TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Currently using CCE but I am looking into getting either a Truestrike or a fiberbuilt. Looking for pros and cons of both from people who actually used both. I like my CCE but can be a little rough on the elbow with my swing path.

Any advice that you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by xdxaxvxex View Post
    thanks for all the info on this. I bought my sim and a 5x5 CCE mat 2 months ago. At first I thought the CCE was fine but pretty quickly it started to hurt. Now, it hurts my back every time I play and I am in the process of replacing it. Probably going to go with the Fiberbuilt 4X5. Called Fiberbuilt today. they were very helpful. They are out of stock until mid April on the 4x5 though.
    What’s the price for a 4x5 fiberbuilt ?

Comment

I just purchased the TeeStrike by SynLawn, has anyone compared that turf too these other top names?

Comment

Originally posted by moadhia View Post

What’s the price for a 4x5 fiberbuilt ?
        Purchasing direct from fiberbuilt, it is $499.99 w/ free shipping. I spoke with David Knox, sales who was very helpful. He said to the best of his knowledge the price will be the same when back in stock. Cheaper direct than on any other site that I could find. https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/products/...erformance-mat

Comment

With the 4’x5’ FB mat, there isn’t sufficient space for a GCQuad (or other device) to sit on the mat, but is that a big enough issue to justify the expense of the 7’x4’ FB mat? This is my first simulator build, so I wasn’t sure if I would look back and be happy I sprung for the extra space or if it isn’t really necessary?

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            You will probably want to raise the GCQuad up so that it sits level with the surface of the mat, but you can do that easily enough by building a small platform for it to sit on next to the mat. It is more a matter of your personal preference for aesthetics than actual functionality. The Quad's hitting area should be big enough that you can hit full swing shots off of the fairway section and putt off of the stance mat if you want.

• davsun
            davsun commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense. I figured I’d have to build some platform to raise the GCQuad to mat level, but wasn’t sure if I was missing any non-aesthetic issues. Maybe I’ll just get the larger one and call it good. It sounds like I’d have to wait a little longer for the 4’x5’ FB mat anyway. Thanks!

If you plan to do any putting off the mat with the Quad I'd talk to Fiberbuilt about it. They talked me out of it. More like putting on a lush fairway than a green or fringe. Some people don't seem to mind but didn't sound so great to me. I know hitting off the stuff is great though.

Comment

• davsun
            davsun commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a good point. Maybe I’ll give FB a call to discuss the putting part. What did you find worked as a better putting alternative than the FB mat?

• Trickle007
            Trickle007 commented
            Editing a comment
            The putting is not an issue at all I saw no speed changes from CCE to FB

• mmlincon
            mmlincon commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm using a truestrike but it has issues of it's own. The turf starts get concave over time so if you are not centered you can have putts going left/right. The quad is super accurate so any deviation can effect the results. Oh and let me be clear. I'm talking the hitting grass panels and not the stance turf. I would expect the stance turf to behave very similar to CCE.

Anyway, talk to Fiberbuilt about it. Like I said they talked me out of it. I was going to give it a go to try and address the truestrike issues.

I bought the Fiberbuilt Practice Station from Costco (which btw is back on sale for $199 4/3 - 4/7). It is pretty good but has some quirks to it and I'm already starting to think I want that big lovely Fiberbuilt 7' x 4' studio mat!

My only hesitation right now is wondering if there is any possibility to buy it cheaper than the MSRP of $950.. that is a lot of cheddar just to upgrade my mat. But reading this post is definitely making me covet it!

Trickle007 can you confirm how tall the 7' x 4' mat is? I'm hoping it isn't much taller than the Practice Station since I deal with limited ceiling height in my garage.

Comment

• davsun
            davsun commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. The $950 is steep, but perhaps in the long run I’ll appreciate the upfront investment. I just need to convince myself that’s the case!

• Trickle007
            Trickle007 commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost 2 inches tall. Basically the same height as a CCE. Dont quote me but I do believe the exact measurement is 1 ⁷/⁸ inches tall.

I will agree the the extra cost for the extra 2 foot of mat is hard to swallow but I liked the look and the ability to place my monitor on the same level as my hitting surface. I just did not want to regret buying the 4x5. I learned my lesson after buying the CCE which I purchased to save a few bucks. From now on I am going to buy once and buy exactly what I want.

