Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

Updated Screen Reviews? Looking for more impact screen info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Screen Reviews? Looking for more impact screen info

The impact screen 101 in now 8 years old...

I'm starting in on my 3rd sim build. Ideally I've get raw material or hemmed. That said, general consensus for impact screens these days? Are all the premium screens the same? Look for screen suggestions for great picture and durability

Wow. No opinions on screens?

Comment

Happy with my screen from Spectrum golf.

Comment

• cgdavis_2
        cgdavis_2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. Im planning on going with their 9X9 option with the 10X10X5 net here in about a month.

I have a Carl's Golf Premium screen and I like it for its sound deadening capability. I am seeing some wear in the spot where I hit most of my shots, but it is minor separation of the fibers of the front layer. My hitting position is between 7 and 9 feet from the screen as my room is not deep enough to move back any farther. I've had my screen up since about November of 2020 so I have hit probably a couple thousand shots into the screen.

I will say that it was pretty springy and would send a driver shot back across the room until I added adequate backing material - a layer of mesh followed by moving blankets. It is possible that I did more damage to the screen by using it for a couple months without the backing material. Since I added that behind the screen, I get almost zero rebound from any club and and have not seen any additional wear on the screen.

Some of us have experimented with a polyester Photo Backdrop that costs about $40. In my case, I hung it in front of my screen and it takes shots with no visible damage, but it was much louder than hitting the impact screen. I'm still going to try to bungee the Photo Backdrop up so it has a little tension (I used tarp clips for the test) to see if that reduces the cracking sound. If I can reduce the sound, I will definitely use it like several others have (see this post https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-impact-screen). I added some video showing the picture quality of this option along with the audio. When I get around to it, I will post a new test setup.

In general, you cant go wrong with an impact screen. I have the Carl's Premium, my coworker just bought the Spectrum Premium (or whatever they call their High Def screen). The picture on my screen is good but it always has some amount of wrinkling or bulging where the ball hits, so I also have a 55" flat screen on the back wall showing the same image. I only use the projector on the impact screen at night as my room lets in too much light since I have a dormer with windows at about 22 feet above the floor. Not worth installing blinds when the flat screen is under $400.

Comment

Originally posted by tntfox View Post
        I have a Carl's Golf Premium screen and I like it for its sound deadening capability. I am seeing some wear in the spot where I hit most of my shots, but it is minor separation of the fibers of the front layer. My hitting position is between 7 and 9 feet from the screen as my room is not deep enough to move back any farther. I've had my screen up since about November of 2020 so I have hit probably a couple thousand shots into the screen.

I will say that it was pretty springy and would send a driver shot back across the room until I added adequate backing material - a layer of mesh followed by moving blankets. It is possible that I did more damage to the screen by using it for a couple months without the backing material. Since I added that behind the screen, I get almost zero rebound from any club and and have not seen any additional wear on the screen.

Some of us have experimented with a polyester Photo Backdrop that costs about $40. In my case, I hung it in front of my screen and it takes shots with no visible damage, but it was much louder than hitting the impact screen. I'm still going to try to bungee the Photo Backdrop up so it has a little tension (I used tarp clips for the test) to see if that reduces the cracking sound. If I can reduce the sound, I will definitely use it like several others have (see this post https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-impact-screen). I added some video showing the picture quality of this option along with the audio. When I get around to it, I will post a new test setup.

In general, you cant go wrong with an impact screen. I have the Carl's Premium, my coworker just bought the Spectrum Premium (or whatever they call their High Def screen). The picture on my screen is good but it always has some amount of wrinkling or bulging where the ball hits, so I also have a 55" flat screen on the back wall showing the same image. I only use the projector on the impact screen at night as my room lets in too much light since I have a dormer with windows at about 22 feet above the floor. Not worth installing blinds when the flat screen is under $400.
        I second the premium from Carls. I've had all three. The preferred wasn't much different than the standard in my opinion, but when I hang the premium and hit into it. I thought whoa!

Comment

I third Carl's premium. I have dbgolf screen too but haven't used it yet. It looks premium too.

Comment

I have a Par2Pro SQ screen and one year in am extremely pleased with it. Super quiet, no bounce back and no wear that I can detect with regular use. Highly recommend if you have not yet checked them out, screens are avail in standard, custom and raw footages. Worth a look IMO.

Comment

• Keith
              Keith commented
              Editing a comment
              Question: you mentioned no bounce back. Sounds great. But do you happen to know how much the screen moves with a hard hit? I'm putting a Par2Pro screen in front of my movie screen mounted on the wall. Is 12" between the screens sufficient so that nothing touches the movie screen.

• jasonreg
              jasonreg commented
              Editing a comment
              Commented below - but it seemed to cut and paste my original comment. In any case - you should be good with the 12" behind the screen.

I second the par2pro SQ screen. I've had it for a year and it is super quiet and shows no wear. Plus I get no bounce back. I don't think I'll ever go with a different screen at this point. Well worth the investment. I did the raw material and used the tarp clips like gungho suggests and it works perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by triplebogeysrbetter View Post

I second the premium from Carls. I've had all three. The preferred wasn't much different than the standard in my opinion, but when I hang the premium and hit into it. I thought whoa!
              Another recommendation for Carls premium. They shipped (internationally) very quick and ive been using it for around 1.5 years and it doesnt show any wear.

Comment

How is the bounce back for the Spectrum screen, and how does it attach?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonreg View Post
                  I have a Par2Pro SQ screen and one year in am extremely pleased with it. Super quiet, no bounce back and no wear that I can detect with regular use. Highly recommend if you have not yet checked them out, screens are avail in standard, custom and raw footages. Worth a look IMO.
                  I have 12" behind my screen and have never had an issue. It deflects a bit but I am not sure it comes anywhere near the 12 ". I know that some are using less but 12" seems to be a fairly standard recommendation.

Comment

I'm also curious on the noise level of screens. Are the 3 layers screen louder or quieter?

Comment

I incorrectly purchased my "type" of screen attachment from spectrum.

I should have purchased the "Hanging" model but I purchased their standard model. My model is meant to have 4 pieces of pvc run around the edges in their own sleeves. I am only using the top and bottom this way. I have tarp clips along the sides. I will purchase the hanging model next time. No issues with mine even though it is slightly off.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with onestopsimshop’s triple layer impact? Their raw materials triple layer is significantly cheaper then most places https://onestopsimshop.com/products/...37874296094877

Comment

Working...
                        X