X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

Hi everyone!

I've been hard at work for the last month developing tools that primarily will import Lidar data into TGC 2019 Courses.

There have been a lot of ups and downs, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to accept feedback from the community.

A completed course file is available here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYW...ew?usp=sharing

Please don't publish this course in game, it's not completed and I call 'dibs' on publishing this course after I finish decorating it.

I've completed the proof-of-concept phases and have created playable, realistic courses. I'm still working on the User Interface and instructions to make this the easiest that it can be, but I wanted to open the tools up for developers to contribute fixes.

The source code is available free on Github and releases will be available there under the "Releases" link. I'm targeting the initial release in a week or two as a Windows download:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	184974

I also am supporting import from OpenStreetMap golf courses ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...576/-115.28536 ) into TGC as splines if you don't want the lidar elevation or can't get lidar for your course.

Quick tips if you want to get started on your OpenStreetMap course: use the highest quality sat image available, map greens along the inside of THE FRINGE, map bunkers on the outside lip, map water on the outside lip.

For more information on the process or if you want to support future features of this tool, please read here: https://www.patreon.com/chadgolf

I hope this brings enjoyment to everyone. We all have courses that are personally meaningful to us, and I hope this software inspires you to create something for the community.
    - Chad

Special thanks to MTHunt, crazycanuck1985, friendBOMBER, and HTdumps for initial feedback and guidance.

Instructions and a tutorial linked from this page: https://chadrockey.github.io/TGC-Designer-Tools/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChadGolf; 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM.

• Try modifying the permissions on the course file so that "everyone" has "full control"

Comment

• Hi All. Has anyone been having any issues downloading the lidar information since the USGS went to TNM v2.0? I had used it when it was v1.0 but now things are different and it won't show any available products when I do it by the original instructions.

Comment

• The National Map website no longer supports Chrome if that is what you are using. Microsoft Edge works very well on this site.
        My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
        Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
        Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
        Boyne Moor Lidar
        BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
        CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
        Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
        Marco Island CC Lidar3
        Willow Metropark Lidar5
        Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
        Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
        Meadowbrook Northville (L)
        The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
        Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
        Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
        Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
        Ottumwa Country Club
        And Many More...

Comment

• Used your tutorial and instructions and finished my first course ever and holy cow it looks and feels EXACTLY like my local course! Can’t wait to get a few more local Southern California courses done. This is my first one using your genius. Let me know what you think! Black Gold golf course YL

Comment

• JacobM21
            JacobM21 commented
            Editing a comment
            How long did it take you to complete the course? How hard is it for a low level computer guy?

• I was following the build tutorial last night in search of some lidar data, but I came across something that didn't match the tutorial. I'm not sure if it's something that has changed over time or maybe my computer.

When I would locate the lidar data for the area I wanted, I would only see a "Download LAZ" link instead of the "Download LAS". Then, when I would download it, I would only get one file to download instead of the two that the tutorial shows.

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Can I continue with the course design with only the LAZ file?

I'm new at designing, but would like to give this a try since I've seen several people rave about how cool and user friendly using the Lidar Data is.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

• Brent628
            Brent628 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been seeing the same thing. Was hoping someone would post about it. Ive created a couple local courses and everything worked great. Tried last week and I'm having the same issue as you.

• s0707
            s0707 commented
            Editing a comment
            LAZ is a compressed version of the LAS file. Chad's tool will work with LAZ so you can download and use those files.

• Brent628
            Brent628 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. I tried to use any file I could get and was still getting errors. lol

• I keep getting this when I try to load the laz files. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Processing: OH_South_2007_016596.laz
          Could not find metadata for OH_South_2007_016596.laz.
          Could not determine lidar projection, please report an issue and send this lidar and metadata
          Alternatively, look for something called EPSG Value in Metadata and provide EPSG.

Comment

• jpotas
            jpotas commented
            Editing a comment
            Did 3638 or 3729 wok for you? Based on the file name I think you should try 3729 first.

• Brent628
            Brent628 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I actually had searched my PC for the EPSG and found a 4 digit number.. Entered that and it worked. Thanks for following up!

