Quattro vs. True Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quattro vs. True Strike

Looking for opinions from those of you who have hit off both the Quattro (or 3D mat from China) and a True Strike (original or DIY).

I currently have a Fiberbuilt strip and want to make a change.

Thanks...

I added a gel pad to the direct from China 3D mat and it is the best of both worlds. I cut the foam base out of the 3D mat while leaving the 3D textile and knitted turf. I really like the 3D mat on its own but this adds just a touch more cushion without feeling soft.

This is my favorite setup. I also have a Fiberbuilt, and True Strike mat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200330_221830318.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	256190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200330_221912042.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	256191

Comment

• abenjami
      abenjami commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. What kind of tool did you use to cut out the foam? And did you use duct tape to secure the gel pad?

• justin1287
      justin1287 commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you like this as a stance mat? And what seller did you buy the 3D mat from?

I used an oscillating multi-tool, it cut out the foam fairly easy. I also had to cut into the rubber base the 3D mat is interested in so the gel section is even with the foam base of the mat. That's not duct tape on the gel section, it is just the foam sheet the gel pad came with. I left it on otherwise it will collect a lot of dirt and debris.
    Last edited by grant2145; 03-31-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• abenjami
      abenjami commented
      Editing a comment
      I did this mod to my Quattro mat today. I cut out the foam layer like you did but the gel pad didn't sit flush, pretty much gave me an upright lie. Went back to work and delicately cut out the 3D textile. Sort of a pain in the rear to do but now the gel sits nice and flush. Thought I would let you know in case the upright lie bothers you.

• grant2145
      grant2145 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine didn't sit flush either so I cut out a section of the rubber base. It sits flush and I can re-insert the rubber cutout if I want to use a insert.

Not to turn this into a True Strike DIY thread but it sure seems a lot easier to cut OSB board under the mat vs. carve out the foam. I have little skill but I think I could cut OSB board. Perfectly carve out foam without ruining the mat . . . I am pretty sure I would destroy the mat. Ha ha ha.
    So like a few of the other threads on here for your own custom Gel Mat, I went ahead and took a shot at making my own. I feel like it's the perfect combo of price/durability. In the other threads that discuss the DIY Gel Mat, they've had issues of the mat bubbling up/ripping in the hitting area, etc. I've had this combination

Comment

Originally posted by Michael M. View Post
      Not to turn this into a True Strike DIY thread but it sure seems a lot easier to cut OSB board under the mat vs. carve out the foam. I have little skill but I think I could cut OSB board. Perfectly carve out foam without ruining the mat . . . I am pretty sure I would destroy the mat. Ha ha ha.
      So like a few of the other threads on here for your own custom Gel Mat, I went ahead and took a shot at making my own. I feel like it's the perfect combo of price/durability. In the other threads that discuss the DIY Gel Mat, they've had issues of the mat bubbling up/ripping in the hitting area, etc. I've had this combination
      The foam on this mat is too dense. If you don't cut the foam out the gel pad gives you no added benefit. The DIY version uses a much thinner mat than this 3D mat.

Comment

• Michael M.
        Michael M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Re the thinner mat on the OSB method. . . you are right about that. Although I am thinking about getting the thicker "commercial" version of the mat and doing the same thing. Yes there will be less benefit but still some - my elbows still feel the concrete when I am at the range on thick mats so I figured it would help and the thick mat has less potential to become lumpy or deformed vs. thin one. Hmmm.
    Working...
    X