Projector choice - BenQ MW632ST or BenQ TH671ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector choice - BenQ MW632ST or BenQ TH671ST

Looking for some advice before I make the final purchase of my home sim set-up - the projector.
    The 2 options in the running are the BenQ MW632ST or the BenQ TH671ST.

My SkyTrack is going in the garage with the following dimensions:
    - ceiling height 8’ 6”

- hitting enclosure 9’ 6 wide and 7’ 10” (not ideal and using 4:3 aspect I’ll end up with blank space top and bottom of the screen. Plus as I’m using an iPad Air 2 to process skytrack data to projector, I won’t have the option to play about with PC resolution to make the image fit my screen size)

- projector to be ceiling mounted around 8’ from the screen (above my hitting mat). Looking for a very tight ceiling mount due to space constraint but I will be ok with tilting it as I’ll mount to a ceiling beam so will have space above in the roof void.

Just to add I’m planning on using a firestick with the projector (in the garage) as well during the summer months.

What will be the best projector to go for from my 2 shortlisted ones? My hitting enclosure has 3’ 3” ‘walls’ and ‘ceiling’ so wondering if one projector would be better than another with vertical offset to make sure the front edge of the enclosure ‘ceiling’ doesn’t get in the way of the picture?

Thanks

I've had both...671 would be and is my choice until 4k gets a little closer to a reasonable price.

They are both good projectors with similar brightness but I do like the higher resolution of the 671.

Comment

Originally posted by StanMI View Post
      I've had both...671 would be and is my choice until 4k gets a little closer to a reasonable price.

They are both good projectors with similar brightness but I do like the higher resolution of the 671.
      Good advice here. The difference in resolution is substantial.
      - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

8'6" is tight, especially if thats from the floor and you lose another little bit from the hitting mat. You can definitely do it though but I recommend building a shelf for your projector to sit on upside down (while making sure to not block vents) and suspending that shelf from the ceiling with screw-hooks (into the ceiling) and then eye-bolts hanging from those. This way you can tighten the bolts until the top of the projector is actually touching the ceiling and maximizing your clearance. If you use only 3 attachment points its easy to use these bolts to adjust the level and tilt of the projector too.

Second point: I'm surprised you've narrowed your projector selection to the Benq models since you need a fairly substantial vertical offset. Sounds like you want the top of the image to be at least 3'3" from the ceiling so you'd save yourself some keystone by going with the Optoma model. GT1080HDR is very comparable to the Benq. Maybe you're concerned it will be too in the way of high chip shots. Another benefit of mounting the projector upside down on a suspended shelf is the shelf provides protection.

FYI I have an Optoma mounted the way I've described. My ceiling is 8'10" and I hit 7.5' from the screen.

Comment

• Cruisin1966
          Cruisin1966 commented
          Editing a comment
          GolfLikeItsaPandemic do you have pictures of your setup? Which Optoma projector do you have I am in a similar situation. Celiing in the garage is 8' 11". How far is the projector from the screen, 6' perhaps?

I've got photos. They're a bit embarrassing for me because I'm actually a hobbyist woodworker but I'm slapping this golf simulator together for now and will worry about it being pretty in a year or two. Got a toddler already and a newborn coming next month.

Projector is the Optoma GT1080HDR. I have it 7.5 ft from the screen (directly overhead) which gives me an 8.5ft image. I opted for this projector* vs the BenqTH671ST out of fear I'd have shadow problems. I was lucky enough to find my projector on the Costco website (3 month return policy) so in a couple weeks I'm going to position it where the Benq would go (10.5') and do a shadow test (with an oversized image projecting partly onto my ceiling but the bottom of the image located accurately).

*I would have preferred the Benq for its lesser vertical offset, saving me from doing any keystone.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-01-18 at 7.48.04 PM (2).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	312858Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-01-18 at 7.48.04 PM (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	312859
        Last edited by GolfLikeItsaPandemic; 01-19-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Will
          Will commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be a nice idea for a bash plate suspended under a ceiling mounted projector. I haven't hit our projector, or come close. But, covid has kept visitors away and that precious lens is just sitting exposed up there. In our setup, I'd move the wood slab forward until the image out of the lens barely clears it.

• Cruisin1966
          Cruisin1966 commented
          Editing a comment
          GolfLikeItsaPandemic Looks good. Are you running in 16:0 or 4:3? I'll end up running mine at 6' from screen, floor mounted as I feel better hitting offset from the center line (projector placement). I just don't think I could swing freely with it above me. I'm planning on hitting from 8' away so the BenQ distance from screen would have also been potentially in the way of a swing and perhaps casting shadows

• wbond
          wbond commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job, it allows you to adjust the height perfectly with the threaded eyelet/nuts and allows you to move the projector fore and aft and side to side a little. Also gives some built in protection for skied shots.

Originally posted by GolfLikeItsaPandemic View Post
        I was lucky enough to find my projector on the Costco website (3 month return policy) so in a couple weeks I'm going to position it where the Benq would go (10.5') and do a shadow test (with an oversized image projecting partly onto my ceiling but the bottom of the image located accurately).
        You can use graph paper (or https://draw.io) to do a shadow test, like this one for a "standard" BenQ TH671ST setup (9' tall image, 9' ball to screen, 11' lens to screen):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.21.14 AM.png
Views:	1639
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	312953

This illuminates one of the advantages of the TH671ST - it has a "longer" short throw (plus zoom for even more flexibility) that results in a safer distance back from screen, while still avoiding shadows. I've listed more good characteristics of it at https://store.gunghogolf.com/BenQ-TH...NEW-p265749740.

- Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

Yes I've done the calculations (its nice to find a real world use for all that trigonometry we learned in school) and drawn it out. The tools you mention are useful for checking whether you're well in the clear or not but I am right on the cusp of having a shadow or not, so I don't think anything is better than doing a real-world test for my situation.

Comment

Cruisin1966 if you're only floor mounting out of fear of hitting the projector but its directly above you, take some practice swings and look up. Directly overhead is actually ideal. If you really want to feel good about it, tape a cardboard box up there to simulate the projector and swing away. I think you'll find you don't ever come close. I'd be more concerned about balls bouncing back into the projector when its sitting there on the floor.

Per you commented question: My ratio is 4:3 because my room is only 12' wide. Luckily I'm able to hit driver *just* at the centerline of the room. Though I've heard several people mention that hitting offset from center is fine.

Comment

• Cruisin1966
              Cruisin1966 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair comments. Since I've purchased the GT1080HDR from costco.ca I'm obligated to run it when the time comes. I thought about 4:3, but think I prefer 16:9, and that "should" allow me to hang the screen just below the garage door tracks (hang 6" down from the 107" ceiling). That puts the projector at 6' from the screen, and with me desiring to hit from 8', I can't hang it from the ceiling as I have to be offset because of the available width. I was also warned by another party about having the projector floor mounted so close to the screen with balls bouncing around near it. Ultimately something just above my head would have been ideal, but not many projectors meet that 8' throw distance.

• GolfLikeItsaPandemic
              GolfLikeItsaPandemic commented
              Editing a comment
              Whats your room width?
          Working...
          X