Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @graham camm (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - Sony Open in Hawaii !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - The American Express playing 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer)thursday - 6487y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...erican-express
See more
See less

Best Projector for under $1k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Projector for under $1k

Looking for a projector that will best fill up a 10x10 screen. i know it wont cover the bottom and that's fine. Will use for golf sim and movies.

Currently thinking GT1080HDR ($800) or EH412ST ($900).

Appreciate your advice.

Any update

Comment

For the the throw ratio these have they are the best. I also like the Optoma 1080darbee or the optoma EH200st

Comment

this could be an option
        https://store.gunghogolf.com/BenQ-TH...hed-p255287242

Comment

I have nothing to compare to but have really liked the benqth671st

Comment

Originally posted by steve51523 View Post
            Looking for a projector that will best fill up a 10x10 screen. i know it wont cover the bottom and that's fine. Will use for golf sim and movies.

Currently thinking GT1080HDR ($800) or EH412ST ($900).

Appreciate your advice.
            If you combine the BenQ TH671ST ($599, linked above by JNC10) with a PC and a Nvidia GTX or RTX graphics card, you can fill that 10x10 screen with a square image and it will look amazing. If you need a 16:9 aspect ratio for movies, you can of course do that, but you're really limiting the amount of vertical image you'll have for golf (image height will be only 5.6 ft).
            - Ron at GungHoGolf.com - visit my site for instructional articles and reviews

Comment

Originally posted by GungHoGolf View Post

If you combine the BenQ TH671ST ($599, linked above by JNC10) with a PC and a Nvidia GTX or RTX graphics card, you can fill that 10x10 screen with a square image and it will look amazing. If you need a 16:9 aspect ratio for movies, you can of course do that, but you're really limiting the amount of vertical image you'll have for golf (image height will be only 5.6 ft).
              Hey GungHoGolf - thanks for the post, it taught me something I wasn't aware of. I'm in the market for a projector as well and have a PC with a GTX1070 graphics card. Is it something unique about this BenQ that supports a truly square image, or is it actually just 4:3? More detail would be appreciated please as this is the first I've heard of the possibility of filling a square screen (mine is planned to be 8x8). If it's possible to fill it, I'd love to know how. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by myrison View Post

Hey GungHoGolf - thanks for the post, it taught me something I wasn't aware of. I'm in the market for a projector as well and have a PC with a GTX1070 graphics card. Is it something unique about this BenQ that supports a truly square image, or is it actually just 4:3? More detail would be appreciated please as this is the first I've heard of the possibility of filling a square screen (mine is planned to be 8x8). If it's possible to fill it, I'd love to know how. Thanks!
                I'm not sure how many other projectors are able to go square, but the TH671ST definitely can with an Nvidia card. You just leave the projector set on native/auto resolution, then create a custom resolution on the PC in the Nvidia control panel, using 1080 pixels for the height of the image, and 1080 pixels also for the width (or some other width if you're not quite square).

Comment

• myrison
                  myrison commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's awesome, thanks for the info! I'll definitely be checking it out.

My screen is 12'x9', so a touch bigger, any issue going with this projector that I be aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by gmbtempe View Post

My screen is 12'x9', so a touch bigger, any issue going with this projector that I be aware of?
                  No, the TH671ST works great at 12x9' (4:3 aspect ratio) - just make a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel of 1,440x1080 pixels (or the built-in 1600x1200 usually works ok, too, although the projector can only display 1080 vertical pixels).

Comment

Has anyone used the Viewsonic PX706HD? Seems like a capable projector for $500 brand new and the short throw should fit most spaces...also see some great deals on BenQ MX819ST

Comment

Is there a short throw projector out there which is HD and can throw from under 6 feet and fill a 12 x 9 screen?

Comment

I bought the Optima 1080HDR as it was 'on sale' for about 860 shipped. I also have a 10x10 impact screen. I'm running an AMD RX580 8GB on the pc that is driving it (yeah, bucking the trend on the 1060 - I always use Nvidia for my gaming PC, but I got the 580 at a steal and will know soon enough how it runs TCG19). Pushed it to 1600x1200 on the resolution for a 4x3 picture. I only have about a foot at the top and bottom of the screen that is dark. I didn't even think about trying to run a resolution that is actually square, but I might try that. If it makes the picture look off (desktop icons, browser, ect) then I'll leave it at 4x3 as I'm only about 7' from the screen and it's pretty immersive as it is.

Comment

No, the TH671ST works great at 12x9' (4:3 aspect ratio) - just make a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel of 1,440x1080 pixels (or the built-in 1600x1200 usually works ok, too, although the projector can only display 1080 vertical pixels).
                          Great thanks. I bought one from your site. I need to get a mount and was wondering about the Crimson Universal ceiling mount you recommend, my ceiling is 9' 4" and my screen is 9' high, I have built the cage that is on your site, which was pretty dang easy by the way, Projector Central says -3" on the mount, I would assume that should work out just about perfect with my setup going with a flush mount?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by gmbtempe View Post

Great thanks. I bought one from your site. I need to get a mount and was wondering about the Crimson Universal ceiling mount you recommend, my ceiling is 9' 4" and my screen is 9' high, I have built the cage that is on your site, which was pretty dang easy by the way, Projector Central says -3" on the mount, I would assume that should work out just about perfect with my setup going with a flush mount?

Thanks,
                            Yes, either the Crimson AV JR or JR3 would work perfect for you. The JR is a good budget option, but if you can swing it, the JR3 will give you thumbscrew fine adjustments for pitch, roll, and yaw that makes perfect positioning easy.

Comment

Working...
                            X