Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polypropylene vs. Nylon Golf Mats (Bright Light vs. CCE vs. Rawhide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polypropylene vs. Nylon Golf Mats (Bright Light vs. CCE vs. Rawhide)

Hi,

Generally, what're people's thoughts / experience on polypropylene vs. nylon golf mats? I only care about ball striking (e.g., wedges, irons, woods) vs. putting.

Specifically, I'm currently considering one of the following 3 mats:

1) BrightLight's Top Range Country Club mat - 6-6 Nylon (https://www.brightlightgolf.com/country-club-tee-up-mat)
    2) CCE - Nylon (https://www.costco.com/Country-Club-...100034931.html)
    3) Rawhide Golf's "Grade A" reconditioned mat - Polypropylene (https://rawhidegolfball.com/product/golf-mat/)

Has anyone had experience with all 3 mats? Or at least the CCE and one of the other mats?
    Initial impressions:
    • All 3 mats have thick turf that you can stick a real tee into
    • Rawhide's price at less than 1/2 of the other two is very attractive and they have a lot of positive reviews
    • I've hit on the BrightLight mat at a local golf course - it's fantastic
    Interested to hear what people have to say.

Thanks!

caldiver Personally, would never touch a recondition mat. They've a lifespan and no telling what you're getting. I would use that money on something new.

I don't have the CCE, instead I'm using it's cousin if you will. They say no shock or bounce. Agree with the bounce, but there is a ton of shock to my body. My body can feel if I hit to much.

I'm in the processing of adding a fiberbuilt strip to lessen the blow. I just can't play in the garage like I want with that type of mat.

Comment

Thanks for the input. What is the brand / name of the mat that you have?

I also had the same worries about the Rawhide mat when I initially read the description. But looking at the reviews and talking to the owner, I feel like it wouldn't be compromising much vs. a brand new mat. He explained that they get them after only 1 year of use from the supplier of those mats.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
        triplebogeysrbetter commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn’t purchase it again. Was new to the sim game and purchased it cause our fitter had one.

Wish I purchased the truestrike to start.

• caldiver
        caldiver commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks good to know. I have tomahawk tees already and just like the option to put in real tees if I want. I also have the short rubber tee that takes a regular tee as well. I mainly like the thick mats because I want to be at least somewhat punished for any fat hits.

• gnomike
        gnomike commented
        Editing a comment
        you must be younger than i am... my body doesn't need any extra punishment lol

probably not the most convenient shipping but i use this mat.... i never any any issues with elbow soreness etc after using. it has holes to place adjustable tee's into also.

Comment

I started out with the CCE insert and you can see many other forum posts about it. It is rough on your body and most people end up getting rid of it and moving to something else such as Fiberbuilt, or Divot Action. I cannot speak to those other two mats.

Comment

Originally posted by caldiver View Post
          Hi,

Generally, what're people's thoughts / experience on polypropylene vs. nylon golf mats? I only care about ball striking (e.g., wedges, irons, woods) vs. putting.

Specifically, I'm currently considering one of the following 3 mats:

1) BrightLight's Top Range Country Club mat - 6-6 Nylon (https://www.brightlightgolf.com/country-club-tee-up-mat)
          2) CCE - Nylon (https://www.costco.com/Country-Club-...100034931.html)
          3) Rawhide Golf's "Grade A" reconditioned mat - Polypropylene (https://rawhidegolfball.com/product/golf-mat/)

Has anyone had experience with all 3 mats? Or at least the CCE and one of the other mats?
          Initial impressions:
          • All 3 mats have thick turf that you can stick a real tee into
          • Rawhide's price at less than 1/2 of the other two is very attractive and they have a lot of positive reviews
          • I've hit on the BrightLight mat at a local golf course - it's fantastic
          Interested to hear what people have to say.

Thanks!

I have a rawhide reconditioned mat I bought off ebay and it's fantastic. Better than any mat I've use at any driving range, ever. It's really a great mat.

