Ultimate DIY Hitting Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate DIY Hitting Station

So I have been using a combination of various diy mat types and setups and figured I would rebuild a stance platform and hitting area to accommodate all the various options. I friend of mine who got rid of his sim gave me his mat combination. The problem was, it was an odd size to use with the skytrak. It was 3 x 5 and worked well with his GC2 since it had a larger FOV. With the skytrak having a smaller area it was difficult going from Driver to Wedge and hitting from the same spot.

Anyway, I wanted an area that I could hit all clubs without having an issue with my stance, a hitting section that could switch easily between all options and have them joined together so it wouldn't move around.

As to the options, it needed to be able to work with DIY Divot Action, DIY Truestrike, DIY Magstrike and the CCE mat.

The hitting mat used for the Divot Action, Truestrike and Magstrike appears to be a premium residential mat at 1-1/8"H, with a 5/8"base and 1/2" pile height.

My stance platform is 2" high, with 2x4's layed on their side with 1/2" plywood and I hit all shots from about 20" from the front edge of the platform. The hitting section is 12" x 48" and has a 1/4" base.

The DIY Divot Action used a piece of 3/16" Lexan that I got from a local supplier cut to 12" x 18". It has a 1/2" H x 1.5" wide strips at each end giving the Lexan 15" of flex and allows it to flex 1/2" down. The lexan from HD is only 3/32" and actually sags in the middle at this length. The 1/4" seemed to rigid, so far the 3/16" seems perfect. It stays straight and flexes enough in the swing. In the front and back of the divot action is a piece of 5/8" plywood.

The DIY Truestrike uses the 5/8" Gel cut to 12' x 18" and it sits in the same spot as the Divot Action. Same with the divot action, in front and back of the Gel are 5/8" plywood and the mat sits directly on top of them.

The DIY Magstrike. The idea is the mat sits on a cushion of air by placing magnets facing each other with the same polarity so they oppose each other. I used rare earth ceramic magnets that were 1-1/4" diameter. These are placed into the base of the hitting station and the base of the hitting mat. In order to do this, I had to get a 1-3/8" Forstner bit. The magnets would not fit into the opening using a 1-1/4" Forstner bit. Probably because the magnets were not true 1-1/4" diameter. I didn't measure them. Anyway, this gives you a flat base to put the magnets and keep them in place. I wanted the turf to be able to be turned around if any wear starts to show, so in order to do that, you need to make sure your magnet pattern on the base and the mat is symmetrical. With these magnets, it works well, but it's a little too easy to flex. If you set your clubhead down and push with any force, it will flex. So i am now waiting on Neodymium magnets since they are much stronger. I have 1/2" H x 7" W strips at the front and rear of the hitting base. This allows for a 1/2" air gap for the mat to flex. Getting the right magnet combination is key, so it's still a work in progress.

Then the CCE just sits in the hitting strip.

Out of these, the Magstrike is far and away the easiest on the joints. You literally hit off a cushion of air. I suggest going to their site to read about it. Not sure where you can actually purchase theirs as they appear to be based out of Europe. Next would probably be a toss up between the Divot Action and the Truestrike. CCE being the harshest on the joints.

Now that it's complete, the next step will be doing some testing to see how they affect spin and launch.

From L to R,
    CCE hitting strip
    Base for the DIY Divot Action/Truestrike (Gel sits in the same place as the lexan)
    Mat for for DA/TS
    Mat for Magstrike(1/2"H x 7"W plywood on top, they are actually underneath when put into the base)
    Base for Hitting Strip (you can see the magnet pattern)
    Stance Platform (this attaches to the Hitting strip via gate hooks)

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	13301
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	130684

Closeup of the Base with magnets

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	10235
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	130685
    Closeup of hitting mat with magnets

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	10185
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	130686

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	10249
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	130688
    This shows the Divot Action and the mat that would go directly on top. The Gel sits in same location as the Lexan here.

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	10286
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	130687

Thanks for the post! Great work.

I am very interested to read the results of your spin and launch testing. Please keep us updated.

Comment

Great idea! No better way I can think of to isolate and compare the launch conditions of the different types of hitting/mat options. And also feel and wear/tear on the body.

On the DIY TS and DA setup is there 5/8” of foam (typical driving mat backing) between the turf and gel/lexan? If so, it will be interesting to see how much that layer of foam affects things.

Comment

Currently on the TS and DA, i have left the 5/8" foam in place. I'm guessing there would be a difference if i removed it, but on the DA so far, it still flexes with no issue. The mat is actually quite flexible, much more so than the CCE. I have another strip available if I decide to have one with the foam removed.

Comment

• BadEddieKit
          BadEddieKit commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have any issues with "no reads" when using the Magstrike?

Holy smokes...this is some very good work out of you. I'm most interested in that MagStrike mat. That is some VERY outside the box thinking on their behalf. What would you say the cost is for your DIY version of that? If it's cheap enough and you get down a good technique......I think you could actually sell them to some folks here and make a good cut. Or to avoid a lawsuit......just post the instructions. Either way works.

Comment

I haven't even had a chance to use my skytrak with the magstrike yet. Hopefully this weekend. I have no desire to make them for anyone, but i'm more than happy to share what I did. The limited shots i did take, it was quite evident to me that this is the easiest on the joints. Depending upon cost, I would probably buy the real deal if it was available.

I'm seeing so far that if you double stack magnets in the base and the mat that it gives a greater effect. I think I may need more due to my layout.

