FSX 2018 is very good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX 2018 is very good

I got FSX 2018 yesterday. I am very new to FSX, but I can say for sure the graphics difference from FSX to FSX 2018 is huge. I was not impressed with the graphics in the old version. I even own the expensive courses, and the graphics were marginal. FSX 2018 is a huge difference in the graphics quality! I would say the included courses graphics are about as good as TGC, and the expensive courses look even better than TGC. I am extremely impressed with the graphics quality with FSX 2018. I have not spent enough time to tell you about other features added or upgraded.

• I am planning on upgrading to FSX 2018 from original software. I see a graphics card requirement of Nividia GTX 1060 (minimum) and GTX 1080 preferred. There is a big price jump from the 1060 to 1080. I will be running a projector and a monitor and might consider a camera at some point. Anyone have any advice? Is the 1060 good enough? Anyone running the software on a laptop?

Comment

• I am running a 1060 and all the latest updates run fine on it. However, you might consider the 1080 if you ever think you will switch to a 4K projector someday.

Comment

• For future use, I would suggest 1080 I run 1080ti, will eventually upgrade to 2080ti for other development reasons.

most cards come with 5-10year guarantee, if you can pickup a 2nd hand 1080 because of the release of 2080, even better!

Comment

• An alternative to consider... I haven't priced them out, but I'm running an even older generation that you might find cheaper... I use a 980ti... clocked to be about the same as a 1070 I think... can't remember 100%
          If it's cheaper for you, I can tell you that it runs great... no issues on full graphics, no delays, silky smooth... no complaints

Comment

• FSX2018 - Update alert March 14th, 2019 v6.1.0.6 , in case anyone missed it.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up. What has been changed since last “update” in February?

Comment

• Fixed the auto connect issue and allow for the ability to create a custom course from selecting holes from your courses

Comment

• Where do you find the change log? I also noticed GC Quad updated its firmware too. But again I don't see any change log on the firmwares either.

Comment

• I’m not sure where the change log is, those observations are just from my own experience with the update.. I didn’t realize there was a firmware update

Comment

• Hi is somebody able to get FSX working with two displays full screen? I set my laptop to "extend these displays". In FSX settings I have \DISPLAY2 and \DISPLAY5. When I select full screen both screens default to the primary screen. If I select one display and full screen the display is displayed on the primary screen regardless of if I have DISPLAY2 set vs. DISPLAY5 set. I don't get it. TIA.

Comment

• mmlincon
                        mmlincon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes I'm doing this and it works well once you get it figured out. Are you checking the dual screen option on the main display setting page? That's the setting that tells FSX to split the screens.

• DjPiLL
                        DjPiLL commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes. I actually work with computers for a living. First the laptop was not set to default to discreet graphics, which I corrected. I had it working but then I tried to connect some other displays and now same issue. Now I have Display2 and Display3, as far as FSX goes it doesn't make a difference what I select as the main display they both come up full screen one on top of the other on display2 which is the laptop screen. Projector screen just has my desktop background.

• mmlincon
                        mmlincon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So, I found that the windows display IDs and the FSX IDs don't always match. I had to clear mine display history out, I don't recall how, when I was trying multiple displays to get mixed resolutions which doesn't work btw. It is a little clunky but if you get them working and straightened out it works pretty good.

• I have to say this dual display settings they have is a real pain to deal with. You would think if I drag the windowed FSX over to screen 2 then select full screen it would activate full screen on that second monitor. It doesn't.

Comment

• I went out and bought a GTX 1650 video card and installed it in my HP workstation and did a fresh install of windows 10, seems to be working better on this PC. The laptop was probably underpowered and as the PP said the DISPLAY numbers were probably off or not set correctly in the OS.

Does anybody know if the GTX 1650 is sufficient for FSX? I really wanted the 1660 TI but it required 8 pin connector on the motherboard and the store didnt have the 6 pin to 8 pin adapters in stock so settled for 1650. Seems to work OK even with full graphics on. Wondering if i can get it looking better?

Comment

Working...
                        X