Fiberbuilt Options - Traditional vs Performance 4’x5’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberbuilt Options - Traditional vs Performance 4’x5’

Good morning everyone. Happy US Open Day.

I currently have a cheapo mat in my garage (4’x5’ Emerald Par off Amazon...pretty horrible) that I’m looking to upgrade. I’m considering three options:

1) 1’x4’ Fiberbuilt strip ($300, per FB sales person yesterday) with current cheapo as a stance mat...would use plywood etc. to level stance mat with Fiberbuilt and tie together with a wood frame probably

2) Fiberbuilt Performance 4’x5’ setup, rubber frame and EPS pods...whatever that means ($500) https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collectio...erformance-mat

3) Fiberbuilt Traditional 4’x5’ setup, solid rubber foundation ($750) https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collectio...em-nylon-grass

Any reason to consider options 2 or 3 over option 1? Would it be worth the extra cost to have a full FB system? If so, main difference between Options 2 and 3 to me is the base (and you get an extra foot of hitting strip...small bonus). Is the full rubber base worth the extra $250?

If it matters, this is for a garage setup, so would slide the mat 10’ or so out of the way so I can park a car.

Appreciate any insights you all may have.

I bought the FB Traditional because I was worried that the FB Performance would come apart when trying to slide it. The solid rubber base is really nice and stable. I have no regrets spending the extra money.

Comment

I'm assuming the EPS pods are the styrofoam squares which fit into the rubber frame. If so, there is nothing holds those EPS pods in place.

Comment

• grant2145
        grant2145 commented
        Editing a comment
        The dense styrofoam fits snuggly in the rubber pods which connect together with zip ties. It is very sturdy and if I ever need to move the mat it is pretty easy to do so by myself. My old full rubber mat would require 2 people to move.

Originally posted by johnnybogey View Post
      I'm assuming the EPS pods are the styrofoam squares which fit into the rubber frame. If so, there is nothing holds those EPS pods in place.
      Grant, any issues with the performance mat moving while hitting on it? I'm on a concrete garage floor and have to adjust my cheapo mat after every 5 or so hits (excessive, I know). Wondering if that would be an advantage of the full rubber version over the version with the styrofoam squares...or do they both stay pretty well in place (on concrete).

Comment

• JackedUpSwing
        JackedUpSwing commented
        Editing a comment
        Double-sided carpet tape works great on concrete floors. Its a super simple solution too.

• grant2145
        grant2145 commented
        Editing a comment
        No issues with it moving at all. There is plenty of rubber in contact with the floor to keep it from shifting.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Does anyone have any insights as to if there is a significant difference in turf impact feel when hitting Fiberbuilt on concrete vs as part of the rubber base system?

Comment

The hitting turf fibers are fairly long so unless your swings are grossly inadequate (i.e. digging over an inch of divot every time), you shouldn't notice any difference.

Comment

I had a similar question regarding options 2 and 3. Do you think option 2 is ok for outdoors? I worry about the durability of styrofoam pods as a support structure.

Comment

Check their site again, I think all of their mats now
            comes with a solid rubber base.

Comment

Do NOT get the option with the EPS pods. It sucks IMO. I bought one and sent it back. Even zip-tied together like some people suggest wasn't making it much better for me.

The rubber base and mat are heavy. If this is going to stay in one place, then go for it. But if you need to move this on a regular basis because it's in a garage or something, then build your own stance mat with lighter materials. I built one with a cheap mat from amazon that I glued to a piece of 1/8" plywood over some foam exercise mats. Worked like a charm and easy to move.

Comment

Working...
            X