TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Currently using CCE but I am looking into getting either a Truestrike or a fiberbuilt. Looking for pros and cons of both from people who actually used both. I like my CCE but can be a little rough on the elbow with my swing path.

Any advice that you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I agree, rather thin than fat.

Although still punishing on the course, just feels like more punishing on the FB. Probably just in my head. Lol

Comment

I actually think the Fiberbuilt is too easy to hit off of. Every lie is way too perfect.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
        Wizard of Coz commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you get an imperfect lie on a mat? My cce and fiberbuilt have perfect lies.

• abenjami
        abenjami commented
        Editing a comment
        Think of it like this. Would you rather hit off a nice fluffy piece of grass or a perfectly flat cart path?

Does FB not sell the 1x4 panel everyone is talking about? Would be much cheaper I assume since I already have a CCE mat that I will just end up standing on... I only see the 1x3 and that price tag seems steep for 3 panels.
      -KillaCale8

Comment

• abenjami
        abenjami commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to call to order the 1x4 it's not sold through the website. I also recently bought one and it was about $250 including shipping.

• moadhia
        moadhia commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, the price was raised a month or so ago. If they quote you $250 for 4x1, let us know.

• calebm1001
        calebm1001 commented
        Editing a comment
        No $250 quote - $349 for 1x4.

I pulled the trigger on the 5x4 and JR from CCE was nice enough to accept my return of the CCE.
        QUESTION- What do people do with putting on the 4x5 version of FB? I hate that it only comes with a 1x3 strip so the ball falls into this weird corner area... kind of kills the experience of putting to my screen.

Replaced CCE with Fiberbuilt. Bought a 5X5 CCE mat from Costco about 3 months ago. After hitting off it for a while, my back and right elbow hurt so much I almost stop playing. Bought Fiberbuilt's 4x5 directly from Fiberbuilt a few weeks ago and returned the CCE to Costco. Fiberbuilt uses taller "grass" and is much easier (on the body) to hit off of. However, the CCE is made, if you hit the ball even a little bit fat, it really grabs the club and both hurts your body and unrealistically takes a ton of yardage away. I suppose the CCE is fine for a driving range for people only hitting off it about once per week, but if you plan to hit a lot on your home simulator, save your body and get the Fiberbuilt. My back is healed but my right elbow is still damaged.

The Fiberbuilt does sit the ball up higher than you would typically see on grass. I found I was hitting a little behind the ball and going quite a ways under the ball- thereby hitting the ball with the top of my irons- above the sweet spot. Obviously that's a flaw in my swing but I may not have known I was doing it without using foot spray to see where i was hitting the ball (I wasn't sure why my distance was down a little).

Because the "grass" fibers are so long, you can't really rest your irons down behind the ball as much as you do on grass- it sinks in more than is normal. Same thing for putting- you can't quite fully rest your putter. also putting is slow like some others have said, but I don't find it much different than putting off CCE was and it works fine with my skytrak.

I use the blue birdie tees on the mat. They work fine; a bit unstable, but no big deal. It comes with a plastic tee that fits through the hole in the bottom and is adjustable. I used it yesterday when I was solely working on practicing drives and it worked great. I don't use it for TGC play though because I use a skytrak and I haven't figured out yet if it will read a spot for driving and a spot further away for irons. Plus my son in law usually plays with me and we prefer different height tees- not worth the hassle of adjusting the plastic tee up and down for every tee shot.

Also happy with my choice of the 4x5; saw no need to spend extra for the bigger one and still don't - you are only hitting off a 1' section anyway and the 5 feet long is plenty long enough for driver and stance. I set up my skytrak off of the hitting mat and actually have it on a couple pieces of subway sized tile to raise it up a bit.

So, a couple small negatives for the fiberbuilt, but if you are going to hit hundreds of balls per week on a home simulator, I don't know of a better option for a mat. Definitely wish I would have bought it in the first place.

Comment

For those that purchased the 4x7 or the 4x5, did you get the panels with or without the tee holes? I had previously purchased two panels, one without and one with the adjustable tee. I worry that when using the gc2, the camera sometimes misreads when I am hitting an iron but the tee is still in place.
        Or is there only one 1x4 panel option with the tee holes already cut into it?
        is there a tee that sits below the surface so that you are not constantly hitting the rubber?

Comment

Either buy 1.5 inch rubber tee holder or cut the ones you have to sit below the fiberbuilt surface. I have the 4x7 and the fiberbuilt panel has 4 tee holes favored to one side in a straight line.

Comment

• Ericft
            Ericft commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you ask for the 4 tee hole version or did it just come that way without any other option? Are you using it, and if not does it affect play or the aesthetic of the mat with 4 unused holes?

No I didn't ask it just came with the 4 tee holes and there was no option to not get them. Yes, I use the second tee hole from the front and no it does not effect play (I dont use the tee holder and tee combo that came with the mat I use a tee holder that the tee is removed after each shot). When teeing the ball I place ball on tee and skytrak red dot is about 1/2 inch in front of tee. When hitting off turf I place the ball on the fiberbuilt behind the tee hole about 2 inches and skytrak reads fine.
          Last edited by Trickle007; 06-03-2019, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Trickle007, would you please be more specific on ball, dot and tee postition

Comment

• Trickle007
              Trickle007 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will take a few pictures of how I place the ball. Pictures say a thousand words

Looks like I've already commented here about my FB. Still hate it. lol. Garage Golf described it best, like hitting out of a fluffy lie in the rough.

Will be getting a Truestrike at some point.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
              Wizard of Coz commented
              Editing a comment
              How much you want for that fluffy lie in the rough? Johnny you have lost your mind.

• Baller
              Baller commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm just reading this thread now... Haha, you are totally right about the fluffy rough! I sold my FB because I couldn't handle that. I LOVE my TS. At least the hitting part of it. And whoever started this crap about the CCE mat being good was a great salesman. I couldn't use that for long. Total garbage. I've tried almost every mat out there and I've has the TS the longest and am very happy with it.

I bought a Truestrike a few months ago for my indoor sim and really like it. So far I haven’t had any indentation issues some others have reported.

Comment

I have a true strike mat. The only thing that has worn out after 2 years is the strike surface top. Gel pad shows no signs of wear. Replacement surface is under $100.

Comment

• Baller
                Baller commented
                Editing a comment
                Rotating it every once in a while helps.

LORO46 Thanks for the info. How much use on average of the Truestrike mat would you estimate?

Comment

I would say min of at least 500 shots a week for the last 2 years . Could last longer but i like to hit down in my wedges and irons sometimes...to see if I can get the ball to stop. I have no injuries either after getting shoulder surgery from a CCE mat. The divot is caused by the grass fibers wearing out and not the gel.

Comment

Is it possible to get a truestrike hitting strip without the annoying logo bits on the end? Thats what put me off to be honest. How do you putt over them?

Comment

I know what you mean, I hate the logos. You can pop them off and then run some turf over the ends. check out some of my playthrough video and you can see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                    X