Fold Up Garage Simulator - UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold Up Garage Simulator - UK

This is my third post in this section about how I built my garage simulator. Unfortunately Photobucket have changed their “third party hosting’ rules, and want $400 a year from me to display my images - which isn’t happening! Sadly this forum doesn’t let me edit my own posts, so I have to start again. Rather than copy and paste my previous thread, I’ve decided to re-write it in a bit more detail… although there may be sections of copy / paste from the last one!

Before I start rambling, I’ll post a couple of pictures of the finished article. I say finished, however it is continually evolving - so it’s finished as of writing! If I change anything, it’ll be added to the end of this post.

** Photo with the garage door open - hence the washed out picture **

** Setup fully retracted. I had 2 cars in here 10 mins before this photo was taken! **
    Last edited by p3eps; 08-03-2017, 09:52 PM.

Nice write-up - thanks for taking the time. I do very much like the snooker racks

I would have thought the green lights would have killed the contrast for your image. I was hoping the light from the projector would be enough in the room to see the ball. No?

Comment

Incredible build! This new thread really sells it too. Well done!

Comment

Very nice setup and great thread. I apologize if I missed it but what is the "rubber surround" you mention. Is that what your mat sits in? If so, the mat doesn't slide at all? My mat sits right on concrete and slides a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by shimonko View Post
          I would have thought the green lights would have killed the contrast for your image. I was hoping the light from the projector would be enough in the room to see the ball. No?
          Any light will slightly lower the contrast, but the very dim green is very minimal. If you just use the projector light, you can barely see the ball! I also need a bit of light for the camera. It's a small trade off between picture quality and usability. All the lights point away from the projector, so they're lighting up the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb50 View Post
            I apologize if I missed it but what is the "rubber surround" you mention. Is that what your mat sits in? If so, the mat doesn't slide at all? My mat sits right on concrete and slides a bit.
            My mat came with the rubber surround - although it was an optional extra. It's so heavy that it takes 2 people to lift / move it - which is why it stays on the floor when the setup is retracted (you'll see that in one of the first photos). I actually drive a car over it, and it still doesn't move.
            It didn't move on my previous setup with a shiny painted garage floor... but now I have a rubber mat on a rubber floor, it has no chance of sliding!

Comment

Love your setup! If you don't mind about how much money do you have into the screen, frame and curtins? I'm building a new setup in my garage and I'm thinking about copying yours!
              Last edited by Meatmiller; 08-12-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatmiller View Post
                Love your setup! If you don't mind about how much do you have into the screen, frame and curtins? I'm building a new setup in my garage and I'm thinking about copying yours!
                Thanks... not sure I'm understanding your question?
                What is it you actually want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by p3eps View Post

Thanks... not sure I'm understanding your question?
                  What is it you actually want to know?
                  Sorry I didn't word it very well. How much money invested in just the screen, frame and drapes? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Meatmiller View Post

Sorry I didn't word it very well. How much money invested in just the screen, frame and drapes? Thanks
                    OK... I've found the Par2Pro invoices buried in old emails...
                    Screen $799.89
                    Drapes $1235.00
                    As I was shipping them to the UK, I had massive postage charges and import duties to add on too. Thankfully, the dollar v's the UK pound was very favourable at the time!

My frame was bought from a UK supplier, and should've cost around £130 if I'd ordered it correctly the first time. I changed the height of it after getting the first package, so had to order a couple of bits again. Overall it probably cost me about £180 in total for the 2 shipments.

Comment

Hi P3eps, where did you get the piping from your frame? I'm from the UK also.

Comment

• vrpunk
                        vrpunk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What part UK you in, I bought a load from themetalstore but taking a different route, was going to measure it all and put it on ebay. As P3eps said, its like big kid mechanno, really easy to put together. Let me know what size you was thinking and will see if it all fits, i know i was doing something like 4m wide 3m high and depth about 1.2m

• Sherzy
                        Sherzy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm in the North East, i work away so i need to measure up properly when i get home. It's a double garage, so will take up most of it. I still need to store certain things in there also. My biggest problem is the height. it's probably only about 9ft so need to have a proper swing when i get it de-cluttered.

Originally posted by Sherzy View Post
                      Hi P3eps, where did you get the piping from your frame? I'm from the UK also.
                      Posts 4 and 14 both have links to it.
                      It was from themetalstore website. They cut it to specified sizes, so it's like building mechanno when you get it!

Comment

• Sherzy
                        Sherzy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh yeah, missed that the first time round. Thanks

Great write up! I have a flightscope and just ordered a very similar camera to yours off of Amazon (the brand is ELP). Hopefully the flightscope software lets me pick the resolution. If not, do you remember the manufacturer you got your camera from to default to 100 fps?

Comment

Originally posted by Golfr1108 View Post
                        Great write up! I have a flightscope and just ordered a very similar camera to yours off of Amazon (the brand is ELP). Hopefully the flightscope software lets me pick the resolution. If not, do you remember the manufacturer you got your camera from to default to 100 fps?
                        I don't know the manufacturer, but you can get it here:

If you want one, you'd have to email them in advance and advise that you want it set to 100fps DEFAULT. They were very accommodating!

Comment

Finally got my HMT a couple of weeks ago. I had to modify the positioning on my green GC2 stand, as the HMT arm hung over the edge - and the ball kept ending up underneath it!
                          The HMT integrates really well with FSX and is an information overload for me... as I'm still not 100% sure on what all the data means!
                          I've got a lesson booked with my pro for the weekend and am going to take the GC2 / HMT with me to compare with his Trackman 4 - as well as getting him to explain what everything means and exactly what I want to achieve.

I currently have my friend from work making me up and new custom fit Peli (Pelican in the US) case that takes both the GC2 and HMT. I've also ordered a new projector mount that fixes the projector significantly closer to the ceiling. I find some friends are scared of hitting it, so getting it higher up may help them lose that fear!

Comment

Great build! Outstanding engineering and some very creative ideas.

I have a question regarding the distance from where your ball is to the side curtain on the left. I am playing with the distances on my build and that curtain always seems to be close to where my driver swing travels. I have attached a little drawing to show what I am looking for. Does that curtain ever get in the way?

Thanks and AMAZING job!

Comment

Working...
                            X