• davsun
            davsun commented
            Editing a comment
            I just bought the FB 7’x4’ mat and it’s fantastic. Glad I went with the larger mat for sure!

Bought the 4x5 FiberBuilt (to replace an old driving range mat, generously given to me by a friend who owns a range). Very happy with the investment in a good mat that will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmoulty View Post
            Bought the 4x5 FiberBuilt (to replace an old driving range mat, generously given to me by a friend who owns a range). Very happy with the investment in a good mat that will last a long time.
            Curious did you buy recently ? They seem to be out of stock for the 4x5

Comment

The 4'x5' on their website is being discontinued. I got a new style 4'x5' mat from Fiberbuilt recently and love it.

Like this, but without the extra ball section on the end - https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collectio...-mat-4-x-7-gs2

Comment

• Monovision
                Monovision commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, they have the 4x5 (self-assembled with the 3 foot hitting strip, and it requires more assembly than the "commercial" type 4x5 which is more expensive and has a 4 foot hitting strip) back in stock for 499. Website doesn't show it yet, but you can call them.

Just adding in case it's helpful for you.

• Jard
                Jard commented
                Editing a comment
                This is what I bought: https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collectio...em-nylon-grass

Is anyone selling any of their old mats? I'm strapped on budget but need a mat and impact screen

Comment

Received the Fiberbuilt 9'x4' Studio Mat and finally got to use it. Love the way the stance area feels, just a nice cushy feel like a soft fairway. It's a big kit, showing up in 3 separate boxes. Had to unbox and let the rubber mats sit out in the garage for a few days to allow the off gas to occur.
                Finally able to put my old DIY truestrike mat out to pasture!

Comment

• frackh
                  frackh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Putting surface isn't ideal. I've used a 1'x1' section of the FB hitting turf previously as well, it's not much different. Slow putt will kinda bounce around, faster putt will go straighter. It's not the worst thing, but I'll take the trade off to eliminate pains in my elbow and wrist (previous mat).
                  I'll probably try the Guerin Rife roll board at some point if the bounce gets too annoying or if Skytrak have trouble detecting the putt.
                  Last edited by frackh; 04-09-2019, 07:50 PM.

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The straight putting patch will address the FB putting issue.

• Ports
                  Ports commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It doesn't help you putting game either. I guess that's where Custom Design Golf Position Track slider gizmo comes in. Move the launch monitor to the putting surface. That will get annoying at some point too I'm sure tho. I have a gc2 and I don't think the FOV is big enough to putt on the stance mat

Thinking about replacing my CCE as well. Just too much penalty in my opinion. In my setup now, I have the CCE dropped into a raised carpet and it's 100% flush. Anyone know the exact height of the Fiberbuilt? I'd like to cut into the CCE and drop the FB hitting strip in if that's a possibility.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20190414_154010.jpg
Views:	2115
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	200629

Comment

I have my CCE mat in front of my fiberbuilt. Here is a pic.

Comment

Chiming in in case someone finds this thread in the future. Had been using a CCE 5x3 for 2 years. While I loved the fact that the CCE forced me to prioritize quality contact over everything else, I wanted to protect my joints better. Just got the 4x5 fiberbuilt (https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collectio...erformance-mat , which the website currently incorrectly labels as sold out) with the 3 foot hitting strip. Very glad I did. I can definitely tell when I hit it fat (different sound, as well as feel, for which I need to pay a little more attention now), it just isn't jarring on the clubhead.

I use the fiberbuilt durable tee and place the red skytrak dot just on my stance side of the tee. I place the ball just nearer still to me, just closer than the red dot, and now I don't have to move the mat at all. The mat is much more stable for movement, and the stance portion (even with the styrofoam inserts that are part of the 5x4 performance mat) is more realistic that the overly squishy CCE. I will plan to get some green felt to simply lay across the hitting surface bristles for putting, though, so that the ball actually rolls.

Even if you're trying to be budget conscious as I was at the beginning, I'd suggest at least a home-made fiberbuilt hitting strip, and I'm glad I paid up for the 499 mat.

Comment

Am I the only one that feels FB mats are severely punishing on fat shots? Granted, I’ve never used any other brand but definitely feel like fat shots out on the course aren’t as punishing as the FB mat.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                      Wizard of Coz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ive never had a fat shot on the course not be punishing. It's like a penalty stroke. I will take thin over heavy everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

• kalcormier
                      kalcormier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thin to win!!!
                  Working...
                  X