Disappointed in projector image, any advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pggolf
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2017
    • 3

    #1

    Disappointed in projector image, any advice?

    My setup:

    Optoma GT1090HDR (ceiling mount short throw, roughly 7' from screen using 4:3 aspect ratio)
    Brand new Acer PC with GTX1070
    AmazonBasics Nylon-Braided 4K, 18Gbps HDMI to HDMI Cable, 25 Feet
    Screen Par2pro SqW custom Impact screen (9.5' by 7.5')
    Will be running fsx2020

    I'm generally disappointed with the image quality. It's functional but certainly not what I expected. Overall the image is faded and the text in the corners tends to be out of focus. The pc is sending 1980x1080 at 60Hz and I have minimal image adjustments. I also tried using my cable box hdmi output and was still underwhelmed. Are my expectations too high? I could return the projector and try a different short throw projector or try a projector from the back right corner wall mounted or from a computer cart. Any advice? Thanks!

  • Dax
    Ultimate Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 1797

    #2
    From your comments, I suspect you have too much light in your room that is hitting your screen. Also your screen is likely not flat. Have you tried projecting a similiar image in a darker room with a light coloured wall to see what it may look like there? I am focusing on your comments re washed out and out of focus at corners.

    Comment

    • 3on3putt
      Champion Member
      • Mar 2019
      • 1315

      #3
      How is the image quality when streaming a live sport or playing a youtube video? Similar to what you're seeing with the sim software?

      Comment

      • Dax
        Ultimate Member
        • Oct 2014
        • 1797

        #4
        I would also check the image setting that your projector is in. If it is in Cinema mode, then this would be the lowest setting and if you have selected eco mode, then this would also lower the image brightness (note I am just using generic terms for what these are usually called your might call it something different). I would try Standard first and also Dynamic. I tend to avoid Dynamic as I don’t like how greens look in this mode.

        Comment

        • pggolf
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2017
          • 3

          #5
          Thanks for the feedback. I definitely think the screen is pulled a bit away from the projector at the bottom, probably causing the focus issue. I'll work on that.

          There is some natural light in the room. Do most use their setups completely in the dark with only light from the projector?

          I'll mess with the settings, I think it currently might be set to cinema. There certainly is a big drop-off watching live sports or YouTube vs my LED tv.

          I did clean the lens (lens cleaner and duster), after when I turned the projector on it still looks like there's dust on the lens.

          Comment


          • gojoholo
            gojoholo commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you should try to block the natural light. Add a spotlight if the projector light isn't enough for you. Have you played at night? That should give you an idea of the difference it would make.
        • jhaislip86
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2020
          • 22

          #6
          Have the exact same projector with the same complaint. I have an Epson 1060 next to it that absolutely blows it out of the water with brightness and color quality at only 3100 lumens. Sending back the Optoma tomorrow. I'd say the Optoma just appears gray and washed.

          Comment


          • Mn8421
            Mn8421 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am returning my Optoma for the exacted same reason. Played with all the settings and still very washed out muted colors even on a Carl’s premium screen. Pretty disappointed with the gt1080hdr.
        • jhaislip86
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2020
          • 22

          #7
          You can guess which is which.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            There is a big difference though when projecting onto an impact screen vs a wall. I wonder if you Switch them what it would look like

          • 3on3putt
            3on3putt commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly what wbond said. You will always lose some quality when projecting onto an impact screen. Switch them around and see if there is still a big difference. Impact screen to wall is far from apples to apples.
        • Sixmudd
          Advanced Member
          • Nov 2020
          • 327

          #8
          I have an optoma e412st and also underwhelmed by the picture quality. Can’t get it to focus for the life of me. I have an epson as well that I use for my theater, and you’re a absolutely correct - it blows the optoma out of the water.

          Comment


          • steve51523
            steve51523 commented
            Editing a comment
            i have the eh412st and i feel like it is in 720p all the time. not crisp or clear at all.
        • Jason Penner
          Senior Member
          • May 2019
          • 109

          #9
          Couple things,
          1st you said your screen is 4x3 but you have a 16x9 resolution coming from your pc, change it to 1440x1080 that will be the highest 4x3 setting.
          2nd I had 1080hdr in beginning and returned after comparing with benq671. Even thou the 1080hdr was rated as 4000l the benq at 3200l is brighter.
          I sent the 1080hdr back to costco
          Also check picture image mode ( as someone else mentioned) try vivid or User and mess with contrast/brightness

          Comment

          • jhaislip86
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2020
            • 22

            #10
            Fiddled with every setting imaginable, it just doesn't have the POP that a 3LCD chip gives you. Considering trying an Ultra Short throw Epson LS100.

            Comment


            • Solstice72
              Solstice72 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the LS100 in my family room, it does gun lumens but where would you place that box?
          • Dax
            Ultimate Member
            • Oct 2014
            • 1797

            #11
            Did you compare the image quality of the Epson on your screen including the size of the image? The screen will not be as bright as your wall. Also have you checked which setting the projector is on?

            Comment

            • pwade3
              Advanced Member
              • Oct 2015
              • 407

              #12
              I have the GT1080HDR which is the little brother to yours. I love mine. You can’t have lots of ambient light though. I have just a 3 light on the tee area and the player and not much else. I do have about 10 windows in the garage but this picture was taken during the evening. I have black curtains on the side and ceiling to ensure light is not robbed from the screen. I only wish the 1090 was out when I bought mine. The picture on the beach course is with lots of lights on in the background.
              I would play with the settings. I have it on bright and game setting. Not much else is changed.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21486.jpg
Views:	2692
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	300297 Click image for larger version

Name:	8D83B14D-C905-4ABF-A41E-2C634E3602B6.jpeg
Views:	2517
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	300299
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pwade3; 11-30-2020, 05:37 AM.

              Comment

              • jhaislip86
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2020
                • 22

                #13
                It still looks like your 1080 has better color. Believe me, I have no ambient light and I've messed will ALL the settings. Just doesn't have it for me I guess.

                Comment

                • Sixmudd
                  Advanced Member
                  • Nov 2020
                  • 327

                  #14
                  A quick follow up: I now believe it’s my impact screen that is creating the fuzzy picture. I projected an image on my theater screen as a test, and the picture was much clearer on there vs the image on the impact screen.

                  Comment


                  • pwade3
                    pwade3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where is your screen from? Some screens have a projection side only (such as mine).
                • Sixmudd
                  Advanced Member
                  • Nov 2020
                  • 327

                  #15
                  I got it from shop indoor golf. I wonder if I have it hung backwards lol Hope not

                  Comment

                  Working...