$22,000 build a sim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $22,000 build a sim

looking for advice. Budget is $22k. Need to buy/build a home simulator for me and friends. Group is lefty and righty players. What do you build and why? Thanks in advance.

Does this include a new building or do you already have a space? If you have a space what are the dimensions?

Comment

14’8 wide, 22 feet long 11’8high.

Comment

Righy/lefty always poses the greatest difficulty. You could go with Trackman but your budget is already shot, but it may still be the best solution.

I would go GC2 and due a custom slider for right and lefty, or a simple way to pickup and set the GC2 for both right handed and left handed. You could go multiple gc2's but I believe that limits you to FSX software (not a terrible option, just expensive).

I would use JNPG for software as it allows multiple local user profiles including differen't tees for $250 per year and for $20 for 6 months you can join the online golf tour and have even more fun, play combines etc.

Comment

• griddle
          griddle commented
          Editing a comment
          re: type of simulator, Foresight is releasing the GCHawk which might be a good fit. I think it's suppose to be around $18k so not sure that leaves enough budget for everything else.

Can you adjust your setup by 90 degrees and make your sim 22 feet wide and 14 feet deep? I think 14 feet wide might be a little tight for both right and left handed players.

Comment

Righty/Lefty and permanent installation scream for a ProTee system. Instead of giving the bulk of the $22,000 to launch monitor mfg...why not spend about 5K on sim and software and spend the rest on making the room nice/professional looking. Full putting green, etc.

With some initial work on the front end (setting up) a Protee system will give you just as accurate information, no taping of balls or equipment, no shot delay, and a rock solid permanent setup...just walk in, turn on the lights and start hitting.

GC2 and other launch monitors are great systems especially for those that can't have a permanent installation or need to mobility. But, if you are going to have a permanent installation, I think the real value proposition is in the ProTee......just my 2 cents.

Tons of discussions and research on all the systems are here....just read and decide for yourself.

Comment

I cannot speak to protee but their support with TGC and the tour is great so I expect the same. I would at least look at this guys - https://www.golfsimulatorguys.com/ Another solution is to cal par2pro - they are on here as well and create a custom system for you.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback peeps. Appreciate it truly, a lot of decisions for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Nysparticus
                Thanks for all the feedback peeps. Appreciate it truly, a lot of decisions for sure!
                I would also suggest reaching out to Cory or Preston at Par2Pro. I set my sim up in December, and I can confidently state that I don’t have a lot of the same problems that a lot of others DIYers do with the screen and their cage.

I had a similar budget and I went with the GC2. There are only a couple things I’d do differently if I were to do it over. 1st is I’d have paid the extra $$ to have them fly out and install it.

2nd is I would NOT have bought a CCE mat. It only took a few days to start to develop tennis elbow due to the mat. I’d do a Divot Action or a True Strike instead, or the Ultimate series from Southwest Greens.

3rd is I’d take a good look at JAck Nicklaus Perfect Golf. It allows up to 8 local players and they can all play different tees if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeti Rojo View Post

I would also suggest reaching out to Cory or Preston at Par2Pro. I set my sim up in December, and I can confidently state that I don’t have a lot of the same problems that a lot of others DIYers do with the screen and their cage.

I had a similar budget and I went with the GC2. There are only a couple things I’d do differently if I were to do it over. 1st is I’d have paid the extra $$ to have them fly out and install it.

2nd is I would NOT have bought a CCE mat. It only took a few days to start to develop tennis elbow due to the mat. I’d do a Divot Action or a True Strike instead, or the Ultimate series from Southwest Greens.

3rd is I’d take a good look at JAck Nicklaus Perfect Golf. It allows up to 8 local players and they can all play different tees if you need to.
                  I have a quote from Par2Pro currently for my build that will have so much in common with gene438 build and I have a similar budget as above. Preston advocates for the CCE mat. I really don't know what to do, I was going to get the CCE but you're not the only person on the forum with sore parts from the mat. Others are fine it seems. Also anyone know how a ProTee mat (with cameras) compares to the GC2 with putting??

Comment

• jdgould
                    jdgould commented
                    Editing a comment
                    for what it's worth, I have a CCE mat and have since cut it and inserted a divot action. I'm not 100% sure if I'm elbow is rocked from the CCE mat or just from hitting thousands of balls. In other words, even if I teed every shot up and never hit the mat, I might still have tennis elbows from just hitting so many balls and enjoying my simulator so much...

