FSX 2018 is very good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX 2018 is very good

I got FSX 2018 yesterday. I am very new to FSX, but I can say for sure the graphics difference from FSX to FSX 2018 is huge. I was not impressed with the graphics in the old version. I even own the expensive courses, and the graphics were marginal. FSX 2018 is a huge difference in the graphics quality! I would say the included courses graphics are about as good as TGC, and the expensive courses look even better than TGC. I am extremely impressed with the graphics quality with FSX 2018. I have not spent enough time to tell you about other features added or upgraded.

I think it does, particularly some of the details of textures.

Comment

i agree that it looks better than tgc - plus I think the "game" plays more realistic on fsx than tgc. with that being said, what do some other courses look like? torrey pines is a popular one...any updates in graphics on the "old" courses?

Comment

• BWJones
        BWJones commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy, yes, the "old" courses are also upgraded with better graphics. There are currently 5 free courses that have been upgraded. They are working on upgrading other courses now.

• AshBN123
        AshBN123 commented
        Editing a comment
        The worry is whether foresight will start upping the costs for add on courses due to better graphics models. If Pebble Beach is anything to go by then that is ominous for the future. Seems like a very foresight thing to do.

I agree that the game plays much better than TGC, but I don’t think the graphics look like much of an upgrade from FSX. I’ve been playing FSX exclusively for the last 18 months despite owning TGC and ProTee too. I’d rather have reliastic play than better graphics.

Comment

i'll take some pictures tonight from the same holes on tgc and post those here and we can really compare apples to oranges way better
        however, pebble is 500$ which i just can't justify and they put a ton of time into that graphics wise and are trying to sell everything based on those courses too. will be interesting to see if they upgrade the graphics on the "cheap" courses

Comment

Tgc2 screenshot from YouTube video does it look as good as this?

Comment

• Andyman33
            Andyman33 commented
            Editing a comment
            but that's tgc2 -- and not avail for sim play with no release date

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct. But FSX 2018 apparently is using upgraded graphics so I would think they should be comparable. For the cost of FSX, it should be expected to provide top of the line graphics and gameplay

One looks like it’s hand drawn for a comic book, and the other looks like a photo.
          I’d still rather play FSX for its realism though!

Comment

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish I could play FSX on a demo or something to see how much more realistic it plays than TGC or JNPG.

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            They do demos

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            No kidding.. had no clue. I'm guessing I would need to call them

So they responded. And they didn't erase my post .lol

Comment

Originally posted by p3eps View Post
            One looks like it’s hand drawn for a comic book, and the other looks like a photo.
            I’d still rather play FSX for its realism though!
            Do you have TGC2 sim already? How is it? How is the realism not as good as FSX? I would love to get my hands on a copy.
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Burlington G&CC by mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            London Hunt Club L mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            Sunningdale GC Robinson L
            Sunningdale GC Thompson L
            Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
            Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
            The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

• Andyman33
              Andyman33 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am pretty sure no one has tgc2 sim version. Would be neat to see it and hopefully not a $500 upgrade

• p3eps
              p3eps commented
              Editing a comment
              There is no TGC2 sim, and probably will never be - as I’m sure you’re aware.
              I’m simply saying I think the graphics of TGC2 (or even TGC) are miles better than FSX2018 (in my opinion anyway)... but I’d still rather play FSX as the graphics aren’t as important to me. I've always preferred the way FSX plays over TGC, plus it supports my HMT.
              Last edited by p3eps; 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM.

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure why ProTee would say they are launching TGC2 if they aren't. I have FSX and an HMT and I prefer to USE TGC. It's all a matter of preference. I actually prefer to use the GC2 screen for HMT data but that's my preference. Post shot screens are a Pain in the asss if you want my opinion.

