4k not so cheap but 4 x 1080p not so expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4k not so cheap but 4 x 1080p not so expensive

that statement actually isn't quite correct. Projectors with native 1080p resolution actually are still moderately expensive. But you can get 1200 x 800 projectors that accept 1080p input signalso for under $100 on Ebay. If your willing to wait a month for shipment from China, you can get one new for $40. I'm certainly not gonna testify to the quality of picture on all these little projectors coming out of Asia with specs that seem to look legit. I'll just say this, I bought an infocus x3 DLP projector for like $700 a couple years ago. At the time I thought it was a pretty nice projector. It's fairly bright with 1700 lumens(works fine with the lights on). Then I recently bought one of these new mini projectors for $90 on Ebay. It blows my infocus out of the water with 7000 lumens of brightness and looks crystal clear at 1920 x 1080.
    So, to get back to the premise of the post:
    Has anyone tried using 4 projectors strategically spaced out two die by side units over two side by side units such that the edge of each projection image is at the start of the next. It would definitely require more power than I have available. I just thought it was an interesting concept. Making yourself a 4k projection for a few hundred dollars instead of a couple grand.

I want to see pics of the performance of this 90 dollar eBay projector.

Comment

There are so many problems with this crazy idea, I don't know where to start. In addition to needing four monitor output from your PC, you could never get all four lined up properly without overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        that statement actually isn't quite correct. Projectors with native 1080p resolution actually are still moderately expensive. But you can get 1200 x 800 projectors that accept 1080p input signalso for under $100 on Ebay. If your willing to wait a month for shipment from China, you can get one new for $40. I'm certainly not gonna testify to the quality of picture on all these little projectors coming out of Asia with specs that seem to look legit. I'll just say this, I bought an infocus x3 DLP projector for like $700 a couple years ago. At the time I thought it was a pretty nice projector. It's fairly bright with 1700 lumens(works fine with the lights on). Then I recently bought one of these new mini projectors for $90 on Ebay. It blows my infocus out of the water with 7000 lumens of brightness and looks crystal clear at 1920 x 1080.
        So, to get back to the premise of the post:
        Has anyone tried using 4 projectors strategically spaced out two die by side units over two side by side units such that the edge of each projection image is at the start of the next. It would definitely require more power than I have available. I just thought it was an interesting concept. Making yourself a 4k projection for a few hundred dollars instead of a couple grand.
        Can you post a link to this cheapo projector? I would be interested in trying one. Is it still working well for you?

Comment

It's pixel size that makes 4K. It's not the quantity. 4 Big dots lined up won't make 4 small dots. You would get a brighter image is about all if you could get them lined up and adjusted for the angle shifts.

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
            Dan McWhirter commented
            Editing a comment
            Set up three ten foot long screens for a 30 foot long curved or angled surround screen. But, 1080p pixels across 30 feet would look large from eight feet away.

I just google the question about the main difference between 1080P and 4k.

This is the answer that kept coming back:

"It is, however, easy to feel confused between 1080P and 4K. ... As their names imply, 4K UHD has a considerably higher resolution than 1080P HD video.4K resolution is exactly 3840 x 2160 pixels, whilst1080P consists of 1920 x 1080 pixels."

Comment

The easy way to think of it is like this. For every 1080p pixel - you can put in 4 4K pixels. My projector emulates 4K but I can see the difference on the projected image up close.

Another way to think of it is you get twice as many horizontal pixels. So, again take the bottom or top half of the 1080p pixel and split it in two. Do the same vertically. You have a square divided 4 ways. The pixel size is smaller which gives you higher resolution and more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasegun

Can you post a link to this cheapo projector? I would be interested in trying one. Is it still working well for you?
              I second this one. Would love to give one of these a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlincon View Post
                The easy way to think of it is like this. For every 1080p pixel - you can put in 4 4K pixels. My projector emulates 4K but I can see the difference on the projected image up close.

Another way to think of it is you get twice as many horizontal pixels. So, again take the bottom or top half of the 1080p pixel and split it in two. Do the same vertically. You have a square divided 4 ways. The pixel size is smaller which gives you higher resolution and more detail.
                Im going to purchase a 4K upshift as you say emulated 4k projector. What resolution are setting it at in software with that and what kind of results are you getting?
                ​​​​​​
                Question : Do you think I could hit 8 or 9 feet away on a 16x10 screen and would I be able to appreciate the higher resolution there by doing so? Or would closer be counterproductive as you know, the trees and stuff you see the imperfections actually more so and for the worse?

Comment

Mine is 3840x2160. It is significantly better than 1080p. I have my hitting area further back than most, 15ft, but it extends the life of the screen considerably among other things. As far as viewing it's going to be better than 1080p no matter what. I haven't look, are there short throw 4K? Your shadow on the screen would be the biggest challenge.

Comment

I never knew how far I stood from the screen can affect its lifespan that's interesting. That's what I'm reviewing now the shadow issue I know if I have the projector at 18 feet a 6-foot person is starting to cast a shadow around 10 feet. But if I move my Country Club elite mat that I think I'm going to be getting and it goes from 8 to 13 feet I think I can put the projector at 15 or 16 ft. What software are you rocking with that resolution?

Comment

I'm using FSX2018 now but I used it with TGC too. They are the only two with 4K so far. Truegolfs new E6 Connect has it but you basically need to be on their hardware at this point to use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X