Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Thundergolf (NET and GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - ProTee Open Hawaii !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - CareerBuilder Challenge with 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer) Thursday : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...lder-challenge
See more
See less

How Clean do you clubs need to be? Dirt transfer from club to screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Clean do you clubs need to be? Dirt transfer from club to screen?

I am not sure where this post should be so I will throw it here.

I am finishing my simulator this weekend. As of now, I have a very nice shiny white screen, and I would love to keep that way if possible.

For those that have had their simulator for a bit and use the same clubs on a real course as they do on their simulator, how clean do the clubs need to be? Have you noticed whether or not a bit of dirt in the grooves transfers from the ball to the screen if they are not pristine while hitting at home? Obviously you want them to be pretty clean at a minimum, but do they need to be REALLY clean?

Have you found a good method to get them clean? What cleaner? Wipes?

On a side note, is there a preferred ball people use? Is softer better? Harder? Doesn't matter?

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Josh

The ball needs to be clean.

So if you just run a tee down the grooves of your clubs to get the chunks out, and use a clean-ish ball, you'll be fine.

My problem has always been keeping the ball clean after it bounces on my dirty garage floor between shots.

Comment

• jtittle22
      jtittle22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, good to know I don't have to prepare the clubs as if I was using them in surgery. Sounds like a nice quick tee through the grooves with a clean ball should do the trick. Thanks for the response!

Softer the ball the more wear it'll have on your screen.

Depending on your system, and whether it measures spin or not, I'd use the hardest ball you can tolerate to keep them from cracking/scratching your screen over the years of use.

Comment

• jtittle22
      jtittle22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgive my ignorance, but why would softer balls hurt screen more, because they will get scuffed quicker and cause some scrapes sooner?

Thank you for the both of the responses...

• goatbarn
      goatbarn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, softer balls (usually more expensive prov1s...etc., any urethene cover ball is "soft") get scuffed easier. It's the scuffs spinning very fast (wedge shots) that ruin screens. Surlyn cover balls are the super hard (think Slazenger RAW Distance type balls) will last much longer and have less impact on the screen.

But, if you want super accurate results, you should play the ball you play in real life...unless your system doesn't measure spin.

I find that just cleaning my clubs after an outside rounds works. Forces me to clean them each time. I use just water and a toothbrush. Yes, my wife's toothbrush (jk).

My golf balls are brand new. I usually have 3-6 in the simulator. Probably after two tournaments mixed in with some practice rounds I will put them in my regular golf bag for use.
    If one goes off the carpet or takes a weird bounce I check it for spurs.

Comment

• jtittle22
      jtittle22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent advice, I will just make sure they are clean and like you, will probably make me more aware about keeping them clean out on the course. And yes, of course I will use my wife's toothbrush.

The ball rotation sounds completely reasonable. The good thing is that the balls will last longer in my simulator then they do on a real course...by like....a lot!

Thanks again!

• BlechBOX
      BlechBOX commented
      Editing a comment
      And just consider that you will eventually put a hole in your screen if you continue to use your simulator so when a good deal comes up i suggest getting a back up screen.

Found this on Amazon. I am going to build a club holder and have this inserted near the end. Put the whole thing on wheels and add a cup holder or two.

Comment

• BlechBOX
      BlechBOX commented
      Editing a comment
      keither5150 Don't the project a's have a soft cover? I would think they would cut up the screen as they are taylormades highest spinning ball.

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have used Project A's for close to 2 years.... I have found that they are the most durable ball that actually has a good feel to it. TP5 are the same for durability. I only buy those when they are on sale. All I know is that the A's seem to last forever. I have cracked a couple of them. At first I was using ProV1's as I had a few hundred given to me. They are terrible for scuffing and cutting. Give Project A's a try. I know more than a few sim guys who swear by them and also use them Outdoors.

• FaultyClubs
      FaultyClubs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to try them. Although a bit painful to see they cost more than the Pro V1 Practice balls I'm currently using. Pro V1 do seem to scuff and cut easily.
Working...
X