Optoma GT1090HDR and comparable alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optoma GT1090HDR and comparable alternatives

I am drawn to the Optoma GT1090HDR mainly because it is a laser projector at a relatively decent price point, and therefore I don’t need to replace expensive lamps every so often. I understand it’s limitations re short throw with no zoom, takes 4K input but only outputs 1080p etc - are there other comparable laser projectors that don’t blow out on cost but offer similar lumens, contrast ratios etc? I am aware of projector central and am looking there but seeking input from experiences of others as I’m not technically astute on all matters related to projectors.

My raw room dims are roughly 17’ x 21’ with almost 11’ ceiling height and am aiming for 16’x9’ screen size, and open to eye xo/QED/full swing kit (if it lives up to the hype in coming months!). Mainly intending using room for sim but will double up for movies/theatre mode every so often.

What other projectors would you throw into this mix? Thanks!

I have an InFocus that is comparable and I think is a bit more under the radar as the Optomas and BenQs seem to get most of the attention around here. It's not laser, but 5,000 hours of lamp life would take many years to burn through (essentially 5,000 rounds of sim golf). It would go 8 feet away for your setup and the vertical offset would work well for your ceilings because you could mount it high. Also quite a bit cheaper than the Optoma. I paid $900 brand new.

Comment

The Optoma GT1080HDR is a good choice for your room size. You can display a 96" H x 170"W image from about 7' back. Keep in mind that you need to install the projector lens about 15" above the top of the screen.

Comment

I finished my golf sim room last year and went with the Optoma GT1090HDR. Great projector but I failed to do my research on what would work best for my screen size. Consequently I am now selling the GT1090HDR if you are interested. A 16:10 aspect ratio projector is what I should have bought for my screen size.

Comment

• Scano13
          Scano13 commented
          Editing a comment
          How much are you asking for the projector?

• tstraus89
          tstraus89 commented
          Editing a comment
          $1,000 or best offer

• Canadianbomber
          Canadianbomber commented
          Editing a comment
          Where you located?

I have since come across this one though it’s not short throw but you get 4K and a lot of other features https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/product...tors/PX748-4K#

Supposedly being released soon. Will see how that compares to GT1090HDR once my room construction is completed.

Comment

I went ahead with a Sony VPL-FHZ75 projector with custom VPLL-3007 lens. This combo, while expensive, provided the ideal throw ratio (0.6), aspect ratio (16:10), color light output lumens (6500), and resolution (1920 x 1200) for my setup. Imaging tech in the Sony is a 3 chip LCD compared to a 1 chip DSP. Beast of a projector...once the custom lens arrives I will get to work on the ceiling mount.
          Last edited by tstraus89; 04-01-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• COgolfengineer
            COgolfengineer commented
            Editing a comment
            tstraus89 where did you order this from and did you have to buy the additional lens or did the place you buy it from just swap it out for you?

• tstraus89
            tstraus89 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was lucky to find the projector on eBay at a great price. The custom, short throw lens was ordered through Full Compass. The projector w/custom lens is up and running in my golf sim room. Very pleased with the set up.

• FACE
            FACE commented
            Editing a comment
            When you say expensive how does it compare in cost to others? If I have viewed it right it is about 8K for both projector and lens?
            Last edited by FACE; 08-18-2021, 09:39 PM.

I had a 1080 and now own a 1090. No comparison. 1090 is superior in every way. I swear on my kids life it outputs 4K by upsacling. When I watch YouTube in 4K at 60fps it’s is absolutely crystal clear and sharp well beyond 1080p. I changed the output to the projector to 3840 x 2160 pixels as it was an option once I split my computer monitor and the projector to displays 1 and 2 and it got substantially sharper in FSX.

Comment

• Uk101jkt
            Uk101jkt commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I have the 1080 now. Whats your screen size?

Screen sizer is 15 x 8.5 carls premium. The brightness alone is far superior

Comment

I just bought an Optoma GT1090HDR and I cannot get uniform focus at all. I am using a bit of keystone, but I don’t think it should be so blurry in places.

Look at how the upper corners are in focus (trust me the phone camera makes it all look a bit blurry), but top center is so-so. Middle is good. Everything at the bottom is blurry. If I adjust focus for that, the top goes out of focus.

Do I have a defective projector?

Click image for larger version  Name:	94FFC848-5813-4C0A-AE6F-6EA6A51EB7ED.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	388323
            Attached Files

Comment

• wbond
              wbond commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't think so, it's just the way optoma seems to be. I've got the 1080 version and I use no keystone and the farther from the center it gets, the more the text gets blurry. I've seen this on some other forums as well with the optoma's.

• Godfather
              Godfather commented
              Editing a comment
              wbond okay thanks for the reply. My GT1080Darbee didn’t seem to have this issue.
          Working...
          X