NEW - Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW - Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor

Just received an email about this product. According to the website, it launches August 15, 2019. Price looks to be $499. Anyone seen any further info? https://rapsodo.com/product/mobile-launch-monitor

They tested it supposedly on this site against trackman4 and GCQUAD. https://leomode.home.blog/2019/07/24...ck-for-photos/

If only it calculated spin even.

Comment

I just bought one. I'll do a review and put it up against my Garmin G80. It comes in Saturday, but I'll be in LA for a Bad Religion show. When I get back I should be able to make a video. Perhaps on Sunday.

Comment

I just bought one as well. So far it’s awesome at the range. Club/ball speed and distances seem very accurate. Video play back with shot tracer is a nice touch. I’m very impressed so far. I will write up more as I do further testing.

Comment

Unfortunately my review will be delayed as I didn't realize this is an iPhone only device. That instantly adds hundreds of dollars of cost if you're an Android user. Negative marks to start. *Edit* I went ahead and got a iPad Air (with cellular data and GPS) that way I can still keep an Android phone and have the benefit of a larger screen with GPS on the course.
          Last edited by Carl Miller; 08-19-2019, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Hit some balls with the Rapsodo MLM up against my Garmin G80 launch monitor. Very short session. Driver and 3 Wood were very accurate and pretty close to the Garmin. Irons were not close at all, and I suspect that's because I readjusted the placement of the Rapsodo. For now I'm blaming myself for that. When I say way off I'm talking about 105mph club head speed on a 7 iron when I'm only in the mid 90s on a solid swing. I will get a fully fledged video this weekend as I feel like I need to get used to the device and the features to give it a proper review. I will say the direction of the ball was incredibly accurate. I'm actually shocked how accurate it is. I'm very optimistic about this unit once I can dial it in.

Here's a video from the unit of one of my drives.

Last edited by Carl Miller; 08-20-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

• triplebogeysrbetter
              triplebogeysrbetter commented
              Editing a comment
              thank you for sharing. Still debating whether to pull the trigger myself for a range unit.

More problems today. Can't get the firmware to update. I will go through the update process on my iPad and it shows 100% but after that the app closes and the new firmware isn't installed. Very odd. Also the Amber led which is supposed to indicate a charge does not turn on when the unit should be charging. However I do believe it is charging considering I used it quite a bit yesterday and it's still at 95% charge. I plugged it in last night.

Comment

Carl Miller the fw update bug will be fixed in the next release. It should be out in a day or two.

You don’t need to charge it often. Battery life is exceptionally long, however amber not showing is unusual.

Comment

I’ve been using this device for the last few weeks and have found it both accurate and super easy to use...with one big “BUT” that caused me tor send it back - it requires the iPhone to be placed on the device so that the phone’s camera can be utilized BUT when you have it in the sun (which is usually when I’m out playing), the iPhone overheats, shuts down and that’s the end of the session. You cannot use the device either without the phone OR with the phone set up elsewhere (as the Mevo allows). I’ve been in contact with Rapsodo (their email support is top notch and super quick to respond) and they are aware of the issue - to the point where they are (per support) working on some sort of shield to address this. I’m really bummed about sending it back - I just don’t feel like building a box or something else to address this one shortcoming - so with that said, I strongly recommend the product and if you can figure a way to keep the sun off the phone, its a winner.

Comment

• Rapsodo
                  Rapsodo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is indeed true. With every complex electronics there is the heat limitation. In this case, limitation comes from Apple.

Most of the cases, I could simply place my bag such that it is shadowing the MLM and the phone. This has no performance impact and solves the issue, however in some cases this is not practical.

• Carl Miller
                  Carl Miller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My suggestion to Rapsodo is to include a clip on sun canopy with the unit. It could be a very tiny shield to cover the phone. Of course this would only be useful when the user is not directly facing the sun. It could cut down on the overheating concerns

Thanks for the quick reply Rapsodo. It appears that the unit was indeed charging even without the light working. I got it back to 100% with no issues. I was able to test irons again with much better results yesterday. Placement is very important and I will highlight that in my video. Also I’m starting to suspect the Rapsodo unit is more accurate on swings that are not straight, as my Garmin can’t monitor direction. I will give this a true test on the golf course when I measure distances of every hit via GPS and walking to the ball. One feature I would like to see is a round of golf feature where you can adjust your heading and verify location on the fly. As far as I know, the only way to do that now is by entering and exiting practice mode a bunch of times. I have to say so far I’m very optimistic about this unit.

Comment

Why can't they make this indoor friendly just like SC200 or SC300 or their own product R-Motion . It should be very easy by disabling the video feature during the limited light conditions and just use the club sensor and radar for the data and ball flight on an animated screen just like R-Motion phone app which was supposed to work I've always wanted an Affordable product where you could combine the features of SC200 and R-Motion . We have to wait a little more I suppose

Comment

After 3 attempts to use the MLM on the golf course it's clear that I'm not going to get the time to do a complete video putting the MLM up against the Garmin G80. It simply takes too much time to set up both radars, wireless mics, and a camera behind them on a tripod at each shot. Also It takes additional time to go into a new practice mode session and reset my location and heading on the MLM with each shot. Instead of messing around to try and get this right on the course, I'm simply going to go back to the range for testing. I can say that the results of the shots from the course were way off from the distance the ball actually traveled. The worst one being a 5 Iron that I hit over 200 yards with the MLM saying 138 yards with 105mph club head speed. Still a lot of testing to be done before I am comfortable with giving real world numbers.

Comment

I am LOVING my MLM. Got it for Christmas and it’s a truly amazing device. I asked Rapsodo about any possibility that it could be usable indoors at some point and they responded that it could be coming in a couple months. That would be amazing!!!

Comment

• Anansi
                        Anansi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a sneaking suspicion that SkyGolf and Rapsodo are going to consolidate/integrate the devices they have on the market. They've previously offered an integration with R-Motion and Skytrak, and I'm wondering if they're planning to integrate MLM, R-Motion, and Skytrak. If they do, they'll end up with a pretty compelling multi-component launch monitor with multiple use cases, and an interesting upgrade path.

Now that’s interesting...

Comment

#27.1

Anansi commented
                        01-07-2020, 07:39 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that SkyGolf and Rapsodo are going to consolidate/integrate the devices they have on the market. They've previously offered an integration with R-Motion and Skytrak, and I'm wondering if they're planning to integrate MLM, R-Motion, and Skytrak. If they do, they'll end up with a pretty compelling multi-component launch monitor with multiple use cases, and an interesting upgrade path

Just wondering, how would this integration be helpful for Skytrak?

Comment

They could integrate the MLM specifically to capture club speed.

Comment

Working...
                          X