Titleist RCT ball testing with Mevo Plus driver only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titleist RCT ball testing with Mevo Plus driver only

I know it s not official with Mevo plus but anybody with higher ball speeds like 160+ test these and have good results.

I haven’t got my hands on one yet but I was talking to Flightscope support and mentioned them in passing. He said from what he’s seen there is really good results from these balls already and testing may lead to some firmware tweaks but he indicated this ball was showing better than just the dot with short flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gresh12 View Post
      I haven’t got my hands on one yet but I was talking to Flightscope support and mentioned them in passing. He said from what he’s seen there is really good results from these balls already and testing may lead to some firmware tweaks but he indicated this ball was showing better than just the dot with short flight.
      I can only second that. I've tested with a guy with 185 MPH ball speed and they work really, really well.
      --
      Erik J. Barzeski
      PGA, LSW, 5SK, GE

Comment

I have seen comments but no video really want to see some real stuff with high ball speed drivers indoors..I think irons spin, pitching, and putting will be a no brainer should help for sure.

Comment

Got my hands on some RCTs today. Did limited testing at 8’ and 10’ ball flight with driver. Buddy was hitting as his ball speed is higher than mine. 165-170 ball speed and hit about 10 shots from each distance.

At 8’ there was still spin issues but I’m wondering if a firmware update will be needed. About 80% of shots got “measured” spin but a bunch were 4K spin. It actually looked like it was doubling the spin on those shots based on results.

At 10’ it measured spin 100% of the time and they were all low to mid 2k spin.

I’ll do more testing but it’s looking like 8’ may still be tight unless they can do something with firmware.

Comment

• Jes70
            Jes70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good news for us 8 feet plus with driver and higher driver ball speeds.thanks

• Dax
            Dax commented
            Editing a comment
            These measurements are for TM, but with the new ball they recommend 8.8 feet of ball flight at least to get captured spin numbers. Thus, maybe try adding a little more distance to see if you can get similar results that you got for 10 feet of flight?

• Gresh12
            Gresh12 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll try 9’ when I can. I hadn’t seen the TM minimum figure I chose 8’ as it’s sort of where I like to be in my setup for wedges. I have more room to move back but then I risk going over my net if I move back too much.

I think it's helping situations where the RCT ball helps the radar "overcome" interference that the end-user may or may not know is present. So, maybe guys with 150-170mph ball speed with interference in their setup are now resolved.

Based on Henri Johnson's reaction and comments during the Instagram presentation, there simply is no substitute for having a proper amount of flight distance for radar-based LMs to measure spin. I do think the balls are helping, but his reaction suggests 8 feet of flight is simply not enough distance for some speeds, even with a room free of interference.

Comment

• Jes70
            Jes70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok thanks I will be at 11 foot and my ball speed rarely goes past 160 plus will be using new RCT balls.

Originally posted by iacas View Post

I can only second that. I've tested with a guy with 185 MPH ball speed and they work really, really well.
          May I ask what flight distance you have in your setup?

Comment

• iacas
            iacas commented
            Editing a comment
            More than 15'. I'm not sure of the exact number, but it may be more than 20'.

Even still, with dots I got a lot of italic numbers. With the RCT, none.

I never have problems with metal stickers and driver (or any club). I bought a dozen RCT V1x to try. My driver club speed is low 90s I have 11 feet of flight and seven feet from MEVO+ to ball. I set up in short indoor mode. I have zero interference.

Results: Wedges and irons were great. I had one 7-iron read double spin (over 10000) when I expected 5300-5600.

Driver was WORSE with the RCT balls than dots.
          Out of 30 shots, I had ten clearly "bad" spin reads (over 4000). With dots, I may get one of 10 estimated and never a "double spin".

Also, for five other driver swings with the RCT balls, I set the unit up at "indoor" versus "short indoor." BAD MOVE at 11 feet of flight. All five were estimated using RCT balls and all read double spin.

My conclusions for guys with driver speed in low 90s:
          - The RCT has greatly improved accuracy for irons and wedges (I think we are seeing this is pretty much across all golfers);
          - RCT is not ready for lower driver speeds (mid 90s and below);
          - If you have less than 12' of flight to use short indoor mode.

