TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueStrike or Fiberbuilt

Currently using CCE but I am looking into getting either a Truestrike or a fiberbuilt. Looking for pros and cons of both from people who actually used both. I like my CCE but can be a little rough on the elbow with my swing path.

Any advice that you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to give an update. I have recently sold my fiberbuilt mat. While I was using my fiberbuilt through the winter (2019) I loved it and I was shooting the lowest sim rounds of my life. I was having a blast playing sim golf and with the addition of the fiberbuilt I was consistently shooting under par. I truly felt my game was improving and expectations were high for real golf when the weather broke. So April of 2019 arrives and I finally get to play some outdoor golf and it was a disaster. I could not hit a flush shot off the fairway, every fairway shot was super chunky. But if I hit out of the rough I could crush the ball. Bottom line is in 6 weeks time i watched my HC go from 10 to 19.

I kept plugging away on the sim practicing several times a week and my sim results where always good but real life golf just kept getting worse. I finally got to the point were I was considering quitting the game all together. Then I sat back and asked myself what has changed over the last year that is causing you to not be able to hit fairway lies. The only thing that came to mind was the fiberbuilt mat, so I went back to my CCE mat and started plugging away trying to find my old swing, I spent the 6 weeks grinding away on my CCE. At first it was horrific as I was getting the same results from the CCE as I was on the real golf course but over time my swing adjusted to were I was once again flushing my irons off of tight lies. I battled back and was able to get my HC to mid 13's by the end of the season.

I am what you would call a "digger" when it comes to hitting tight lies, I take fairly large divots. My swing path did not translate well on the fiberbuilt. The fiberbuilt is so "fluffy" it altered my swing path to hit way under the ball but still produced awesome sim results. This did not translate well on the real golf course for me. It has taken me nearly a year to get my game back and it is still not where I would like it to be. So my recommendation is if you are a "digger" with your irons Fiberbuilt may not be the right mat for you. I would think fiberbuilt is best suited for those who are "pickers".

Comment

• GullLakeMi
      GullLakeMi commented
      Editing a comment
      I find Quattro mat to be at least 1/3 more forgiving on body, but no difference in strike or ball flight. I was shocked how well it translated to outside. I flush more irons/fairway woods than ever.

If your a digger cce is going to be real hard on your body and equipment. After the strike it is so very resistant. Far more resistant than taking a divot in michigan anyway. I think a picker is more likely to survive cce injury. I understand your point on the tightness of the lie though and you need to be more precise on cce.
    I hit so many balls injury is inevitable but I hold up better with fiberbuilt than cce.

Comment

Wizard of Coz CCE don't bother me.

Comment

Your lucky. It was even messing my back up and i never had back issues before 48 yrs old. Ive found a great use for my cce strips. 2 of them in a line up to screen. I roll putts on them to the screen pain free.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 02-03-2020, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I’d say you’re playing with fire hitting a lot of balls off of CCE.... been there done that. Now 2 years into an elbow injury i wish i has never seen CCE. Its an injury that lingers for a long time.

if you don’t like Fiberbuilt ( i have one) , go with Divot Action or even the Quattro mat .

i have all of the above.... basically anything but CCE to save your joints .

my 2 cents ...

Comment

Thanks for the advice Hacksalot but I been using the Cce for long time now and am happy with it. CCE is what translates best to the real thing for me.

Comment

Each to there own, but in this case i completely agree with Wizard of Coz . We need to think of our bodies in the long term here i believe, we want to play until at least Wizard's age and maybe even beyond! Otherwise we may need more boost to us in the future.

Comment

• Celeras
                Celeras commented
                Editing a comment
                If it's a matter of pain I don't think there's any question. But at the same time, if pain isn't an issue then there's no denying what Fiberbuilt is: super forgiving on fat shots and not the best for practicing actual golf.

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                Fat shots don't go anywhere on fiberbuilt. You get the penalty without the strain on soft tissue.

• Dax
                Dax commented
                Editing a comment
                Celeras you have obviously never hit off a FB mat, as fat shots are definitely penalized and not just by a little. I have issues with FB as well, but if you don’t hit down on it to reach the hard plastic bottom, then it seems fine.

I will continue to use my CCE, if I do go to a new mat it will be a truestrike. The reason I have not pulled the trigger on a truestrike is the fact I cant use real tees. All I know at this point fiberbuilt is not for me.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                Young grasshopper you will see the light some day.

i Agree 100% on the ball striking comment regarding.Fiberbuilt . it doesn’t translate to the real world swing .... basically you’re not activating the bounce of your irons .

the Quattro seems like a really good option

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                Fiberbuilt won't let bounce save you for sure.

I just set up my fiberbuilt. I don’t even have a screen set up yet but laying my club on it feels odd. The bristles make it feel like I’m laying my club down on top of a broom. I think it will take some getting used to.

Comment

I have fiberbuilt studio matt and do have trouble finding the bottom and controlling strike, I want to try true strike but wonder if anyone has tried swapping the hitting section from a fiberbuit to true strike or other gel type?

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                  Wizard of Coz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have trouble striking a ball off a tee on a par3?
                  I haven't hit off true strike. The fiberbuilt hasn't caused any negative impact on my outdoor game.

I Don't have any outside issues with fiber built that have came into my game. I just don't like the feel going through the mat, there is no real bottom and sometimes I end up actually going all the way down to the base. I play off of a two handicap, and I'm a good ball striker, I actually feel like my iron play so far this year in the three or four rounds has been solid and swinging all winter is a big help even just to keep the golf muscles loose. I know that no matt is ideal, but there is a place I used to practice it had a hitting strip that felt like very soft foam or gel, the place has since gone out of business and I have not been able to find something similar. It did not hurt or provide resistance like traditional mats, but gave a little bit more ground contact feedback than you get from fiber built

Comment

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Was it foam/gel you were hitting off at the place that went out of business? Or were there any turf strands on top of the foam/gel? It almost sounds like a Divot Action, have a look online, they have their own website. There are others up here who have made their own too, but I believe even with the divot action there is still turf on top of the foam/gel?

• Wizard of Coz
                  Wizard of Coz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suppose if you get steep you would bottom out. You have to go pretty deep though.

• 968Cab
                  968Cab commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DivotAction is turf covered plexi supported by foam “bars” at at each end crosswise, and 5 spring clips in the strip field of play. It is not completely underlaid with foam.

And as for the next post...the DivAct fairway strip is not fuzzy or bushy at all. I have mine installed next to a Fiberbuilt stance mat, and it’s as tight or tighter than the FB stance. The mid-cut and rough inserts are deeper turf.
                  Last edited by 968Cab; 04-02-2021, 07:53 PM.

The place had the look of turf but it wasn't as bushy as divot action. It looked like a cce or traditional range matt and was a small insert between the stance matt's similar to fiberbuilt academy matt, but it felt almost mushy
                ​​​​​​There is no where near me that has true strike to try, or divot action for that matter. I practice sometimes at a trackman place that has an insert that basically feels like cce but looks like divot action, but It feels to hard, like regular turf strip of cce type matt. All the outside ranges either have regular matt's or 5 star zoysia which feels pretty nice but the ball sits way up high And it's easy to hit huge flyers, basically 1/2" of fiberbuilt on top of cce type matt
                Last edited by Njgolfer; 04-01-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X