Mevo+ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo+ Questions

Hey all, have read through quite a few posts and done some searches but just figured I'd share my situation and get some feedback.

I have an unfinished basement with 9 ft ceilings that I've been hitting into a net for a few months and would like to add a launch monitor/sim to assist in improving my game, especially in the harsh winter months. Having the option to bring the sim to the garage or outside when its warmer brought me to looking at Rapsodo, Garmin and Mevo/Mevo+.

I recently picked up the Rapsodo MLM as the price was nice and I saw it had some ability to track shot shape, but appears for net use its only really launch direction. It has been pretty accurate at grabbing the data points it collects, though I'm thinking about returning the Rapsodo MLM and moving up to the Mevo+ so I can capture some spin data and hopefully get a better idea of shot shape.
    • I have 8.5ft ball to net, I think this would put me into short indoor mode, would this be sufficient for getting accurate shot shape for wedges and irons? I can also do 5 wood/3 wood, but not a must. Driver is too close to the ceiling for comfort
    • I'm not really interested in TGC or the full sim experience, is there a simple game type app for ball striking, distance control, etc.? Is that where FS Skills comes in?
    • Any lessons learned for getting things setup, such as lighting or backdrop behind the net, etc.?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Oldn0rse_; 10-13-2021, 07:45 PM.

Originally posted by Oldn0rse_ View Post
    Hey all, have read through quite a few posts and done some searches but just figured I'd share my situation and get some feedback.

I have an unfinished basement with 9 ft ceilings that I've been hitting into a net for a few months and would like to add a launch monitor/sim to assist in improving my game, especially in the harsh winter months. Having the option to bring the sim to the garage or outside when its warmer brought me to looking at Rapsodo, Garmin and Mevo/Mevo+.

I recently picked up the Rapsodo MLM as the price was nice and I saw it had some ability to track shot shape, but appears for net use its only really launch direction. It has been pretty accurate at grabbing the data points it collects, though I'm thinking about returning the Rapsodo MLM and moving up to the Mevo+ so I can capture some spin data and hopefully get a better idea of shot shape.
    • I have 8.5ft ball to net, I think this would put me into short indoor mode, would this be sufficient for getting accurate shot shape for wedges and irons? I can also do 5 wood/3 wood, but not a must. Driver is too close to the ceiling for comfort
    • I'm not really interested in TGC or the full sim experience, is there a simple game type app for ball striking, distance control, etc.? Is that where FS Skills comes in?
    • Any lessons learned for getting things setup, such as lighting or backdrop behind the net, etc.?
    Thanks!
    8.5 ft ball to net is enough distance to get good shot shape for wedges and irons, and lower-speed woods. Need 9-10 ft typically for good spin reads with driver if 150+ mph ball speed.

The iOS version of E6 Connect that comes with the Mevo+ has a very nice range and 5 courses, and a couple of games. You can also use FS Golf or FS Skills on iOS or Android for basic range purposes. So far, no included PC software, so you'd need E6 Connect on PC for $300 or $600/yr for that.

Lighting is irrelevant as long as it's not fluorescent. Any static metal or other objects in the room typically no problem. Only issues are moving objects like fans, fridges, etc which lead to radar interference.
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

FlightScope Mevo+ officially supports minimum 15 feet of total length (7 feet unit to ball + 8 feet ball to net). So 8.5 feet ball to net is fine. If you have more than 7 feet from ball to unit, then shorten that for more flight. Then just use the metallic sticker dot on the ball and it should have no issues reading spin majority of the time.

As mentioned above, Mevo+ comes with FS Golf and FS Skills for free that will let you practice with all the data Mevo+ can provide. If you want more entertainment & simplicity with great practice features, then Awesome Golf is another great FlightScope-exclusive software option, and is much cheaper than TGC or E6.

As with all radar units, just make sure it's a noise-less environment. As in no metal objects within its view of the radar that fires towards the net, no motors/fans, no flurescent/pwm lights. Other than that, the Mevo+ can work even in pitch dark.

Comment

I echo what others said. You’ll be fine up until close to driver with ~8’ of ball flight. My 3 wood seems to do ok at ~8’ at about 150 ball speed (and it normally spins in the mid 3k range as it reads) but my driver is clearly off even when I move back to 10’. My ball speed on a good strike is about 160 so not high speed but I simply can’t get less than 3500 spin. My AoA on TRackman is -1 to +3 usually hovering around zero so I’m not the lowest spin person but only my worst shots on Trackman are over 3k spin whereas I can’t get Mevo+ down to reasonable.

I will note at 25’ ball flight next to the Trackman my Mevo+ is spot on so it is a short flight issue.

Comment

Gresh12 I saw a YouTube video from Mr. Short Game where he "reviews" the Mevo+ and said sometimes the lower level radar launch monitors have issues with different driver heads. He wasn't using metallic dots on the balls, so he was getting purely estimated spin numbers, but it got me thinking maybe there is something in the material of the driver head causing interference and high spin readings.

Comment

• Gresh12
            Gresh12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm I haven’t seen that one. I always use dots but I’ve only tried two different heads (and they aren’t that different). I have a Epic Flash Sub Zero and a Triple Diamond Speed LS and both have the same issue.

I should probably take it back to my club fitters bay and start at 8’ from his screen and work back until I get good reads as I think about it. I can’t actually get further at home than about 10’ but conceptually it would be nice to see where it gets better.

Thanks all! I think this is the right move!

Comment

Working...
          X