I believe the protee is more accurate for putting than a gc2. Assuming you use their putting sensor. And I would second staying away from a CCE mat. There are as good/better alternatives out there where the risk of injury is significantly less.
                  Last edited by wbond; 04-16-2018, 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

with your budget, I would go with a gc2. you can get a used one in the $4000's or a refurb from foresight for $5400. for righty lefty, if you are opposed to picking up the gc2 and moving it, you could get 2 projectors and two screens set up on opposite ends of the room. you may have to deal with some offset at 14'8". trackman is good for righty lefty and could be a good option but i'm not sure about the space requirement or cost.

Comment

• Solstice72
                    Solstice72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You guys are helpful. inorkuo I think I'm going to drop the extra cash for a 4k up shift Epson Pro series lumen sprayer (like 5-6k lumen) large venue projector and the best screen screen you can reasonably buy. Incidentally I am squeamish about the SQ2 or whatever Par2Pro is calling the follow up from their high quality one. Preston said HQ3 maybe not until next fall.

The Reason Not trackman or gcquad is because I need options for software I am not going to be locking in for 4 years and be angry at a particular software product.

wbond that is helpful per your putting opinion thank you.
                    Based on gene's success and yours and Keither's about the superiority of the GSA & Protee mats for putting, Im now heavily leaning against gc2 which def puts me counter to the grain on this forum at least.

So gene438, your craftiness can't be matched. I'm a building lunk. Saw your video, how can I get that product and installed?? And your putting turf. And your holes. Embarrassingly copied frankly lol. I would like Preston to do it, but if they don't handle the product mat you have so I don't know how to proceed.

You guys are pillars here on the site so thanks for your comments to me.

• LEO MODE
                    LEO MODE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trackman has a lot of different software options, not GC Quad at the moment. Hopefully GC Quad opens up bluetooth though.

Leo I thought Trackman were going to focus on JNPG only ultimately. If not, that's great, but what's the status at this point in the various softwares' putting integration?

Comment

• LEO MODE
                    LEO MODE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trackman can play e6 TGC JNPG and now Trackman simulator. So 4 software are possible. Putting is all possible with all software but with Trackman 4 only.

I just got a sneak peak email yesterday and it looks like they will have JNPG integrated into the next version of TPS. By the looks of it you can choos from different ranges as well as play practice holes. I need to take a closer look, but it looked very promising.

Comment

• LEO MODE
                    LEO MODE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn't really be able to tell you about the accuracy in the game simulator, since each game has its own algorithm and you cannot compare the game simulator outcome versus real life result. Plus I'm not in a robot level to determine if putting was good on e6 versus other software.

One thing I can tell you for sure though, is that Trackman 4 has some issues detecting short putt less than 6ft. These days I haven't had a problem with the chipping probably due to the latest firmware update, but due to the limitation of the radar, I am still having some issues reading short putts which frustrates me because I have to keep putting until I can gimme it. I hope Trackman 5 even comes out with shorter putt detection. On the other hand, GC2 captures even 1ft putt very nicely. I would highly recommend to put Trackman 4 gimme distance to at least 8ft.

• mthunt
                    mthunt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wouldn't 6 foot gimmies be fine? I mean you aren't leaving them short when you have 12 feet to play with, right?

• LEO MODE
                    LEO MODE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sometimes even 8ft putt didnt even get detected by Trackman. I don’t think it has to do with the distance itself but more with the ball speed that Trackman 4 has to read. So even with 10ft distance if I putt it very slowly causing the ball speed to go low sometimes it wouldn’t detect it. If this makes sense.

Originally posted by inorkuo View Post
                  with your budget, I would go with a gc2. you can get a used one in the $4000's or a refurb from foresight for $5400. for righty lefty, if you are opposed to picking up the gc2 and moving it, you could get 2 projectors and two screens set up on opposite ends of the room. you may have to deal with some offset at 14'8". trackman is good for righty lefty and could be a good option but i'm not sure about the space requirement or cost.
                  Lol, I was busy sidetracking the conversation to help answering another user in this thread. Sorry. But I would support inorkuo on this as well. With a $22k budget, having a GC2 or 2 GC2s or GC2+HMT will serve you very well for the simulator game. Trackman 4 indoor only version is $20k so it is out of the budget. Trackman 3 is about $13k but doesn't read chip/putt.

Comment

Working...
                  X