Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Triplebogeysrbetter (NET) and @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 Spring Tour - US Open !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 SPRING TOUR - Travelers Championship with 2 rounds at Yuma Desert Golf Club : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...s-championship
See more
See less

16:9 or 4:3. With screen 12 x 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16:9 or 4:3. With screen 12 x 9

I have a screen 12 x 9 and would like to be able to play golf with the option of watching movies as well. I am unsure if I am better off getting a projector with native 4:3 or 16:9.

The 4:3 seems to be a better fit for golf and my screen - but if I want to watch widescreen movies, I will get the bars on the top and bottom. The 4:3 is also less resolution than the 16:9

If I go with the 16:9 then there will be around 18” of blank space on top or bottom when playing golf, or if I switch to 4:3 when playing golf, I will have thick bars left and right.

My guess is I will probably be using the simulator 90% of the time and movies only occasionally.

has anyone else had this dilemma? Would love to hear people’s opinion on what they think is best.

i have a Optoma GT1080 my hitting screen is a similar dimension to yours, to maximise the immersion i run TGC in 1600x1200 which is a 4:3 ratio and a resolution that my projector supports natively. i've got a pull down movie screen hung in front of my golf screen which is a 16:9 widescreen, the projector is on a rail which moves closer to the screen when i want to watch movies.

i'd always recommend filling as much of the hitting screen as possible, 4:3 filling the entire screen is better than 16:9 with blank space at the top and bottom. FYI 1600x1200 is 1.92 million pixels, 1080p is 2.07 million pixels so not a massive increase in quality.

Comment

• wbond
      wbond commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I will have to give this a try and see what I like. I use a monitor in conjunction with this so wonder what it'll look like on that in this setting. My monitor is 16x9 format.

• Whiskeyjack
      Whiskeyjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Good information. This is the projector I was looking at to buy. I think I'll try it out on the floor and see which looks the best and then hang it from the ceiling.

• Golfbeat
      Golfbeat commented
      Editing a comment
      I am planning to buy the Optoma GT1080 Darbee. My screen will be 13' by 9'. At what distance do you have the projector from the screen and at what height? Also, what rail are you using? Thanks!

I have two projectors, one short throw for golf, and another for cable and movies. Might not be the most economical solution, but it works well and I don't need to change resolutions or move a projector to go from golf to movies.

Comment

I started last year with Optishot 2 and a 42” monitor. I upgraded to SkyTrak, then bought JNPG. I have now decided to upgrade further with a hitting screen and projector. After loads of research, and advice, I will be going for a 1080p projector but adjusted to a 4:3 aspect ratio - to fill the screen. The limiting factor for me buying a projector was the throw ratio - there is an optimal placement in my set-up. I have just opted for the BenQ TH671ST. I should have it up and running in a couple of weeks, after replacing my garage door to create further space and increase security.

i hope this helps others. In the meantime, if anyone has the same projector, I would be pleased to hear from your

Comment

I have the same Benq but only for a couple of weeks. I like it so far a projecting on a 8 x 14 screen. Looks very nice with HD. Screen no complaints yet

Comment

Working...
        X