My local golf course uses CCE mats, and after some trial and error I determined it was the cause of some serious tennis elbow I was struggling with for a bit. I decided to start going to a different range because of those mats. That was before I got my golf sim and the rawhide mat. The rawhide is worlds better.

I can't speak to the brightlihts...

Comment

• caldiver
            caldiver commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for chiming in. Great to hear the rawhide mats are as good as I was hoping.
            Did you get the "A" grade or the "B" grade? How was the condition of the mat? Did you notice any indentations or wear around the stance / hitting areas.

Turns out my fiance talked to a few friends and they pooled together to get me a CCE mat. I'll give that a shot for a bit, but may end up ordering the rawhide as well and comparing before deciding which one I want to keep.
            Last edited by caldiver; 12-03-2018, 10:53 PM.

caldiver That's awesome she and some friends did that for you. Marry that one quick, before she gets away. ;-)

One thing to keep in mind about the CCE is:

1. Hard on the body (elbows, shoulders)
          2. Slows the clubhead down slighty at impact.
          3. At impact tends to grab the club and force it closed.

Comment

• caldiver
            caldiver commented
            Editing a comment
            Seriously, right?! I knew she was a keeper well before this mat though.

Thanks for the additional notes - I'll definitely notice things like that especially #3 if it becomes an issue. I had actually done a decent job of breaking in my previous mat, but it still gave me enough of #1 that I sold it and am now looking for something else.
            Last edited by caldiver; 12-03-2018, 10:53 PM.

You will know you were somehow fat on that CCE type mat, even if it felt good, when the distance is two thirds of what you expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan McWhirter
            You will know you were somehow fat on that CCE type mat, even if it felt good, when the distance is two thirds of what you expected.
            Does “anyone” like the CCE mats?? They are one of the more expensive but yet I don’t see how they stay in business based on the feedback from this forum. Lol! I am what appears to be the “unfortunate” owner of a 5x10 CCE mat who is still awaiting my sim room to be completed before I get to experience all the pain that is yet to come.

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
              Dan McWhirter commented
              Editing a comment
              Never got pain from fat shots, but then I'm not a fast swinger.

• Solstice72
              Solstice72 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lamar, I just got my Sim in October and have the 5x10 cce. I didn't know it at the time but it is likely the cause of shorting a distance on some irons at times. At the same time I have a back issue now not because of the mat but now I can't use this mat because it grabs the club. It really is a great mat but like I've Been Told by someone else on the Forum this is a premier range mat. But for the Nutty amount of golf the guys in this place in their simulator play golf, that might be too excessive for this particular product in the simulator setting. That being said if you bought it and have it you should use it and see. It's really sort of pleasant to stand on I think and make a small cut out strip one by 5 fiberbuilt like I'm probably going to do if you end up not entirely liking it. It still is a warhorse and may perfectly work out for you

Originally posted by gibbiesmalls View Post

I have a rawhide reconditioned mat I bought off ebay and it's fantastic. Better than any mat I've use at any driving range, ever. It's really a great mat.

My local golf course uses CCE mats, and after some trial and error I determined it was the cause of some serious tennis elbow I was struggling with for a bit. I decided to start going to a different range because of those mats. That was before I got my golf sim and the rawhide mat. The rawhide is worlds better.

I can't speak to the brightlihts...

I got their grade A near mint mat.

Comment

• Solstice72
              Solstice72 commented
              Editing a comment
              How well does the putt roll on it? Need one to 4 in of near perfect straight line roll

Originally posted by triplebogeysrbetter View Post
            caldiver Personally, would never touch a recondition mat. They've a lifespan and no telling what you're getting. I would use that money on something new.

I don't have the CCE, instead I'm using it's cousin if you will. They say no shock or bounce. Agree with the bounce, but there is a ton of shock to my body. My body can feel if I hit to much.

