Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Shardak (NET) and @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - OHL Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic with 2 rounds at TPC Boston : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...he-rsm-classic
See more
See less

DIY sportscreen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY sportscreen

has anybody been able to replicate a roll up screw like seen at www.thesportscreen.com but made with their own parts to try and save a few bucks?

i was thinking about somehow using a bevel gearbox and trying it on my own or should I just not be cheap and pony up for a custom sport screen

I have not seen anyone who has done this, but it could certainly be done. I thought about trying to fabricate my own version of a SportScreen but I ended up just ordering one instead. I have a manual SS, which takes about 10 seconds to roll down and back up. They also sell the automated one where you push a remote button and it rolls down. Cool, but not worth the extra money, IMO.

I think you are on the right track with a bevel gear. I think the trick would be figuring out what to use as the roller section so that it doesn't bow in the middle. The SS uses a large diameter lightweight metal roller and the SS attaches directly to it via velcro.

Before I bought mine when I was looking at building my own, I remember reading a bunch of info at home theater websites where guys had made their own projector screens. Somewhere I read about one that was a roll up screen using a drill motor. You might get some ideas from home theater DIY sites. But keep in mind those projection screens probably weigh less than an impact screen does.

I hope that helps a little.

-Pat

Comment

Looked into it briefly, but after calculating the cost for a tubular motor and a 10-16 foot aluminum metal cylinder, it only saved me $200. Granted I'm a novice and had trouble finding the right parts so someone more knowledgeable might be able to cut the costs down further.

Main cost I had was buying a strong enough tubular motor that could handle the wt of the sportscreen mesh and an impact screen. Most of the cheap tubular motors were built for standard window blinds.

Comment

Jtangm04, Yes, a motor that could handle the weight off the screen would offset some of the cost savings, but I do think that the manual version that cranks down could be replicated cheaply by someone with the time and knowledge. I thought about giving it a shot, but decided to just buy and use my time somewhere else. But I'd love to see someone give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat S.
          I have not seen anyone who has done this, but it could certainly be done. I thought about trying to fabricate my own version of a SportScreen but I ended up just ordering one instead. I have a manual SS, which takes about 10 seconds to roll down and back up. They also sell the automated one where you push a remote button and it rolls down. Cool, but not worth the extra money, IMO.

I think you are on the right track with a bevel gear. I think the trick would be figuring out what to use as the roller section so that it doesn't bow in the middle. The SS uses a large diameter lightweight metal roller and the SS attaches directly to it via velcro.

Before I bought mine when I was looking at building my own, I remember reading a bunch of info at home theater websites where guys had made their own projector screens. Somewhere I read about one that was a roll up screen using a drill motor. You might get some ideas from home theater DIY sites. But keep in mind those projection screens probably weigh less than an impact screen does.

I hope that helps a little.

-Pat
          The drill route is probably the way that it would be most cost effective. A pulley or gear system could be used to reduce the load on the drill.

Comment

After lots of research I decided just to order a sportscreen. It is worth knowing others have been successful with this approach and so I don’t spend money to fail and get a sportscreen later anyway lol

my next hurdle is how to install it “lower” I have 10.5 foot ceilings and want it installed around a height of 9 feet so the black screen and my impact screen have a couple wraps around he bar to ensure it doesn’t go anywhere. My impact screen is 13x10 and I ordered the height extension with my sportscreen

Comment

When you guys ordered your sport screen, did you just purchase the hardware, or get the screen as well? I currently have an the SQ screen from par2pro, and don't use any kind of netting or backing for it. I have had no issues with it. So I am wondering if I can do without the screen part to save on cost and just see if they will sell me the hardware for the manual sport screen.

Comment

Working...
            X