Again, I have zero problems hitting driver using dots in short indoor mode anyway. I would encourage anyone who is having problems with driver and RCT to check to ensure you are in short indoor mode. If you have more than 12' of flight and having issues with driver, try short indoor mode anyway.

Comment

Just got my bare bones set up at my new house and tested the RCT balls with a PW, 100% awesome!

no italic spin numbers yet. When I would use dots I’d get italics about 25% of the time, these balls are rad!

Comment

• JakeGeezy
              JakeGeezy commented
              Editing a comment
              Solid. Keep us updated on other clubs. Getting mine soon.

Got mine in today.

RCT balls are the real deal for irons. Finally getting balls to bite on the green with all irons and chip shots. Driver spin is still out of whack but launch angle improved. Will take 2-3 strokes off your round easily. Overall B+ and will be getting another box. Def recommend.

I have 15.5ft of total space. Flight space of ~8ft. Ball speed 160 on average.

Comment

• Jes70
              Jes70 commented
              Editing a comment
              What kind of distance are you getting with 160 mph with wacked
              out spin. So you only have 8 foot of ball flight.

• JakeGeezy
              JakeGeezy commented
              Editing a comment
              It's almost always between 260-270. Spin is usually between 3200-4200 on m+, and usually low 2's IRL. And yes, roughly 8 feet flight time

• Jes70
              Jes70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Those sound good but right spin a little high I think that’s good stuff for 8 foot.

Thanks to Cbushack26, I was able to get 3 boxes of RCT balls shipped from US to Australia.

I've hit them with FS Golf and also played couple of rounds with TGC 2019, and I must say, I haven't had a single mis-read and spin readings are near flawless. I have 10 feet ball to net and 7 feet ball to Mevo+, and I get like 1 no-read estimate every like 50 shots if that using FS Golf. Spin reading deviation with multiple shots using the same club is much tigher than a stickered ball also.

Playing TGC 2019 with this is great. and I haven't got a single flier shot that goes 20-30 yards further than it should due to a low-spin mis-read. Usually, I get at least 1-2 shots like that in a round with my stickered balls. So this alone is awesome.

P.S. I've given up on putting with the Mevo+ and just use On Green setting on TGC 2019, so I haven't tried putting with them. Doubt it'll be any better tbh.

Comment

• bubbtubbs
              bubbtubbs commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're still not supposed to putt with them, similar to the stickered balls.

Glad you got hold of some and they're working out.

• aussiebenny
              aussiebenny commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah yeah makes sense. I'll try putting once we get fusion tracking update with normal balls.

At the end, these balls ended up costing me about $8 USD per ball (due to extra shipping costs from US) which is not cheap and is close to double the price of a normal Pro V1 here. But if each ball lasts 500+ shots each as it seems they do going by other forums and Titleist claims, and with some normal stickered balls into the mix for range sessions, then these 3 dozen balls should last me quite a while and is well worth the price for such convenience and increased accuracy/consistency IMO. Definitely cheaper than getting a new launch monitor that's for sure.

Hopefully Titleist starts selling these here in Australia!

Comment

Let me know how you do on durability. It’s been snowing here so I haven’t been able to use my simulator much (it’s outdoors). But my buddy is having durability issues in his fitting studio and says he’s lucky to get 100 shots (which is a fraction of what he gets from a normal ProV1). The balls crack faster is his findings so far. Hoping he got a bad batch as they are too expensive if durability is also worse.

Comment

• fortner28
                fortner28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been using this ball for a couple of weeks. I probably should keep count but I have played at least 300 shots on one ball and it hasn't cracked. I wasn't using ProV1's in the sim so I don't have a baseline to compare with. The other balls I have been using I was getting less than 200 shots out of so this change has been good

've been using just 2 RCT balls and it's been a week now. I've hit about ~200 shots with each ball from wedge to driver. Both range sessions and sim rounds. So far, they still look close to new unless you look really close. No mentionable scuffs to affect the shots or the impact screen. No sign of shot deterioration from the shot data. Loving them so far!

Comment

I bought a dozen RCT when they came on the market in November. Put a sleeve in play when I received them and have hit them every day for 6-7 weeks, probably 3000-4000 shots and they only blemish is the logos have worn off. NO visible damage to the dimples and NO decrease in performance. Outstanding option in my opinion.

Comment

• JakeGeezy
                  JakeGeezy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Second this. Also, go cats. You forgot '12
              Working...
              X