Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Jard (NET) and @ecarl97 & @Randy (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 SUMMER TOUR - TGC Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 SUMMER TOUR - Tour Championship with 3 rounds at East Lake Simulator #1 : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...r-championship
See more
See less

Projector Question 12x9 screen 4.3 or 16.9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector Question 12x9 screen 4.3 or 16.9

Looking at the hundreds of options for projectors I see the optima1080 is very popular; I am looking to project solely for the use of my golf sim. Do people get the HD option (16.9) on a 12x9 screen because they want to switch to movies in HD quality? If i am simply going to use this for a golf sim and want to fill the screen as much as possible is a 3000 lumens + 4.3 ration projector going to give me what I need? Conversely, if i was to go that route would I max out at 1024x768 image? Is there any other advantages i need to consider to upgrade to a HD projector for a 12x9 screen?

As always thank you for your time and consideration.

Alan

Mine 2 cents. I have a 4:3 ratio screen, but purchased a 16:9 projector for watching movies and playing video games.

iPad only does 4:3 and the golfing is only in 4:3 unless I use my extra laptop for the practice range.

I would feel its better to go with the 16:9. Some if not all projectors do 16:9 and 4:3.

For what’s it’s worth I purchased the Epson HC 1060 a couple of weeks ago. It’s been amazing!

Comment

Any discernible difference between these two I am hitting from 9.5ft from the screen:

https://www.amazon.ca/Epson-Cinema-b...s=epson+hc1060

https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-MW632ST-L...+DLP+Projector

Looking to pull the trigger very shortly. Any advice comments would be great!

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
        Editing a comment
        The BenQ will be better if you have a shorter throw distance. As far as quality the Epson is better. It features 3 LCD chips and the Ben has DLP. Disclaimer I am not a AV guy by any means.

My throw distance is 11 ft. The image is exactly what I was wanting. I was able to buy the Epson for 599 from Best Buy.

• triplebogeysrbetter
        Editing a comment
        Also you check out the image distance via this website.
        http://www.carlofet.com/projector-ce...alculator-pro/

I have the MW632ST, it's a great projector! I use the 16:10, which is the main reason I bought this projector. The only thing I don't like is the resolution, it's not 1080. My next one will be.

Comment

thank you this calculator was great; says the benq would be 11ft 4 inches from my screen and I am 9ft 5 inches from the screen; do you think there would be any shadow issues; where are you guys in relation to your screen/hitting? I also have a 14ft high ceiling so do you know if it tilts or will I have to use a extender to bring it down?

The Epson looks like a good deal but the projector calcultor does not look like it will not fit the 12ft width i need. How big is your screen triple?
        Last edited by Smudge7204; 04-11-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
          Editing a comment
          Mine is 10x8. At 11 feet the 16:9 fill the screen width wise and it’s about 5’ 5’” height. The 4:3 is fairly big as well. For me atleast. I am not that picky, so I went with the Epson being that is was LCD and true 1080p.

Also, it has horz and vert keystone correction. My projector is to the side of me. Was able to correct the picture nice. No shadows issues for me.

• triplebogeysrbetter
          Editing a comment
          Here is a write from the projector people about the BENQ.

https://www.projectorpeople.com/BenQ...rojector/41814

Thank you very much, the info you provided was great; i ended up biting the bullet and going with the optima 1080darbee seems to work for most. I ordered the par2pro sq beta screen so pretty excited to get everything set-up. Just using the r-motion at the moment to make sure I want to fully immerse in this before i get a skytrak/GC2. I will post a few photos once i get everything set-up. Thanks again for the help its greatly appreciated'

Comment

• Whiskeyjack
          Whiskeyjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Been following this thread, I'm thinking of getting the 1080 darbee as well. Let us know how it works for you.

Smudge, is the 1080 Darbee working for you for both 4:3 and 16:9?

Comment

Tagged for interest. I'm another one researching what to buy.

Is wraparound like this set up by 'about golf' possible with a projector under $3k ?

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
            Dan McWhirter commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the answer to your question is "yes." You need three projectors, say Optima 1080p, at $700 each. You might be able to split your picture into three contiguous monitors (three projectors) with perfect matching of the edges. However, the picture shown also looks panoramic which is likely an "about golf" exclusive feature.

HookShank Thanks bro, for harshing my mellow.... now I need to sell my left n*t to get a wrap around screen lol!!

Smudge7204 Smudge, how is the GT1080Darbee working for you? I bought it too, but haven't set up yet

Comment

Yes, I have the screen/projector set-up now; I thought i was going to go 4.3 but with the ability to switch it to 16.9 with a push of a button I am finding I prefer 16.9 with a little bleed through onto the side curtains. I dont see the yardage hit very easily and I miss a little of the trees but i prefer it way more than the 4.3 ratio. I am approx 8ft from the screen. The wraparound would be insane to have maybe version 2.0 lol!

Comment

• Whiskeyjack
              Whiskeyjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Any pics you can post?
          Working...
          X