Is FSX 18 a free upgrade for existing FSX holders? I found it 500$. Is it worth it. I have never felt FSX was worth the money.
            Last edited by Taylor40299; 02-21-2018, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Andyman33
              Andyman33 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not free for upgrade. Which is ridiculous in my opinion. And I bet they are setting it up for yearly fees now. They have us by the balls. Or so they think

here are my screengrabs of tgc
            Attached Files

Comment

I think one would need to do a screen shot to screen shot comparative to be comparing apples to apples on what has been posted. Likely the best would be to do a YouTube comparison of the two showing the details that make one stand out to the other. However with TGC part 2 just around the corner perhaps it would be best to wait for that release.

Comment

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                TGC2 is out but not in sim forum. The courses are all ready to go. You could do a tgc2 pic though

These are from FSX not FSX2018 but from the pics I've seen I can't tell difference between the two. I tried to get a similar vantage point but there isn't a whole lot of flexibility in FSX to move around for views that I have found.

Comment

Here is one from the Red tees on 7 so you can see the bunkers, closer to TGC above image.

Comment

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is this FSX2018? Based on this pic and the TGC2 pic of this hole, I personally like the TGC image better.

• Jwheels9876
                  Jwheels9876 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, that looks pretty good IMO. Something about the other courses I've seen put me off about FSX. They look so flat and lifeless to me. I know FSX is more of a training tool for coaches and stuff but for the insane cost of it you'd think they would use top notch graphics as well. I guess graphics aren't the only thing that matters but sure is nice to have a beautiful course like you see them on tv. Makes it more immersive for me

• mmlincon
                  mmlincon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, this is just FSX

Ok.... let me ask what all these other screen shots are from? Someone even posted a picture of TGC2 from the video game version. The screenshots I am providing of FSX2018 are actually of my 9 x 10 foot screen that I would hit a real golf ball into. Are all these other pics screen grabs from a monitor, or the display card? I don’t think we are comparing apples to apples here. There are so many variables with projector brightness, resolution, screen perfomance, etc. I am very happy with the graphics and the play realism with My CG2 and FSX 2018.

With this post, I am done with this discussion. I was only trying to help the forum provide my experience. This thread seem to have morphed into something more.

Comment

• Andyman33
                  Andyman33 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bwjones I did screen grabs of the tgc game. It's not hard to do a screen grab and I highly appreciate your picture you took. But a screen grab would help a ton just like mmlincon did of the fsx Pebble Beach. Would love to see what your fsx2018 looks like with a screen grab. As you said lighting and brightness affects it so a screen grab fixes all that. Just hit the windows button and the letter g and it will likely give you a menu to take a picture or a video. The reason why we care is different we want to spend the 500 bucks or not. This would help me for sure as I like fsx as a game way better than tgc minus the tiny cup

Firstly - graphics are subjective... just like music and films. Not everyone feels the same way about one as the other... so we can only post opinions. Much the same with I feel FSX plays better than TGC. I know there are some out there that agree and many that don't.

In order to get a good comparison between FSX2018 graphics and TGC, both pictures need to be taken the same way.
                BWJones - whilst we do appreciate the photos, it's very difficult to tell what these would look like v's a TGC screenshot - unless you took it on your net the same way.
                I know if I set up FSX2018 on my screen / projector and took a photo it would look totally different to yours (different projector / lighting / screen etc).
                In an ideal world, we'd have an image from source for both that we can compare to. Taken straight from the computer as a screenshot so that there is no camera / monitor / projector or anything to influence the picture.

Foresight put a lot of emphasis into how they'd made the Pebble courses look much better. Even in standard FSX, I see a significant improvement in these over the many courses I own.
                I'd be curious to see what Teton Pines or something similar looks like in FSX2018 - to see if it has been completely remodelled graphics wise. When I watch the FSX Pebble videos on youtube v's the FSX2018 video Foresight posted, I can't really see much difference.

I'll no doubt pay the $500 upgrade fee for FSX at some point, as I like the idea of multiple monitors, and I might even add a second swing cam too. I use an HMT for practice and when I play... so FSX is my only real choice.
                I'll pay it very grudgingly though, as I was always given the impression that when I bought FSX that the updates would be free.

Comment

Working...
                X