50-1-1/4"x 1/5" magnets were $14 (I would suggest getting 100 to start)
          Forstner bit was $15
          Wood was about t$10 (just for the hitting section)
          Mat is up to you. I had a piece that I re-purposed.
          Lexan 18" x 12" x 3/16" was $19
          Last edited by wbond; 10-20-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Little_Stickner
            Little_Stickner commented
            Editing a comment
            I currently have a DIY divot action with the thin Lexan you can get at Home Depot.

Three questions on the 3/16" Lexan:

1) Does it still flex?
            2) For the 18"x12" piece does it stay rigid if it were just supported at the very ends? (My thin Lexan sags)
            3) Assuming the 18x12 stays rigid, do you think a 24x12 piece would stay rigid?

Thanks my friend!

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            1-yes, flexes no problem
            2- yes stays rigid no problem. I did not go with the one from hd as I noticed the same thing, it's to thin and sags on its own.
            3- I believe it would not sag at this dimension.

• Little_Stickner
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info wbond! I am going to upgrade to the thicker Lexan.

Played first round last night with the magstrike and didn't have a misread. One thing I noticed, since it will push down a little with force, it made me relax my grip some and I actually hit the ball better. I know I grip the club too tightly.

Comment

• Little_Stickner
            Editing a comment
            That is a very interesting outcome and it makes sense. I recently started hovering the club for all my shots to try and help my grip pressure (I hold it way too tight as well).

I honestly don't appreciate you posting about the DIY mag strike. Now I am going to be forced to build one for myself. I can't wait to for the amazon prime order to show up and have to answer to the wife why I ordered a small truckload of magnets!

Hi wbond

I have just recently acquired a GC2 and I'm currently trying to work out what I need for my setup. Thank you for your post, excellent info.

I​​​​​​ do have a couple of questions however.
          With the FOV of the GC2. What would be the best putting surface and what side would be preferable. Closer to the GC2 for putting? Also I presume you are using Tomahawk tees.

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            The FOV on the GC2 is much larger, however since I don't own one myself, i cannot comment about best placement for putting. I would create a thread in the GC2 section and ask there. Those who have them can probably give you a good indication if one side of the FOV is better than the other for putting. As far as surface, which ever one gives you the speed closest to what you play. It should have a uniform surface as well. I don't think the CCE mat is great for putting since the surface is quite rough and not uniform so it can bounce around a bit. I do use tomahawk tees with the claw tee tether. Easily one of the greatest items for a sim.
            Last edited by wbond; 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM.

Here is a video showing the magstrike in action. You can see it "bounce", it doesn't take much force to deflect it.

Comment

• cooke23
            cooke23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, that looks a bit too flimsy for me. Or I mean it gives too much just touching it with club. I think that part would drive me crazy but maybe from the top down look it doesn’t seem to move as much. Can you rest the club behind ball and on takeaway does the ball jiggle? That’d mess my whole psyche up if I could see it move. Lol

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            With the current magnet layout, when you set the club down, it does move. I really need to lighten the grip so on takeaway it doesn't "jiggle". It will take some trial and error trying to determine the correct layout, magnet strength and size. I do like the concept, but would prefer it to be more rigid to start out.

• BadEddieKit
            BadEddieKit commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya who would of thought that we could get a mat that is too forgiving. I agree that the way it appears now would be too much for me also, but i'm sure with some trial and error, you should be able to dial it right in. Good post, im definitely intrigued, keep us updated on how it goes!

Very interesting. My recall from the actual MS video is that the turf panel itself was also more rigid, so that on impact the entire turf panel went down. It is unlike the TS where the turf/gel deflects where the club hits the turf. Just an observation. Good work!

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            It's hard to tell for sure. When you watch the video and the slow mo video, it flexes more in certain areas. Even looking at the par2pro videos, when he hits it appears to flex down in the middle and up at the ends. You would have to add rails or something on the underside to make it all rigid and then have a lot more magnets. One thing is for sure, their mat doesn't have the flex that I have so far when just setting the club head down.

really nice work wbond. any initial feelings on spin and launch between the different mats?

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately not yet, i have still been messing with the setup of panels and preventing my mat from sliding around on the turf. I think I've got that one fixed now.

Well, i've finished testing all four mat combinations and the only thing I can deduce is, it comes down to feel for personal preference. I tested a 50 degree wedge and a 7 iron using brand new KSigs with the alignment marker facing the ST for every shot. I used 5 "normal" shots for every combination and took the average for comparison. I believe the differences are easily accountable by my lack of consistency. CCE for sure slows the clubhead down more than any of the others if hit fat. Magstrike is definitely the softest feeling and was the highest in spin for both clubs and the lowest launching for both clubs.

On the wedge for BS, from Hi to Low was a 2 mph gap with CCE being lowest.
          Launch angle margin was one degree with Magstrike being lowest and DA being highest.
          Backspin margin was less than 700 difference with DA being lowest.
          SS margin was less than 500 difference.

On the 7 iron there was no difference in BS.
          Launch angle margin was .8 of a degree.
          Back spin margin was less than 300
          SS margin was less than 130

For me and my swing, it shows there really is no difference in the mat setups that I have.

Next up is getting video of the Divotaction and the truestrike.

With the mat I'm using with the TS, I'm not sure how much the GEL is playing a part.
          Last edited by wbond; 10-27-2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Just an update, i picked up a couple of the fiberbuilt 1x1 foot sections and added them to my option list. I haven't had a chance to play or get any readings yet, but the swings that i did take, I was really impressed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.JPG
Views:	10384
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	140861

Comment

wbond Any update on the Fiberbuilt numbers for comparison between CCE and truestrike?

Comment

• doublebogey
                doublebogey commented
                Editing a comment
                Would love to see that too. Thanks.

I'll try to get some numbers when I get a chance, probably next week sometime.

Comment

Working...
              X