Cups for indoor green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cups for indoor green

I am building a little putting area to go along with my sim. My problem is that I don't have enough height for a cup. I build up 1 1/2" above existing floor (1x4 on its flat and 3/4" plywood) then my putting turf. I can't drill into the floor so I'm trying to figure out the best option for a couple of putting cups. Is there any options for 1 1/2" other than Starball cups or birdie ball cups. If not then which one of these two is preferred from any experience. Thanks for any opinions

What about some PVC couplings? You could cut them to the height you want and buy the diameter you want. You could go with a 4" pvc coupler, it would just be a 1/4" smaller than a normal golf hole. I believe the OD is 4.5".
    Last edited by wbond; 02-26-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• longstix
      longstix commented
      Editing a comment
      Your right I could probably do that just spend so much on this sim set up that I just want a actual putting cup with a little flag! lol. I have a feeling in the end I will be doing what your suggesting

Is there some reason you can't build your platform higher so real cups would fit?

I am building one right now myself using real cups. I'm using 2x6's for the outer frame, turned up on their short sides is 5.5 inches high. Framing the interior with 2x4's + 3/4 plywood gives a height of 4.25 inches. Standard cups are 6 inches tall but lots of places sell ones that are 4 inches tall.

Comment

• longstix
      longstix commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya my ceiling is only 104" from the floor so I really don't have any extra space to lose. I can comfortably swing with the 1 1/2' added height but don't want to risk any higher. Also it is a dual purpose play area for my kids so I want as little lip as possible for transition between basement carpet and putting surface.

• abenjami
      abenjami commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah ok. I didn't realize you would also be swinging from the putting green...

• longstix
      longstix commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya I’ve got a fiberbuilt strip coming to inset into the middle as the strike mat. Hope it all turns out well.

Here is what its looking like in its infancy. I will be putting a fringe border around the outer edges. 16' x 24'
    Attached Files

Comment

I used the following and cut them in half.

Here is final result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.JPG
Views:	1843
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	190022

Comment

• longstix
        longstix commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there anymore room to cut more off the bottoms? I'd be scratching to get anymore than 1 1/2"

• gene438
        gene438 commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked last night and there is now way to get down to 1 1/2" with the cups I used. I do have a thought. If you cut the cups to fit 1 1/2", you will cut the bottom off and basically have a cylinder.....Now say you put a piece of leftover turf on the bottom and just use the cylinder....I might look pretty decent and I'm not sure anyone would notice.....just an idea.....

• longstix
        longstix commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a good idea to try. I ordered some cups so I’ll get them and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

Where did you buy the turf from. Looks great

Comment

• longstix
        longstix commented
        Editing a comment
        EZ Grass. Talk to Todd or Derrick

• JRachner
        JRachner commented
        Editing a comment
        Have a contact for EZ Grass? Googled and couldn’t find one

Originally posted by longstix View Post
      I am building a little putting area to go along with my sim. My problem is that I don't have enough height for a cup. I build up 1 1/2" above existing floor (1x4 on its flat and 3/4" plywood) then my putting turf. I can't drill into the floor so I'm trying to figure out the best option for a couple of putting cups. Is there any options for 1 1/2" other than Starball cups or birdie ball cups. If not then which one of these two is preferred from any experience. Thanks for any opinions
      Did you ever finish the fringe around the edges? Any pics? I am going to try to achieve the same thing with my build when I start and want to make sure I am fully prepared.

Comment

• longstix
        longstix commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll add some pics for you

I kinda have the same problem but a bit worse, my high for my cup is only 1 inch and can't drill down on tiles (thanks to wife). do you think i can cut those to about 3/4 inch and still work out?

Comment

• longstix
        longstix commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry kind of been offline for awhile. You could cut the cup down to 3/4 but all it would be is a ring. If you were doing that I would order the deep cups and you could get 2 or 3 rings out of one cup. That being said you should be able to find some sort of pipe that diameter that you could cut int 3/4” pieces.

Here is pics of my finished turf
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by longstix View Post
        Here is pics of my finished turf
        Looks incredible! You married the 2 turf types together really well! The curved fringe is fantastic. Did you just glue the turf to the plywood or did you use staples?

Comment

• longstix
          longstix commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not that hard to do. I’d be happy to explain how I did it to you if you need some help.

• TheDon07
          TheDon07 commented
          Editing a comment
          longstix I would be interested to know what cups you ended up using and what glue you used for the fringe?

• MSUGOGRN
          MSUGOGRN commented
          Editing a comment
          Not longstix but I will add my $0.02 just in case longstix doesn't quickly reply. I didn't end up gluing the turf but I would have to presume that liquid nails would work really well. Also note that longstix didn't use glue for the fringe...only for the turf. Staples were used for the fringe.

For the cups, I used the below. They are $15 for 2 now but were $13 for 2 when I purchased. Since my hitting area is not as high, I used a circular saw to cut off an inch off the bottom. Still worked great.

cups looks great . I have about 2.25 inches to put down some holes for putting on my surface. Where did you buy these cups from? thanks

Comment

Working...
        X