Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a BALL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a BALL!

Has anyone done any comparisons of what to put behind the impact screen in order to minimize bounce back? I've read hundreds of posts and it seems almost everyone puts something in back, and the general consensus is that this is good for screen longevity as well as reducing bounce back. Awesome. Will do. Buuuut.....

What is BEST? Please share your experiences with your experimentation.

Netting behind screen? Archery net behind? Moving blankets? Both? Old impact screen(s)? Foam on back wall?

What about spacing? Some people seem to hang them from the same anchor points, while some put gaps between layers... thoughts?

My sim-room-to-be is a tight but do-able space length-wise. Every inch will count, though, so I'd like to set my angle iron just 8" from the back wall. Some people have done it, so if that's you, I'd love to get your feedback as well.

Heck I'd gladly put my screen flush to the wall if I could get Patches O'Hoolihan to train me... "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

8in is pretty tight. I dunno if possible. 10maybe. I would put a tight netting about 4in from Wall. I have a black thin mesh tarp hung free, and my old hitting screen hung free and both anchored to same anchors as front screen. I have the newer Mill screen and it’s crazy thick so I think that would be your best bet. I wouldn’t even try with a thin screen

Comment

• gnomike
      gnomike commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you re. the back distance, but "I gots ta try". I figure if I can't make the 8" work, then I can move the angle iron out and not even have to fix all the holes in the drywall lol. My screen is Carl's Premium until my name comes up on the mill list. The extra tight net layer 4" from the back wall is a great idea! Thanks

I tried moving blankets. They ended up getting destroyed from the impacts. There was fluff everywhere behind the screen. I now have my old screen acting as a backer to my new directly from the mill screen. You can go 8 inches from the wall but the wall should be padded with foam .

Comment

I ended up with this from Par2Pro, its heavy duty stuff.

Comment

• gnomike
        gnomike commented
        Editing a comment
        I had never noticed that stuff when I was looking through the par2pro site... any idea how it compares to archery netting? Essentially the same stuff?

• Shardak
        Shardak commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably the exact same material.

Shardak that looks good....how does it hang?

I bought the set up from all sports system which uses netting be hind the screen. I ran a bungee in front of it at the bottom to keep it against the screen. works OK.
      The stuff you bought from Par2Pro looks better though.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
        Shardak that looks good....how does it hang?

I bought the set up from all sports system which uses netting be hind the screen. I ran a bungee in front of it at the bottom to keep it against the screen. works OK.
        The stuff you bought from Par2Pro looks better though.
        I hung it from the top bar with zip-ties. And then left the sides unattached, except for the bottom corners....it hangs pretty much touching the impact screen.

Comment

I have a net hung tight then my old impact screen and the new version of direct from mill screen all touching and hung from same point on top and sides. Works well.

Comment

• gnomike
            gnomike commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good combo... how far are you from the back wall?

I am 8 I’m he’s from screen to wall. I have netting behind screen then 2 3 inch memory foam king sized mattresses suspended between the wall and screen. Works great.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
            I am 8 I’m he’s from screen to wall. I have netting behind screen then 2 3 inch memory foam king sized mattresses suspended between the wall and screen. Works great.
            thanks for that!
            Couple of clarifications, though... is your netting tensioned or free hanging & WRT to the mem foam, do you mean a total 6" thickness, or that you use two side by side to cover a larger screen area?

BTW thanks for all the feedback, gents... I'm starting to think I might actually be able to get away with the 8"...

Comment

Side by side. I'd never do it differently again. The net is tensioned with bungee cords. Pic is upside down for some reason.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

Archery netting for me.

Comment

I think I'm about a foot from the back wall, but could easily go less for sure.

Comment

Awesome, I love it when a plan comes together

- angle iron mounted 8 inches from the back wall
                    - Memory foam mattress toppers tacted to back wall
                    - Archery netting tensioned on top & sides on the angle iron
                    - Carl’s Premium in front
                    - my wife to test it out
                    - Depending on the result, I’ll either test it with my faster ball speeds, or I will suddenly find myself with the freedom to choose a bigger room in the house for the simulator

Comment

I have exact same setup (8” from wall, 2” mem foam, archery net, par2pro hq raw), but I did not attach memory foam to wall, I attached to angle iron above. In tests it bounced back less this way. Archery net can butt upon main screen and be touching, have this tighter than main screen.

my final test...the faster the ball speed the las bounce...wedges with spin bounce back more (3ft) than a driver, as the setup cushions the faster sots more....if that makes sense.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by vrpunk View Post
                        I have exact same setup (8” from wall, 2” mem foam, archery net, par2pro hq raw), but I did not attach memory foam to wall, I attached to angle iron above. In tests it bounced back less this way. Archery net can butt upon main screen and be touching, have this tighter than main screen.

my final test...the faster the ball speed the las bounce...wedges with spin bounce back more (3ft) than a driver, as the setup cushions the faster sots more....if that makes sense.

Good luck.
                        Brother that is awesome feedback...thx! Just curious how you attached the mem foam to the angle iron & if you would do it differently next time? I was wondering about hanging it, but was thinking that the weight of the foam might just rip it away from any tarp clip type attachment... apparently not?

Comment

Working...
                        X