I'm in the processing of adding a fiberbuilt strip to lessen the blow. I just can't play in the garage like I want with that type of mat.
            Can you provide a picture of that strip when it's done? I may copy it with my cce. Btw, what's the buzz on putting with the Fiberbuilt? Not good?

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
              triplebogeysrbetter commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do. Might be end of the year.

I know you can putt from it. I haven't heard alot of whether was putting made worst.

TBH, on practice round (anytime other that tour rounds) I have putting turned off on TGC. Gimme (green+2).

Originally posted by Lamar Young View Post

Does “anyone” like the CCE mats?? They are one of the more expensive but yet I don’t see how they stay in business based on the feedback from this forum. Lol! I am what appears to be the “unfortunate” owner of a 5x10 CCE mat who is still awaiting my sim room to be completed before I get to experience all the pain that is yet to come.
            In my business I have a lot of golf course clients. I'm guessing a bit, but I suspect CCE gets a great reputation because of the build quality and durability... the golf clubs/ranges love that. Sim users, however, generally (lots of exceptions i know!) look for something more forgiving because they are logging more hours on them.

Don't worry about having a 5x10 CCE, though, because it is a great mat! If you end up not loving the harshness of it, you can do what many on the forum have done and cut in another hitting strip... FB, DA, TrueStrike etc

Comment

Originally posted by gnomike View Post

In my business I have a lot of golf course clients. I'm guessing a bit, but I suspect CCE gets a great reputation because of the build quality and durability... the golf clubs/ranges love that. Sim users, however, generally (lots of exceptions i know!) look for something more forgiving because they are logging more hours on them.

Don't worry about having a 5x10 CCE, though, because it is a great mat! If you end up not loving the harshness of it, you can do what many on the forum have done and cut in another hitting strip... FB, DA, TrueStrike etc
              Summarized well and that's what I was starting to suspect it's a great Mat the CCE but not for Sims and the Power hours we cranked at it! I will get that other strip

Comment

I've had the CCE mat for a couple of days now and have had back-to-back sessions on it where I hit ~130 shots and then ~70 shots. Overall good experience so far - much MUCH better than the previous mat I had. No more mat residue on my clubs and the material seems to be easier on my joints and back. It is more "spongey" than my previous mat, but I've gotten used to it. It does slide around a bit more than my previous mat on my concrete flooring of my garage. I haven't noticed any impact to my shot distance or shape compared to my previous mat. Yes, if you hit it really fat, it will show in your shot, but that's just like real life...

I've also ordered a grade A Rawhide mat and will write a more thorough comparison once I've had a chance to hit more on both mats.
                Last edited by caldiver; 12-13-2018, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Lombo
                  Lombo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would like to hear your comparision thoughts between the Rawhide and the CCE mat. I just received the rawhide mat and it's much better than what I have used in the past (mainly cheap general mats). I've never used a fiberbuilt or CCE mat. My issue is that I cannot seem to get an accurate Skytrak reading from any mat I have used with a 3 wood or a strong lofted hybrid. I don't know if the lower launch angle is the issue or if it's the mats I have used with the unit, but it's very strange. When I have hit these very same clubs in a golf store using GC2's or AboutGolf simulators, I don't seem to have this issue - but then again, I'm hitting off different mats as well there. Anyway, if you have a chance to post about a comparison, I'd be interested.

• caldiver
                  caldiver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I definitely will. I get the rawhide on Wednesday so maybe 1-2 weeks after that. Regarding the 3-wood issue, have you made sure the bottom of your ST and the top of the mat are at the same height (as nearly as possible)? I had issues with my 3wood / hybrids in the past and am no longer seeing that issue after I paid closer attention to this. You can take a ruler or another flat object to ensure whatever the skytrak is sitting on is the same height as the top of the mat.

I've posted a comparison of Rawhide vs. CCE mats here: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ins-hands-down

Spoiler - get the Rawhide!

Comment

Working...
                X