X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• I'm still trying to figure out the best technique for placing trees. I have a Lidar file with some classification (ground, water, high vegetation, medium vegetation, buildings). When I process it and view it in TGC, I only see the golf features, and building pads. Elevations look good. Ideally I'd like trees to show up based on the Lidar class or alternatively based on the OSM areas. What is the best way to make this work?

Is there a way to at least have markers on the generated course (like how water traps are done) so that I can accurately place trees manually in TGC? I'm currently using the manual tracing method with a google earth image as model. Is this still the best way to do this?

Comment

• ChadGolf
      ChadGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Does the "add lidar trees" checkbox not function for you?

If it doesn't you can map them in OSM and they'll import if you click "import OSM trees", but these methods are entirely separate approaches. Don't try both at the same time.

If you want me to look at your lidar trees, put your lidar into dropbox or google drive and PM me the link and I'll see what's going on.

• Originally posted by Mark72 View Post
    This tip might help another poor soul like me who has become totally obsessed with getting the OSM/Lidar import exactly accurate...

Below is a tip for fine tuning the offset adjustment when mapping in OSM using a higher quality imagery source like DigitalGlobe Premium instead of the normal Bing Aerial. Chad describes the need for this adjustment around the 1:35:00 mark in his Twitch video, "Highlight: TGC Lidar Tutorial" (here: https://www.twitch.tv/chadgolf/videos). Watch this video if you haven't seen it!

I get the most accurate adjustment by tracing several lines on a parking lot somewhere on the map with the Bing Aerial view, making sure to capture several lines that go up/down and side to side. Then switch to DigitalGlobal and move the image to wherever the most lines match up. The contrast of the narrow white line on the black pavement is very visible and accurately traced in Bing (usually other borders are fuzzy), the longer the line the better. Since the lines are flat on the ground, I think they produce more accurate results than tracing elevated objects on uneven surfaces. When comparing the resulting offsets using this method vs. a tracing sandtrap edge, my numbers were noticeably different. Extra tip: when tracing the lines, don't cover up the very ends of the parking lot lines - having the tips show from underneath let's you make sure your trace line is centered on the parking lot line.

This approach doesn't take much longer, and it is comforting knowing you have it right before spending hours tracing the golf course. Final tip: don't trace the whole course in OSM before importing to TGC the first time! Test it first with a few key features to make sure you have it right. Happy tracing!!
    I'm confused on the need for adjustment here. I initially started mapping my courses using the Bing aerial imaging and based upon zoom level of the Digitalglobe premium some of the lines were off which I understand is the point of adjustment. However what if we just do all the OSM mapping using the Digitalglobe content? Doesn't the negate the need for adjustment. This is the approach I took after my first few holes on my two in progress courses and all seems correct.
    My Lidar Courses
    - Foxford Hills Golf Club - Lidar
    - Eagle Ridge - The General
    - Cary Country Club - Lidar
    - Grand Geneva - The Brute

Comment

• ChadGolf
      ChadGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      The number one important thing is that you've mapped consistently on one single background, if you change backgrounds and they aren't aligned, then your features won't be aligned.

The second thing is that most of us find that Bing lines up best to the lidar (but not always). It's a little bit advanced, but you may find that your splines aren't 100% lined up with the lidar data and that it needs fine adjustments. It's hard to tell, but if you don't notice any problems I wouldn't worry about it.

• Sent you a PM with my Lidar file which does not produce trees.

Comment

• The Environment Agency (in England) publishes LIDAR data, but I don't know how to massage it into a form that TGC Designer Tool can use. I can use either a .laz file (Point Cloud) or a bunch of .asc files (DSM?). I'd appreciate it if anyone can throw some light on this.....

Comment

• ChadGolf
        ChadGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        laz should work.

• It does, apologies... it was late.

That. Is. Awesome.

Comment

• Quick question guys. First, Chad - you are the man. I am really enjoying your tools. Awesome.

Ok ok so my questions involves my tee boxes not showing up once I’ve generated my course. My guess is I labeled them wrong in OSM? I tagged them using tee_box. Should I be labeling them something else ?
        Last edited by Diablo25; 07-05-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• To Chad:

You were kind enough to offer to look at my .laz file but I’m wondering if you got my pm with the link? This was regarding the tree problem. Thanks for your great work and help.

Comment

• Chad,

Greetings, overall awesome tool. I have had a lot of fun with it. I have actually created a few python scripts to help my find lidar data with local lidar sights that just have a huge tile csv file with lat/longs and I need to find the 9 tiles that overlay the course. Hoping to contribute to your tool soon as I am sure its a grind to keep it going.

Anyhow..on to my question...
            In the Pacific Northwest we are surrounded by Woodland courses (with a few links styles sprinkled in for good measure). I have been busy splining several courses for my skytrak friends that we play on a regular basis, but love to also play them on the SIM. Most of the trees that are on the course are spot on, but once I get to the border of the fairway, the data doesn't pick up any trees where in reality there is a forest on the outside of the fairway. I have tried to trim the course with the mask.png file, with the assumption that the background would get filled in for the default of the course that I picked.

Well, turns out, that as I get to the borders of the fairway where there is a forest of trees, (10's to 100's of trees grouped together), the course that is exported displays zero trees at those locations. Other than manually planting, any tips on doing better in those situations?

Comment

• Anyone know why ... I'm creating my home course I started all went well ... when I made changes on open street maps try to upload new changes it keeps cutting off part if the course. I redid lidar and made sure when masking not to cut a thing off still cuts a part on each end off ? Anyone know why?

Comment

• Why is it cutting off part of course? ... I did it without a problem then after adding holes I cant seem to get entire course
                Last edited by Gonz; 07-15-2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Gonz
                  Gonz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ChadGolf can u tell me why this happened?

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s something wrong in Lidar or OSM. Maybe you labelled something wrong in OSM.

• hey guys, doing my first course. I have everything splined in open street map. I'm having difficulty drawing the line from tee one to fairway one, to green one. is it the line tool and you call it hole one or is there another way that ties it together? thanks

Comment

• kalcormier
                  kalcormier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep you're correct. In OSM use Line instead of area.

• Thank You everyone for helping me so much. I'm close to done with my course on my pc and I want to transfer it to my simulator computer to check for playability. I know where the course file is on PC. on the sim I go to users, choose my user, app data, local low, hbstudios, there are two folders here. one is tgc, the other is tgc 2019. there are no course folders in tgc2019. there is one in the tgc folder. If I place it in the courses folder in the tgc folder, it does not show up in the 2019 game under unpublished courses. Where should I put the course file, Thanks

Comment

• kelnmike11
                  kelnmike11 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  got it I had to make a blank course for it to generate a folder.
                  Thanks

• ----------

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem.png
Views:	740
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	215329

Hi Chad

I've created a few course layouts using the tool, but I've come across a problem which oddly only appears with one particular course....

Comment

• apjgilbert
                    apjgilbert commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fixed, library issue.

• In case anyone is interested, i’ve posted my first Lidar course, a RCR of the Green Pearl, in Moorea French Polynesia. I picked this one due to my interest in French courses and to see if I could make use of the Lidar I found on a government website. The Lidar files also had a rare separate data file for Above ground objects which I classified as trees. Chad’s program did pick these up which helped a lot in the realism of the course.. The course name is “TL Green Pearl Moorea v1.1”. The first version has some impossible pin locations on 13 which I rectified in v1.1.

Comment

Working...
                  X