walking over to my keyboard and also explaining to new players which buttons do what, so I built a DIY floor controller to control TGC 2019. It was a lot easier than I thought. The whole thing cost ~$70 and I built it in a couple hours.

Below are links to what I bought to build it:To drill out the holes I used a step bit (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPRDBM5/).

To keep the box from sliding around, especially when pushing on the joystick with my clubs, I used grippers at the bottom (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C373VBW/).

To program the buttons I used https://joytokey.net/en/. It's a free program which is great. Most of the buttons are just single buttons to program. The Mulligan option was the exception, which I programmed to be ESC, Down, Down, Enter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorcontroller.jpg
Views:	4436
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	351061
    Attached Files
    TGC 2019 Published Courses:
    • Sanctuary Lake MI (L)
    • Pine Trace MI (L)
    • Deyer National Golf Club
    • Deyer Island Golf Resort
    • Sylvan Glen MI (L)

This is awesome, thanks for posting!

Comment

That's fantastic! I was wondering about doing something like this vs adding a touch screen. Haven't decided which way is better yet.

Comment

I actually did something myself last night as well (not quite as fancy), but it can’t get it to work on optishot2..keys work and register otherwise through other program (word)..using joytokey..any ideas ?

Comment

found solution : Run joytokey in admin mode

Comment

Originally posted by rdeyer View Post
            I got tired of walking over to my keyboard and also explaining to new players which buttons do what, so I built a DIY floor controller to control TGC 2019. It was a lot easier than I thought. The whole thing cost ~$70 and I built it in a couple hours.

Below are links to what I bought to build it:To drill out the holes I used a step bit (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPRDBM5/).

To keep the box from sliding around, especially when pushing on the joystick with my clubs, I used grippers at the bottom (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C373VBW/).

To program the buttons I used https://joytokey.net/en/. It's a free program which is great. Most of the buttons are just single buttons to program. The Mulligan option was the exception, which I programmed to be ESC, Down, Down, Enter.

Name:	floorcontroller.jpg
Views:	4436
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	351061
            Taking a look at this and as someone who likes to DIY, from what I see this looks very doable. Heck, Could even put a sticker/picture on the front. But I'm clueless about electronics otherwise. So no soldering or circuit boards?

Past that my only concern is an added USB and I've run out of ports on the laptop. So.. would you recommend a powered USB hub or just one that would plug into a port and perhaps give another 4 ports? Have a SkyTrak here and am trying to think of the pro's and cons.

Comment

• rdeyer
              rdeyer commented
              Editing a comment
              No soldering, just a bit of drilling and the rest is plug and play. I would imagine a USB hub would work just fine to give yourself a few extra ports on the PC.

Thank you. Looking forward to this project.

Comment

Control box is the only way to go. Game changer!

Comment

So I don't know why I need to make things difficult for myself. Just got the parts in the mail and this crosses my mind.
                What would it take to make this device wireless to a laptop? I think I need to stop thinking.

Comment

You guys are making way too hard... Just buy a PXN 0082 off Amazon for $39.99. Plug it in and run the keysticks application to map the buttons to whatever you would like.

Amazon Link : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFM6QJJ...roduct_details

And thanks to the forum, thread is here:

Instead of paying a lot for a custom golf simulator control box or making my own which I really could not be bothered to do, I searched and bought this PXN 0082 arcade joystick and mapped the keys to what I wanted using keysticks (keysticks.net). I've mapped the stick with left/right being arrow left/right, and up and down with

Total setup is about 5 minutes. Add another 5 minutes if you don't like the button mapping already done.

Comment

Thank you rdeyer for the guidance. Still need to label what I've programmed for the buttons but it all works well.
                    Probably took me 3 hours in total. Thinking about putting a sticker over the entire top which would most likely be a pic
                    I took in St. Andrews or something similar. Also have it in mind of making this wireless but for the time being it works great!

Name:	PXL_20220116_211232408.jpg
Views:	3494
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	356438

Comment

Originally posted by AgileMike View Post
                      You guys are making way too hard... Just buy a PXN 0082 off Amazon for $39.99.
                      Just ordered - thanks for posting the link!

Comment

Originally posted by AgileMike View Post
                        You guys are making way too hard... Just buy a PXN 0082 off Amazon for $39.99. Plug it in and run the keysticks application to map the buttons to whatever you would like.

Amazon Link : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFM6QJJ...roduct_details

And thanks to the forum, thread is here:

Instead of paying a lot for a custom golf simulator control box or making my own which I really could not be bothered to do, I searched and bought this PXN 0082 arcade joystick and mapped the keys to what I wanted using keysticks (keysticks.net). I've mapped the stick with left/right being arrow left/right, and up and down with

Total setup is about 5 minutes. Add another 5 minutes if you don't like the button mapping already done.
                        I may just order one of these to have a backup so I do appreciate the link. Haven't put labels down yet and this is cropped to not show the clunkyness of the box but I like it thus far.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone tried to use one of these types of controllers with E6 Connect? There are only 2 keys on the keyboard that work in game as that is the left and right arrows, everything else is mouse driven, I have checked out the Roxor software and their control boxes, they have made it work, looks like they have presets for mouse pointer positions to navigate the play screens. Does anyone know if that is possible using the free software that comes with the interface board?

Comment

Since I got so many ideas from this forum, I thought I'd share the control box I just made for TGC. The joystick acts like a mouse so I can use the mini-map in TGC. I replaced the stock joystick ball with a real golf ball. The rest of the buttons are labeled for their keyboard function. I covered my box with green felt. If I were to do things differently, I would have gotten all white buttons. I think it would look a lot cleaner and not so much like Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                            X