• JacobM21
            JacobM21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Brent628 I'm getting the same error code you got with your LAZ files. Think you can hook a brother up in regular people terms on how to fix the issue?

• Try 3638 or 3729 for the EPSG. You will have to enter it manually
          Last edited by jpotas; 01-30-2021, 09:45 PM.
          My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
          Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
          Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
          Boyne Moor Lidar
          BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
          CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
          Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
          Marco Island CC Lidar3
          Willow Metropark Lidar5
          Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
          Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
          Meadowbrook Northville (L)
          The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
          Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
          Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
          Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
          Ottumwa Country Club
          And Many More...

Comment

• Brent628
            Brent628 commented
            Editing a comment
            We are playing on TGC2019 with a QED simulator. My buddy has played this course since he was able to walk.. Once I get it done I'm going to let him play it a few times and see how it goes. I mean, overall it's for fun, so if the greens are off a little here and there it won't concern me that much. It's more about the approach shots to me. Having that feeling of hitting into the actual holes. The other 3 local courses I've done truly feel like you are playing there.

• jpotas
            jpotas commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to use 6350 for my Marco Island course and it is spot on. I have played the course in real life and when I play it on my Sim it is about perfect. I would make your basic course and play it, odds are you will be very happy with it.

• mal
            mal commented
            Editing a comment
            jpotas The 6350 EPSG code has nothing to do with the quality and accuracy of the lidar data. Specifically, this lidar data that we are talking about is not very good.

Anyway, as I said earlier, if you are building the course only for sim use in 2019 you probably won't even notice how off the data is. We could get into how lidar data is created and what interpolation is, but there really isn't a point. You could use 5 meter accurate DEM files ( basically junk) and most people would still be happy with how that looks and plays in the sim. At the end of the day its all about having fun.

• Whats up fellas. So I think I figured out how to get the Lidar Data and the xml file to download and save. Can someone help me locate my course data on my desktop? When I saved to TGC, I can see the course in my unpublished links, but I'm not able to find it anywhere on my computer. I used the directory shown in Chad's tutorial, but can't find it. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is something real easy.

Comment

• myrison
            myrison commented
            Editing a comment
            JacobM21 - appdata is often a hidden or protected folder in windows. Just type the complete address including the appdata folder into the folder bar or into “run” using Windows key + R to open the Shortcut box and an explorer window will open up to that directory. From that point you can navigate the rest of the folders further down the hierarchy without issue.

• jpotas
            jpotas commented
            Editing a comment
            Or select view, then show hidden folders.

• tommygun101101
            tommygun101101 commented
            Editing a comment
            You have to open hidden folders. It will show up after you do this. Go to view and then go to hidden folders and you will be able to choose to view them.

• Originally posted by JacobM21 View Post
          Whats up fellas. So I think I figured out how to get the Lidar Data and the xml file to download and save. Can someone help me locate my course data on my desktop? When I saved to TGC, I can see the course in my unpublished links, but I'm not able to find it anywhere on my computer. I used the directory shown in Chad's tutorial, but can't find it. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is something real easy.
          Go to the VIEW tab and click on Hidden Items. Now you can see the AppData folder.

Comment

• On my laptop, when I follow that path, after LocalLow there is no 2K. I have ProTee 2019. Inside that folder is only server and TGCSim. Is that why I get stuck trying to upload the mask?

Comment

• If you have the simulator version, it should be in "LocalLow\HB Studio Multimedia Ltd_\The golf Club 2019 Protee\Courses"

Comment

• Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!! I’ve spent three days looking for that!

Comment

• You guys were talking about an EPSG number. What are where do I use this with Chad's tool? I think this is the last step before I can start decorating. I'm getting the same error message that Brent was getting

Comment

• Okay, I keep getting stuck at this point. When I try to import the files after the mask step this is the window I see. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Comment

• You import the blank-slate course file on the first tab of Chad's TGC Tools. If you haven't created the blank-slate course, you do that on the tgc19 designer, with no holes on them, nothing auto-generated. What I like to do is have a separate directory for Chad's tool to work on, so I copy the blank-slate course to the separate directory, rename the file to something that reflects the real course name, and then import it in Chad's tool - first tab, "import .course" button.
                      Last edited by s0707; 02-06-2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X