Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does driver or wedge do more damage to nets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does driver or wedge do more damage to nets?

Just a basic question in the title. I got a net return and net guardian and just wondering if I should put the net guardian where the driver impacts the net or where the wedges impact the net. The driver obviously has a faster ball speed but the wedges spin much more when hitting the net. I’ll of course try to use non scuffed balls.

Just personal opinion. I don't have a net anymore, but did for a little while. We actually put sheets up in front of the net to save it from both.

The net was basically there as an outline for the sheets. It would also catch the shank (like I've ever hit one).

Comment

• gnomike
      gnomike commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, me either

When I used a net, it seemed that the most damage occurred higher up where the wedges would strike. Even using brand new balls, a well struck wedge will chew up the cover...combine that with a 10,000 rpm backspin and that's what causes the net to fray.

Comment

For me it appears that a wedge does more damage.

Comment

I would say that it would have to be a higher lofted club. My wedges don’t hit the screen and so I can’t comment on wedge impact. I think you have to make sure you take out golf balls that show wear early as a bad ball does much more damage.

Comment

Wedges for sure.
          And what Dax is saying, change balls as soon as they show some wear too save your screen.

Comment

+1 on wedges over drivers

drivers hit lower on the screen, so even with higher ball speeds, a 2200 rpm drive hits a more stabilized portion of the screen due to the proximity of the Emt frame

10k+ rpm spin from wedges in the upper center portion of the screen seem to cause more damage

Comment

I hung my net guardian vertically--maybe 6" from top rail--centered on intended target line

Comment

I vote wedge. The spin even leaves burn marks on the screen.

Comment

Depends what you are using the net for. If you are just whacking balls then probably the wedge. If you are playing sim golf then the driver simply because you may be hitting 14 full bore drivers while the amount of full bore wedges, which have a lot of spin, are usually minimal

Comment

I was going to vote wedge and I have some evidence from wearing out holes in my Rukket net in the location that my higher lofted clubs strike. However, Ronsc1985 makes a good point. Someone like me that practices much more than I play rounds will do more damage with my irons than with a driver. If you're like Wizard of Coz that plays rounds all the time you will hit more drivers than a max wedge shot.

Comment

A Wedge is what always puts the hole in my nets.

Comment

For me personally it was the 10k rpm wedge shots that poked a hole in my Net Return. They replaced the original net about 11 months into it.. I then bought the Net Guardian just like you did.

I actually cut the Net Guardian in half so I'd have 2 nets to wear out.

Comment

Working...
                        X